Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Probably a stupid question for supercharger

Old 05-31-2013, 12:22 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Probably a stupid question for supercharger

Ok, I have tried to do some research but I want some more info on this. I have kicked around the idea o supercharging just for a little bit of boost, nothing crazy. Just when I want some kick I can punch the gas, I'd probably go no more then 12 lbs.

Will I need to get a blower cam? I do know I will need to stud the bottom end
Old 05-31-2013, 12:43 AM
TECH Resident

Meth and. Fuel. and then better head gaskets like GM LS-9's. Brute speed cam is nice. Then 317 heads.

Hope you faired we'll with the tornado.
Old 05-31-2013, 05:49 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by js2fst
Meth and. Fuel. and then better head gaskets like GM LS-9's. Brute speed cam is nice. Then 317 heads.

Thanks Dave!

http://shop.brutespeed.com/Brute-Spe...d-Camshaft.htm
To the OP, here is our blower camshaft.

http://shop.brutespeed.com/ATI-1TE10...-Speed-Kit.htm
Here is our complete ProCharger kit. Bob

PM's disabled, please e-mail me
E-mail: brutespeed@gmail.comob@brutespeed.com

https://brutespeed.com/ Link to website

Old 05-31-2013, 06:11 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts

you can probably get 450ish no problem with no cam . Their is a used kit for sale for 4000 , buy it .
Old 05-31-2013, 06:49 AM
TECH Regular

A blower cam will really wake things up. It changed my torque curve on the dyno a lot, in a good way of course and also made me some extra HP. Just remember, a custom spec blower cam will be better than anything you can buy off the shelf, as long as the guy who specs it knows what hes doing. The Brute Speed cam looks to be one of the best options for a centri blower like the procharger.

You should be able to safely run 10 PSI on a stock bottom end (no studs either) before you have to start worrying about **** breaking, of course there are others who have had bad luck or poor tuning and have broke things with a lot less stress on the motor. I run 10 PSI on a stock motor making about 550 WHP and have had no issues with my engine.
Old 05-31-2013, 12:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by js2fst

Thanks bud, my family's house was about 1/4 mile from the distruction. it just missed us thank the car gods <3 lol

As far as Procharging, i dont know if i want to go that way, i have seen a few supercharger kits that fit nice under the hood. the reason i dont want a pro/turbocharger is i dont want another radiator and i dont want to risk losing the A/C As some know Oklahoma is very indecisive with its weather. Supercharging would be my idea because i can remove the intake and slap the charger on it, do new belts and run 6-8lbs im not looking for great power just a little umph yeah know?

Please bare with me as im still a little new to this FI thing. but as far as having to do piping and all that for the pro/turbo charging, thats getting up there where i dont want to be, more parts to go wrong xD
Old 05-31-2013, 01:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

If you were interested in a turbo setup, there are turbo kits that keep stock radiator and ac. With a procharger setup you can keep the stock rad and ac and only need a different fan setup to clear the head unit.
Old 05-31-2013, 02:12 PM
TECH Regular

so your looking for a top mount SC? If you have an fbody, your going to need to cut the top of the engine bay
Old 05-31-2013, 02:49 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

If you want to see a copy of the ProCharger installation instructions, send me an e-mail to brutespeed@gmail.com asking for them. Bob

Old 05-31-2013, 05:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by camarochvy21
so your looking for a top mount SC? If you have an fbody, your going to need to cut the top of the engine bay
Well i remember looking at a whipple a while back and it didnt require any modifications, it fit perfect.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-in...2-ls3-ls7.html
Old 06-01-2013, 11:00 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

before you decide to drop the coin on boost, id buy a cam and drive it like that. that will be a big difference in itself. the cam should put your setup at 400-420 depending on drivetrain ect.... id def get the cam. its only a 389 dollar upgrade and it makes such a difference in the powerband.
Old 06-01-2013, 01:27 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Mista Blazer
Well i remember looking at a whipple a while back and it didnt require any modifications, it fit perfect.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-in...2-ls3-ls7.html
Hmmm good find. Are they getting good reviews?
Old 06-02-2013, 12:54 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by camarochvy21
Hmmm good find. Are they getting good reviews?
Im not 100% sure, i cant find any for sale and i cant find anything on their website for it. they are keeping with modern cars sadly. i personly think that would be my best option for how much boost i want.

