Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Todays Challenge: What turbo for a 6.0L, 600hp, 2,300lb car...

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2013, 07:32 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

for 600bhp why not stick a TVS 2300 on there? Blower will easily meet the power requirements and a reasonabily compact package.
Old 05-16-2013, 07:34 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by 1970camaroRS
That's interesting. I had considered the On3 before, but I didn't realize they were that physically small. Also, now that I have the car in my garage, its apparent that I have more room to play with than I thought I would. Previous owner already did the firewall and trans tunnel work and revised the steering to swap in a V8. An air to air Intercooler is out of the question though...
I would just spray meth to it and 93 pump and call it a day. for 600 flywheel hp, you will not be running much psi or timming to accomplish those goals. I also had that On3 76 on my list of potential turbos to use.
Old 05-16-2013, 08:47 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Sarg
Small air to water can make things much easier to locate. That and a water tank over the rear tires may help in your application.
I'm kind of leaning towards a small air to water now. I have to run 91 pump and really don't want to have to use meth.

Originally Posted by chuntington101
for 600bhp why not stick a TVS 2300 on there? Blower will easily meet the power requirements and a reasonabily compact package.
Hood clearance is an issue and I don't want to cut the hood or add any lumps to it. So, no supercharger. Thought about a Procharger, but I have other reasons why I'm leaning towards a turbo. Single exhaust on the passenger side simplifies things greatly. Also, I have just simply always wanted a turbo car.

Originally Posted by BMF_Racing
I would just spray meth to it and 93 pump and call it a day. for 600 flywheel hp, you will not be running much psi or timming to accomplish those goals. I also had that On3 76 on my list of potential turbos to use.
No meth AND I'm saddled with 91 pump. Will probably squeeze in a small air to water cooler. I will probably only need to run 8psi for my goal. Maybe 10. But no more than that. That on3 76 looks like the way to go.
Old 05-16-2013, 09:33 AM
10 Second Club

Ok guys, here's a walk-around.

Todays Challenge: What turbo for a 6.0L, 600hp, 2,300lb car...-58uzaht.jpg
Things to note here: the front wire wheels will have to go. The body looks WAY worse in these photos than is reality. The 'wavy' look is actually a mix between primer hues and the camera playing tricks. The hood is not a solid piece of rust, it's actually aluminum and painted red. Also take note of the Chrysler rear wheels...

Todays Challenge: What turbo for a 6.0L, 600hp, 2,300lb car...-fpwlita.jpg
A Chrysler 8-3/4" has been narrowed and swapped in. It's installed in the stock location on the standard leaf springs. Rear tires are currently 215s with almost 2" more room between the wheels and the leaf springs. There's maybe another half-inch of growing room towards the fend too. Might be able to cram some 245 drag radials back there. Also note the steering wheel, very neat wooden job. It's on a Chrysler something or other steering column too.

Todays Challenge: What turbo for a 6.0L, 600hp, 2,300lb car...-epc2ckw.jpg
Now the fun part! The firewall and trans tunnel have been cut and setback/expanded to fit a Chrysler 318 and auto transmission. My 6.0L and TH400 should fit in there with plenty of room! The guy did a great job too, it's not all hacked up. He also rerouted the steering shaft so that it runs more parallel to the engine and will allow for more header clearance. The downside is that there's a very small foot well and the brake and gas pedal will have to be mounted pretty far to the left. That might be reworked depending on if there's extra space with the engine and trans installed.

All in all, I'm very happy with my $500 investment.

Now to get my T-bird running and sold!
Old 05-16-2013, 10:39 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

looking good man. I dig it. its going to be a fun little car when its all done.
Old 05-16-2013, 12:22 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Almost the exact same car my friend is putting a 351 based 427 ford motor into. I TRIED to convince him to go LS but he was just dead set on the Ford motor for some reason. It is a cool little car and it looks like you have a much better starting point with the steering already reworked. I would look into some of the S370-S380 based Borg Warner turbos. Might be just the ticket, but they are all T4 based.

Quick Reply: Todays Challenge: What turbo for a 6.0L, 600hp, 2,300lb car...