Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Budget/eBay head studs

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2014, 01:49 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

there is always the build your own stud kit option. I don't know what the lengths are but 8.8 125 Ksi Metric studs.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#standard-threaded-rods/=qzs135
Old 03-08-2014, 01:55 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Forcefed86
You must have poor reading comprehension skills. Never did I defend china copies or claim their manufacturing process (or product) was anything near ARP's. Never did I claim ARP did not have a superior product. My gripe was the price difference between two very similar ARP stud kits. And that we are paying 10X+ the cost for a fastener that’s 20% stronger than standard grade 8 hardware.

The company in question (or any company) Can purchase 8740 steel stock and machine hardware from it. The process to do this is not some well kept R&D secret. With the proper equipment, any well equipped hardware machining company can make a stud from 8740. While the machine work may be poor, and the alloy used sub-par, ARP does not have a patent on the process. Again, I’m not claiming china doesn't steal designs and make all kinds poor copies. But in this case you’re wrong in thinking anyone stole anything from ARP.
And the lawsuits against Procomp or Speedmaster or whatever they are calling themselves this week? The ones for stealing ARP's trademarks, patent designs? Or the lawsuit by MSDs parent company for the same? Sure they have stolen. Its what those Chinese companies do. That's how they sell so cheap. Do none of the work and research, produce the product.
Old 03-08-2014, 05:38 AM
8 Second Club

I'm not going to go back and read all the pages in this thread but I will share my one and only experience with the eBay head studs. CRAP!!!!!! Not worth the $60 you pay for them. They are week, almost none of the Allen head holes in the top of the studs are machined correctly and some didn't even have the holes at all. We used them once on my dad's all motor LS powered mini pulling tractor and broke one while torquing them down at only 60 ft lbs. The old saying still stand true, you get what you pay for!
Old 03-08-2014, 06:26 AM
8 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

As I said in here before. I've had both eBay and arp studs. And unfortunately the only one that broke was an arp it's obviously a fluke because this isn't something that happens often but I did go with arp again this time around and just hoping for the best. But the stud broke at 62ft lbs on my last pass was really surprised to be honest. **** happens.....
Old 03-08-2014, 08:18 AM
TECH Enthusiast

i ordered a set off ebay this week too and got the same refund and email about them, ive moved on and just gonna order arp head bolts for 40 dollars more
Old 03-08-2014, 12:14 PM
8 Second Club

Received 731 Likes on 536 Posts

Originally Posted by Brian Hoss
And the lawsuits against Procomp or Speedmaster or whatever they are calling themselves this week? The ones for stealing ARP's trademarks, patent designs? Or the lawsuit by MSDs parent company for the same? Sure they have stolen. Its what those Chinese companies do. That's how they sell so cheap. Do none of the work and research, produce the product.
Got a link to this lawsuit your talking about? I'd be interested in reading it. Again your going off on a rant about china products in general... Anyone can make a stud/bolt/screw etc. And they can make it from any material they choose.

Originally Posted by THADD
I'm not going to go back and read all the pages in this thread but I will share my one and only experience with the eBay head studs. CRAP!!!!!! Not worth the $60 you pay for them. They are week, almost none of the Allen head holes in the top of the studs are machined correctly and some didn't even have the holes at all. We used them once on my dad's all motor LS powered mini pulling tractor and broke one while torquing them down at only 60 ft lbs. The old saying still stand true, you get what you pay for!
Yes and no. I wouldn't put cheap china crap in a competition motor like yours. I've had the ARP and OE head bolts/studs break at very low torque as well. One bad experience doesn't damn a product. Esp when we are talking about a peace of hardware. I agree the china stuff doesn't have near the quality control ARP does. I'm sure the forging process is not as good either but I don't think any of us know that 100%.

Fact is some people are going very fast on these studs. I've seen 5.0x 1/8th miles on a basically stock 5.3 at 32psi through a t88 on these "china studs". They were torqued to 75ftlbs. The setup has made many many runs at this power level without any issues.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-in...nd-5-3-4s.html

To me a big dollar engine gets nice ARP hardware. A cheap JY setup gets cheap hardware. I see no reason for the average joe building a 500-600whp setup to blow $360+ on an ARP stud kit. The set I just installed on my motor I torqued to 70ftlbs. And I was sweating bullets at every torque wrench "click" over 50ftlbs.

Last edited by Forcefed86; 03-08-2014 at 12:20 PM.
Old 03-09-2014, 12:17 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ordered studs from alper maybe a month and a half ago and decided to check them out last night.

