Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Front Mount Ls1 Third Gen w/ Truck Mani Kit

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2013, 10:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 88blackiroc
After talking to my dad a bit, he convinced me to go ahead and swap to r&p.
However it'll be a custom power R&P. I've been looking it up and it seems most either do fourth gen or one guy on TGO ended up using one from a 97 thunderbird. IIRC the tie rods were very close when he ran a 17" rim.
I've driven several manual rack cars. They're not worth the cost on a street car even with a small tire. You would be better off with a manual S10 box if you want to drop some weight and gain clearance. Back in 2002/2003? I met someone at a local meet with a fabbed junkyard power rack in his Firebird. That thing looked and felt as awful as that TGO Thunderbird rack. IMO converting to a power rack is about as pointless as fitting a C4 IRS onto a F-body. Good luck though!
Old 05-08-2013, 10:21 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Marc 85Z28
I've driven several manual rack cars. They're not worth the cost on a street car even with a small tire. You would be better off with a manual S10 box if you want to drop some weight and gain clearance. Back in 2002/2003? I met someone at a local meet with a fabbed junkyard power rack in his Firebird. That thing looked and felt as awful as that TGO Thunderbird rack. IMO converting to a power rack is about as pointless as fitting a C4 IRS onto a F-body. Good luck though!
I didn't read enough to hear that the thunderbird rack was awful?
Have you ever driven/seen a third gen with a retrofitted fourth gen rack?
Old 05-08-2013, 02:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

I didn't read enough to hear that the thunderbird rack was awful?
Have you ever driven/seen a third gen with a retrofitted fourth gen rack?
I've never seen or even heard of anybody actually finishing their foolish 4th gen rack conversion. I know it was a big deal years ago on TGO. Lots of people tried. I'm not as active over there as I used to be, but if I remember correctly, everyone failed miserably.

Some more advice: Rather than hack up your entire front end to make a turbo kit for another vehicle work, just build a custom setup that fits what you've already got. From my experimentation, if you insist on staying with truck manifolds down and forward you'll need to cut both flanges off and weld on V-bands. Run a Jeep steering shaft with a S10 manual box and flip the center link. A crossover must be CUSTOM MADE on car to clear the box, and it will look weird if it clears at all (dependent upon location of V-band on manifold).
Old 05-08-2013, 03:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Marc 85Z28
I've never seen or even heard of anybody actually finishing their foolish 4th gen rack conversion. I know it was a big deal years ago on TGO. Lots of people tried. I'm not as active over there as I used to be, but if I remember correctly, everyone failed miserably.

Some more advice: Rather than hack up your entire front end to make a turbo kit for another vehicle work, just build a custom setup that fits what you've already got. From my experimentation, if you insist on staying with truck manifolds down and forward you'll need to cut both flanges off and weld on V-bands. Run a Jeep steering shaft with a S10 manual box and flip the center link. A crossover must be CUSTOM MADE on car to clear the box, and it will look weird if it clears at all (dependent upon location of V-band on manifold).
Do you recall why they failed? I researched it a bit and one guy that had done it said it had a horrid turning radius. Makes me wonder if racecraft spindles will fix the problem.
And I thought I mentioned it already, but I do plan on doing a custom crossover and vbands if or when this kit won't work. I went to test fit the crossover last night and couldn't get a really get a solid idea on where it would sit since the kmember is so close on the pass side
Old 05-08-2013, 03:35 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Subscribed. Looking good so far. I really hope you get everything to work!
Old 05-08-2013, 09:06 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks man!
I got the crossover mounted tonight. And it is about a 1" 1/2 too close to the rad. I talked to my sisters boyfriend who is a welder and we're going to see what we can do. What I plan is when the vbands are welded on, cut some of the tubing off at an angle so it will not only go up, but closer to the block to clear the rad and to have the the sway bar available with some sort of spacer I imagine.
We're going to see what we can do WITHOUT cutting or messing with the frame/body.
If all seems lost then it'll be time for a custom setup! Can't hurt to try since I already have it all, right? Lol
Old 05-19-2013, 12:51 PM
TECH Apprentice

Update:
Got the vbands and also tacked, fitted, and grinded/cut the hot side to face up and backwards a bit to accommodate the turbo.
Everything seemed to fit fine so it'll go out for welding Tuesday!

The little bit of clearance to the radiator. It i see any problems, ill stand the radiator up but I think it'll be okay.

Old 05-23-2013, 08:16 AM
Teching In

Its gettin there!
Old 07-01-2013, 09:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

Little update.
Been busy the last month and a half with work and what not so not too much progress.
Got my derale fans 95% wired up. Just need to hook the power up.
Also got my fixed/revised bov pipe back. The first time I recieved it with my kit my turbosmart bov wouldnt line up right. Kinda like putting a female fitting on a female fitting.
Anyways I test fitted it in the car and saw that it wouldnt even clear with the way it would be positioned with the outlet up top.
Sent it back to Jon at Huron Speed (who i brought the kit from) and he really hooked me up!
I know people brag about the CS but Jon is really top notch. He almost always responds minutes after I email him and is more than helpful!

Much better now!

Other little accomplishments.
I got all my piping back from being welded and test fitted it all.
I have yet to put it all back together just yet as I still haven't decided what im doing with the cold side off the turbo. Ill try to get some pics later tonight about what im talking about, my phones dead atm.

Got my gauges wired up. Still need to mount the solenoid for the eboost2 and run the wires for that but it shouldn't be too bad.