Main reason i ask if i have to cam inorder to run a SC is because my cam decision will be bassed off of that. i should probably include she is my DD :x
Old 06-02-2013, 08:28 AM
TECH Veteran

just for a little bit of boost, nothing crazy. Just when I want some kick I can punch the gas, I'd probably go no more then 12 lbs.
This made me LOL. whats that gonna be, over 600hp?

I lol'd becuase it seemed like for the a long time when people wanted a little bit of boost it was 4-5psi, then it was 7-10, lol. Love the progression.
Old 06-02-2013, 09:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm chiming in here because if you are truly married to a SC ... I can add some advice from my experience. My first response will be that I absolutely love my choice for what I use it for ( see my sig) With that said I will also urge you to reconsider a pro charger ( less expensive and expandable when you want more power). I have never dealt with him but I've read about many people who have and can recognize the great customer service ... Bob @ Brute Speed is you man.

Now that is out of the way ... Lets get back to your original question & set up request. If it is a SC that you desire ... You are limited to just one ....
Magnuson MP112. Unfortunatly nothing else will fit under the hood without major modifications. There have been a few Whipple builds & a nice TVS install however, both are very invasive and not what I would consider for a DD backyard mechanic like myself. The little Maggie does a great job for what your looking for. Please search the site for more Maggie tips but I can tell you briefly that it will cost quite a bit. Install will take much on the fly modification as none of these kits for Fbodies are a perfect fit. It's not too bad, you will have to cut the cowl under the windshield as the Maggie sits too far back towards the firewall ( not too bad of a job). Also, you will have trim the inside bottom of the hood as the Maggie sits a little high ( also, not big of a job). When all is said and done you will have more than just a little UMPHH. This little blower will create a torque curve to put you in your seat and the ability to walk most "street warriors". The negative is that if you get the bug & need more horse power ... You are limited. The 112 is limited. If you are willing to live with your initial request you are golden. Note:
-12 lbs boost is not going to happen ( not without terrible side effects ie: internal air temps & over spinning the blower) you will be limited to about 8-9 lbs before belt slip & IATs become a major issue.
- positive displacement blowers are more forgiving than that of other methods of FI, so you can get away with a less traditional FI cam. A cam for most PD blowers can also produce well on naturally aspirated motors. There again Bob can help or have a custom grind specced for you.
-take a look at the sticky " the real cost of FI". You will need to consider your rearend, clutch ..... The list goes on & on.
At the end of he day you won't regret it.
Hope this helps.
Old 06-03-2013, 06:24 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Originally Posted by NitrOmm
I'm chiming in here because if you are truly married to a SC ... I can add some advice from my experience. My first response will be that I absolutely love my choice for what I use it for ( see my sig) With that said I will also urge you to reconsider a pro charger ( less expensive and expandable when you want more power). I have never dealt with him but I've read about many people who have and can recognize the great customer service ... Bob @ Brute Speed is you man.
Thanks, I appreciate it! Bob

Old 06-03-2013, 09:18 AM
TECH Resident

id suggest the procharger kit over supercharger for these cars for basically what has been listed above plus u can run intercooler on the procharger kits to help intake temps alot, do that with bobs blower cam (have it in my currently N/A 347 with 9:1 cr and pulls harder then stock bolt on and runs great), head studs with ls9 gaskets and 317s ull have a good hard pulling motor for fairly cheap, pro charger will still have instant response compared to turbo also so ur not losing anything on that aspect
Old 06-04-2013, 12:12 AM
Launching!

Ok, I have tried to do some research but I want some more info on this. I have kicked around the idea o supercharging just for a little bit of boost, nothing crazy. Just when I want some kick I can punch the gas, I'd probably go no more then 12 lbs.

Will I need to get a blower cam? I do know I will need to stud the bottom end
FWIW if you want something simple that you can drive anywhere it's hard to beat Bob's D1 kit. It comes with everything you need all packaged nicely and labeled with very good instructions.
Old 06-04-2013, 06:49 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by 97WS6SCharged
FWIW if you want something simple that you can drive anywhere it's hard to beat Bob's D1 kit. It comes with everything you need all packaged nicely and labeled with very good instructions.
Thanks, I appreciate it! Bob

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Probably a stupid question for supercharger