Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

LT1 will not Rev past 4500 RPM

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2013, 03:48 PM
TECH Addict

Received 130 Likes on 78 Posts

Good news is, your Baro pressure is stable.
Bad news is, your MAF Gm per sec tells me that your BOV/Bypass is opening way before your MAF is maxed out.

On my own turbo car, once the engine sees even 1psi of boost, the MAF is maxed out at 471. You MAXIMUM MAF reading, even at 97% throttle is 334 at 4,425 RPM. I'm looking at one file. I'll open the others to see if they differ.
At 100% throttle, 4,950 rpm it's only 155. That tells me you've got air being diverted via the bypass/blowoff valve.

What controls your BOV/Bypass? A spring or do you have a boost controller?

Originally Posted by mmdehaven
Yes I did change them to 42LB.
Old 08-09-2013, 03:55 PM
TECH Addict

Another question(about to leave for the movies with the wife ) What kind of hose couples the S/C to the air filter? I remember guys telling me about some hoses collapsing all but shut at certain RPM levels due to the suction.
Old 08-09-2013, 08:35 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have a good time at the movies!

I feel like such an idiot. I've been refreshing page two of the blog all evening looking for a follow up post....

Anyway, the BOV is plumbed with some cheesy hose supplied it the kit. Could that be the issue? Couldn't I just vent the non-pressure side to the atmosphere (under the car) and if I went into a high boost situation or get out of the throttle it would just purge?
Old 08-09-2013, 10:11 PM
TECH Addict

Here's what I'm talking about on the hose...
https://ls1tech.com/forums/non-lsx-p...arger-lt1.html

Pertinent text..." Also the intake hose that comes with the kit from procharger is flexable and will usuallly collapse restricting boost so I had one made of steel."

Just to be clear, I mean the hose/tube that connects from the Supercharger to the Air Filter. To get the idea, get a straw for a soda, put one end into your mouth and suck on it as hard as you can, while pinching the middle of the straw with your fingers. The guys are talking about that hose from the S/C to the air filter being sucked on so hard that it pinches the hose closed, just from the vacuum it's drawing.

Another reference..."About 10K ago, the original "Flexi-tube" orange intake hose collapsed and died. I repl'd it with the solid intake from ATI. No probs. "

If you need additional reference to this phenomena, just google "procharger collapsed hose tube"

Last edited by mightyquickz28; 08-09-2013 at 10:18 PM.
Old 08-09-2013, 10:53 PM
Teching In

Default intake hose...

I will have to google that. It is true the other parts in the kit and the fit are pretty pathetic. I will check them out in the morning.

Hope you enjoyed your movie too!

Thank you Dave!
Old 08-10-2013, 06:34 AM
TECH Addict

More info...http://www.camaroz28.com/forums/forc...roblem-776006/
Old 08-10-2013, 06:37 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

http://shop.brutespeed.com/ATI-3GAAI...-3GAAI-003.htm

Here is the newer ProCharger LT1 air inlet assembly. Bob

PM's disabled, please e-mail me
E-mail: brutespeed@gmail.comob@brutespeed.com

https://brutespeed.com/ Link to website

Old 08-10-2013, 07:02 AM
TECH Addict

There you go! Thanks Bob

Originally Posted by Bob@BruteSpeed
http://shop.brutespeed.com/ATI-3GAAI...-3GAAI-003.htm

Here is the newer ProCharger LT1 air inlet assembly. Bob
Old 08-10-2013, 08:03 AM
Teching In

I am very confident that is the issue after going through a few websites and blogs. I did order the "New" intake kit from Brutespeed last night. You can not imagine how much time and money I have wasted trying to track this down. I must say, I am a little disappointed with the ATI kit overall. There are so many blogs out there with the same disappointment regarding the components the ATI kits use. I have the single cooler version and the plumbing for this thing looks like a Nightmare! And ground clearance? Who really needs ground clearance to drive? I really hope this is worth it....

I've owned my 94 since 97. I think I bought the Procharger in 2001 or so. I just installed the kit using the FMU I had about 87,000 miles on the car. I could never really get it to run right, so I took it to two different Dyno's here in Nebraska. No luck, ended up blowing the motor up. No big deal, I wanted to build a stroker anyway. Dropped a 383 all forged steel stroker in it, custom cam "Billy Shehan", the works...Mistake, using a 2 Bolt block. Broke the front main cap. Really never had it running quite right either... Had it to the Dyno guys with that motor as well. Got orders, had to move to Germany and I wanted to get the car running before I left, so I bought a stock short block out of a 94 vette threw on all my bolt-on's and it was mobile... Finally got back to Nebraska 12/2012, I have 94,000 miles on the car and I've been messing with it since. So my Procharger experience thus far has not been a joyous one.