All the nuts fit in a socket fine and are machined correctly. Also all the allen head portions on the end of the main studs were machined correctly.

Guess we will see what happens when I install them.
Old 03-09-2014, 01:30 AM
On The Tree

http://www.iptrademarkattorney.com/2...ringement.html
Old 03-09-2014, 01:34 AM
On The Tree

http://www.rfcexpress.com/lawsuits/p...et-al/summary/

But I'm guessing its just a block. Not proprietary engineering here either.
Old 03-09-2014, 05:53 AM
8 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 95bowtie
Ordered studs from alper maybe a month and a half ago and decided to check them out last night.

All the nuts fit in a socket fine and are machined correctly. Also all the allen head portions on the end of the main studs were machined correctly.

Just installed two sets from alper on Friday couple jy motors torqued them with arp lube and their specs up to 75ft lbs we were waiting for it to pop but no problems. I won't be reusing them but so far 3 sets alper no breaks 2 sets arp 1 broken stud.
Old 03-09-2014, 06:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Brian Hoss
http://www.rfcexpress.com/lawsuits/p...et-al/summary/

But I'm guessing its just a block. Not proprietary engineering here either.
Hoss I see your point, just don't see how it ties in with Forcefeds.
Old 03-09-2014, 10:56 AM
8 Second Club

Received 731 Likes on 536 Posts

Did you actually read this? Its a lawsuit from 2010 about trademark infringement of a "2000" logo. It has nothing to do with "stealing" a products design.
Old 03-10-2014, 01:09 AM
Teching In

I also just purchased a set of the studs from alper and intend to use some good ol' ARP lube... *fingers crossed*
Old 03-11-2014, 04:22 PM
11 Second Club

i wouldn't buy from kmj performance ever again! Had to file a damn ebay claim to get my ******* money back. smdh
Old 03-12-2014, 08:06 AM
TECH Resident

^^^Sorry to hear man. What happened? I bought the studs off of them a few months ago without a hiccup.
Old 03-12-2014, 09:49 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 95bowtie

Originally Posted by Camaro9969
Just installed two sets from alper on Friday couple jy motors torqued them with arp lube and their specs up to 75ft lbs we were waiting for it to pop but no problems. I won't be reusing them but so far 3 sets alper no breaks 2 sets arp 1 broken stud.
How are these holding up? I had a Lq4 put together with stock GM bolts and Ive been thinking of tearing it down to do a stud or ARP bolt kit.
Old 04-16-2014, 10:19 PM
Restricted User

Received 107 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by WheelsUp84z
The only thing I dont like is the smaller studs dont have a hex bit slot to tighten them into the block with, gonna use your fingers.
I just ran into this problem. I cannot get the studs to tighten into the block. I think the threads are dirty, so I'll have to find a way to clean them.

Also, how far do these small studs tighten into the block? This is my first go at putting studs in an LS. The larger studs all went in fine, torqued to 75 ft-lb with no issues. The couple of small ones that I did manage to get in by hand, I ran them down until they stopped and now only about the 75% of the threads in the nut are actually holding onto the stud, since it went down so far into the block.
Old 04-16-2014, 11:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

So if I have a 05 5.3 and have 317 heads I need 04+ studs because I already had the older year studs but my LS1 popped on the dyno.
Old 04-17-2014, 02:31 AM
8 Second Club

Received 700 Likes on 441 Posts

Originally Posted by JoeNova
I just ran into this problem. I cannot get the studs to tighten into the block. I think the threads are dirty, so I'll have to find a way to clean them.

Also, how far do these small studs tighten into the block? This is my first go at putting studs in an LS. The larger studs all went in fine, torqued to 75 ft-lb with no issues. The couple of small ones that I did manage to get in by hand, I ran them down until they stopped and now only about the 75% of the threads in the nut are actually holding onto the stud, since it went down so far into the block.
The threads on these cheap studs might need some cleaning with a small file. I had to clean up a few.
Sounds like you might have to use the orig bolts for the little ones. I didn't have any issues on my L33, but either your block is drilled deeper or your studs are slightly shorter.

Ron
Old 04-17-2014, 02:34 AM
8 Second Club

Received 700 Likes on 441 Posts

Originally Posted by HolyShiznit
So if I have a 05 5.3 and have 317 heads I need 04+ studs because I already had the older year studs but my LS1 popped on the dyno.
Correct.

Ron

Quick Reply: Budget/eBay head studs