Tonight I messed around a little bit with the tensioner and alt. relocation brackets. I bolted it up all right (I think) and came out with the belt being too loose? I talked to Jon a couple days prior and he said to order a 73" 6 rib belt which i did.
Maybe I just mounted something wrong.. idk..
Heres a couple pictures of how I mounted the alternator.

The only other thing I can think of besides the alternator being mounted wrong. Is that maybe I put the tensioner on wrong? I know it sounds stupid but I was looking up some other builds the day prior and saw that it sat closer inside to everything. It also had the smooth side of the belt running on it instead of the grooved. It didnt seem like flipping it would help much but I didnt try.
Im sure its something simple im over looking which is the crappy thing
Old 07-01-2013, 11:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The only other thing I can think of besides the alternator being mounted wrong. Is that maybe I put the tensioner on wrong? I know it sounds stupid but I was looking up some other builds the day prior and saw that it sat closer inside to everything. It also had the smooth side of the belt running on it instead of the grooved. It didnt seem like flipping it would help much but I didnt try.
Im sure its something simple im over looking which is the crappy thing
I ran a 72” 5/8 belt (used with a turn one pump) when I still had the HS relocation kit.
Old 07-01-2013, 11:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by LT1RAY
I ran a 72” 5/8 belt (used with a turn one pump) when I still had the HS relocation kit.
I just reread the instructions again which says a 73" belt if running all stock pullies.
Also read that the belt does run smooth side on the idler pulley. Fml, so that rules out one thing at least. So it's either the alternator or maybe I got the wrong belt?

Anyways, this is kind of the cold side dilemma atm.

Originally I thought I'd have enough room to go ahead and run a straight pipe off the turbo to a 45 turning up to a 90 meeting the j pipe going to the intercooler. But as room has it, I won't be able to fit a straight pipe anymore so I'm hoping I can do a 45 right off the turbo to a sharp 90.
I don't think it'll be too much of a backpressure issue, but that's kind of why I'm asking.
The goal is to come off the turbo then cut a crescent into the air dam? I think that's the name for it, and then run the pipe through here so ill have no worries on ground clearance.

I know it really sucks having me explain so ill grab a few pictures tmr.
Old 07-02-2013, 08:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

Went out to he garage and snapped a couple of pictures to double check I'm running everything right.

This is how much belt is left.

Old 07-02-2013, 09:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

It looks like you have an under drive crank pulley, that would explain why you have an extra 2 inchs of belt
Old 07-02-2013, 10:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by LT1RAY
It looks like you have an under drive crank pulley, that would explain why you have an extra 2 inchs of belt
Son of a bitch, you seem to be right. Haha
I thought it was the stock crank pulley, I got it when I brought the engine.
Old 08-23-2013, 07:53 PM
TECH Apprentice

Figure its time for a little update:

Without turbo

with it

You cant really tell, but the rad. support got notched so i had a little more wiggle room.

Starting to get buttoned up a little

Underside with the swap bar back on. (had to make some 2 inch spacers)

Oil lines drilled, tapped and installed

No more ugly cruise control unit which didnt work reguardless

The only piping which needs to be finished. I figure ill extend the 180 a couple inch and get a 90 degree welded to the end of the the pipe which will meet the turbo instead of 90's.

And last but not least, more stuff!

Thats basically where im at now. I did get to start it just to satisfy myself, which i did lol, and couldnt be happier!
But theres still alot of work that needs to be finished.
Still need to order the fuel system, install the clutch, finish the piping obvisouly, figure out what im going to do about steering (pondering a thunderbird rack&pinion) and throw in the injectors and map sensor i have laying around. Thats most of the big stuff iirc besides a tune.
Old 08-26-2013, 07:13 PM
12 Second Club

subbed
Old 09-02-2013, 01:17 AM
TECH Apprentice

Well update! Made a last minute decision and picked this up over the weekend

Specs:
6.0 truck motor
Stock crank, eagle h-beam rods and je -22 pistons
Comp cams .598 .598 236/232 115 lsa cam
Arp mains, ported ls6 oil pump, ctsvr lifters and a few other goodies

I have some 317s at my house I need to have resurfaced to throw on.
I plan on some nice BT springs, stock rockers with trunion upgrade and some arp head studs. Should be a real nice combo when it comes together
Old 09-03-2013, 09:07 AM
Teching In

looks good keep up good work. love them 3rd gens
Old 10-10-2013, 06:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

Little update:
Been slowly gathering some parts and putting the short block together
But first off some cleaning
Before:

After:

And I picked up some ls9 head gaskets and arp head studs

Installed:

To finish the motor I still need to
-swap the pan, windage tray, pick up tube and swap the oil pan
-order some valve springs and valve seals and put the heads on
-grab a ls6 intake and windage tray
and pretty much swap over all of the acc.'s. im trying to keep it as complete as possible to sell... or maybe use it for future project

Also ordered a 97' thunderbird rack. Sending that and the k member back tomorrow to get modified for the rack and have it changed to accept springs.

Still a long way from being finished unfortunately.
I need to put the clutch in, finally get the front end buttoned up, fuel system, and get some suspension pieces to handle it all.
Old 10-11-2013, 01:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Have you mocked up the Thunderbird rack location? Will the steering shaft(s) even clear your manifold and crossover?

Quick Reply: Front Mount Ls1 Third Gen w/ Truck Mani Kit