I know that's a lot of useless babbling, just wanted to share a little frustration.

Maybe Procharger could have offered an upgrade option for the sub standard parts included in their kits. I could return the piece of garbage orange hose for a small credit toward something suitable. Just a thought...

And Thank you very much Dave! Like I said I am very confident that is the issue now and I would still be troubleshooting other things if it wasn't for you.

Last edited by mmdehaven; 08-10-2013 at 08:09 AM.
Old 08-10-2013, 08:11 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

I am very confident that is the issue after going through a few websites and blogs. I did order the "New" intake kit from Brutespeed last night. You can not imagine how much time and money I have wasted trying to track this down. I must say, I am a little disappointed with the ATI kit overall. There are so many blogs out there with the same disappointment regarding the components the ATI kits use. I have the single cooler version and the plumbing for this thing looks like a Nightmare! And ground clearance? Who really needs ground clearance to drive? I really hope this is worth it....

I've owned my 94 since 97. I think I bought the Procharger in 2001 or so. I just installed the kit using the FMU I had about 87,000 miles on the car. I could never really get it to run right, so I took it to two different Dyno's here in Nebraska. No luck, ended up blowing the motor up. No big deal, I wanted to build a stroker anyway. Dropped a 383 all forged steel stroker in it, custom cam "Billy Shehan", the works...Mistake, using a 2 Bolt block. Broke the front main cap. Really never had it running quite right either... Had it to the Dyno guys with that motor as well. Got orders, had to move to Germany and I wanted to get the car running before I left, so I bought a stock short block out of a 94 vette threw on all my bolt-on's and it was mobile... Finally got back to Nebraska 12/2012, I have 94,000 miles on the car and I've been messing with it since. So my Procharger experience thus far has not been a joyous one.

I know that's a lot of useless babbling, just wanted to share a little frustration.
http://shop.brutespeed.com/ATI-2AIGA...AIGA1A-003.htm
It's a shame you don't have the twin intercooler kit. I've been selling ProChargers since 2002 and I don't think I've ever sold one of the LT1 single intercooler kits. We have had the twin intercooler kit on our '95 Formula since 2002-2003, and we haven't had any problems with it. Here is a link to it. http://shop.brutespeed.com/Brute-Spe...ed-Formula.htm

Thanks for the order for the inlet! Bob

Old 08-10-2013, 08:30 AM
Teching In

Default procharger...

If I recall correctly I don't think they even offered the twin when I bought mine. Otherwise I surely would have. The problem now is, it's another $1200.00 I can't commit with the track record I have with this thing. I think ATI offered a $400 upgrade to the kit at some point in time I wish I would have done that. That would have been a little more palatable.

Who knows, maybe I will be amazed once I get the thing running right and I might bite. At this point though, I am toying with the idea of another stroker only NA, or possibly selling it.
Old 08-10-2013, 08:57 AM
TECH Addict

I know getting custom kits can be a veeery frustrating experience. Certainly, if a person is just after cost-benefit, they would have punted my car back in the first year. If you search for posts started by me on this and the other Fbody site, you'll see I've hit wall after wall, but always perservered and had a good outcome. But I won't lie and say it's been easy nor cheap.

I hope this addresses your issue. Since you have Datamaster, I assume have Excel also? I can tell you how to 'export' the data to .csv, load it into excel and then apply the other little spreadsheet things that make it easier for you to analyze what's going on with the tune. I'll tell you what I look for, pay attention to and the steps I take to resolve issues.

On your 383 stroker, I had such a motor just before going turbo. Slightly different issue for the failure (solid lifter came apart) but like yours, mine was never 'right' and only lasted about 7,000 miles. Built by a so called Master engine builder but it was a nightmare from day one till it died. The Turbo setup, long in getting 'there', has been the most fun I've ever had from any car ever.
Old 08-10-2013, 09:18 AM
Teching In

I would greatly appreciate the help Dave. I do have Excel also not sure how to export it yet. I used FreeScan in the past and it was already in .cvs format so it was a little easier. I was told that DataMaster was the real deal, so I am still on the free trial checking it out.
The problems I have with TunerCat, are there are sooo many tables, and I haven't found a good baseline to start out with. I am waiting for my new PLX wideband to show up also. I welded in a bung for a wideband in my "Cat Delete pipe" so I should see that next week also. I had another Innovate, but I sent it back after a little more research and recommendations from this site. Once I have both the intake hose and the wideband I should be in business.
Old 08-11-2013, 09:51 AM
Teching In

Default 95 Formula...

Just finished reading the article on your 95. That is pretty awesome! I just hope I can make it into the deep 12's at this point...

Hopefully this intake issue will be resolved and give me a little more optimistic outlook and a twin cooler will be in my future.

Thanks to everybody that has offered advise throughout this posting.
Old 08-14-2013, 10:51 PM
Teching In

I just finished installing the new air intake tube for my procharger. I have good news and bad news to report. The good news is the RPM issue is fixed. The car pulled through 6000 RPM till I blew the Blow off valve off the hose.... After reinstalling the BOV, the car runs so rich now I'm not sure what the issue is. It was rich prior to blowing the BOV too, I just wanted to give the RPM issue a whirl. Tomorrow I will double check the MAF to make sure it looks ok. It's a JET unit and it doesn't have the direction for air flow stamped on it like the stock unit so that might be the issue. If not I will also try to drop the scalar setting of MAP Threshold to enable WOT from 80 kpa back down to 15 kpa. Not sure if this would have any affect on it, but Dave was kind enough to point that out.
Old 08-15-2013, 06:12 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

I just finished installing the new air intake tube for my procharger. I have good news and bad news to report. The good news is the RPM issue is fixed. The car pulled through 6000 RPM till I blew the Blow off valve off the hose.... After reinstalling the BOV, the car runs so rich now I'm not sure what the issue is. It was rich prior to blowing the BOV too, I just wanted to give the RPM issue a whirl. Tomorrow I will double check the MAF to make sure it looks ok. It's a JET unit and it doesn't have the direction for air flow stamped on it like the stock unit so that might be the issue. If not I will also try to drop the scalar setting of MAP Threshold to enable WOT from 80 kpa back down to 15 kpa. Not sure if this would have any affect on it, but Dave was kind enough to point that out.
That is great news, you're headed in the right direction! Bob

Old 08-15-2013, 07:30 AM
TECH Addict

Woot! Great news on the RPM issue. How long had you been suffering from the RPM limitation? Geez... Anyway, Can you get a datamaster log and send it to me? I'll have a quick look.
Congrats on the RPM fix though. That's awesome.

Old 08-15-2013, 08:23 PM
Teching In

Default data log files...

Hello Dave.
Here are a couple of log files. One of them "Mighty" is what you were kind enough to setup for me, the other is one I paid for. I just completed the runs about a half hour ago, so I haven't even got to look at them yet. I do know this thing is running extremely rich now though. I guess I will need to look into a set of 30lb. injectors possibly. I purchased the 42lb when I was running the 388 stroker with a cam too.

Please let me know what you think, and as always, thank you so much for your help.
Attached Files
File Type: zip
20130815_run1_mighty.zip (61.0 KB, 20 views)
File Type: zip
20130815_run1_PCM_TUNE.zip (82.1 KB, 11 views)

Last edited by mmdehaven; 08-15-2013 at 08:30 PM.
Old 08-16-2013, 02:31 PM
TECH Addict

Hi,
Looked at both logs.
You're right O2 looks like it's shorted out on something. At warm idle, your left O2 is in the normal 930 to 980 millivolts. Meanwhile your right O2 is 58, 1xx so, based on my own shorts on that O2 (against the headers) you have a short or a bad O2 sensor on the passenger side.

Your pulsewidths look much higher than mine but that may be just because I have 60# while you have 42#.

Another oddity is the MAF GmSec..
On each file, filtering for zero throttle and zero miles per hour,
Your MAF readings at idle are always in the 30's.
Mine is only 10's and 11's

Don't switch your injectors! You need the larger sizes for you power adder. If you want to trim fuel across the board, just change your injector constant. The larger you make it (going from 42 to 43 or 44) will make it lean out. Lowering the constant, will make it richer. But I'm very curious about that MAF. Perhaps it's like you said, on their backwards. What is the current injector constant on the tunes you've used?
Old 08-16-2013, 02:41 PM
Teching In

You are awesome Sir! Your knowledge is very appreciated. I am overwhelmed with all the tables and cannot identify these issues yet.
I will check the Right O2 sensor for a foul...
I did drop the Jet MAF and swapped it out with my original stock as a test against the JET. It is ported too though....

I wasn't sure if I could bumped my constant up to try that theory but you just confirmed that for me. I will bump it to 46lb first or do you think that's too much at first?. Also, what do you think on the fuel pressure. Can I drop it down to 43.5 for the same effect? I am currently at 46lbs.

Last edited by mmdehaven; 08-16-2013 at 02:47 PM.

Quick Reply: LT1 will not Rev past 4500 RPM