Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Dual meth nozzle placement

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2013, 11:47 AM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by CALL911
You could spray more than your motor could take in for your given setup. My point is you need to get the appropriate amount of meth injection per your specific setup. Too much or too little could not only be not ideal, but it could damage your motor.
I disagree. I'm gonna spray straight methanol, and if it sprays too much, guess what, that just lowers the injector duty cycle. It would be pretty hard to spray TOO much methanol.
Old 07-15-2013, 11:47 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Atomic
Thats a little silly considering you can have you engine run on just methanol (alcohol engine anyone?). The more methanol you can burn instead of gasoline the better in terms of power and engine health. If you mean your fueling can be too rich then certainly, but that is easily adjusted for with proper tuning. If I had the money, every engine I use would be 100% methanol only.
treed by you. lol
Old 07-15-2013, 06:03 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If I'm not mistaken, methanol will lean out your mixture and we don't want that! Demineralized water is an anti detinant and the two combined are what makes the difference. Latent heat of vapourization reduces intake temps (combination of meth and water being atomized and absorbing heat by change of state) and the added benefit of octane?
Old 07-15-2013, 06:19 PM
TECH Regular

Hence why I'm going to target 10.0 AFs
Old 07-15-2013, 06:34 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by CameronVic
I disagree. I'm gonna spray straight methanol, and if it sprays too much, guess what, that just lowers the injector duty cycle. It would be pretty hard to spray TOO much methanol.
Hence why I'm going to target 10.0 AFs
No. There is a specific amount you want for a specific given setup. If this was not true, then why would every single meth injection company have different combos of different sizes nozzles? Anything over the formulated amount you should run is not going to do anything positive for you.

You may also want to do some more research if you are targeting 10.0 for your wideband setup.

Originally Posted by 2002 T/A
If I'm not mistaken, methanol will lean out your mixture and we don't want that! Demineralized water is an anti detinant and the two combined are what makes the difference. Latent heat of vapourization reduces intake temps (combination of meth and water being atomized and absorbing heat by change of state) and the added benefit of octane?
Adding meth will not lean out your mixture. As soon as the meth injection hits you'll notice your AFR's going rich. In fact, even fully tuned it will still go rich until the computer compensates and leans it back out. If you want, I could post my dyno graph with the wideband reading at the bottom and you can see exactly what I am talking about.
Old 07-15-2013, 09:37 PM
Launching!

No. There is a specific amount you want for a specific given setup. If this was not true, then why would every single meth injection company have different combos of different sizes nozzles? Anything over the formulated amount you should run is not going to do anything positive for you.

You may also want to do some more research if you are targeting 10.0 for your wideband setup.

Adding meth will not lean out your mixture. As soon as the meth injection hits you'll notice your AFR's going rich. In fact, even fully tuned it will still go rich until the computer compensates and leans it back out. If you want, I could post my dyno graph with the wideband reading at the bottom and you can see exactly what I am talking about.
Really, well I stand corrected! I know that methanol has a higher octane rating but also thought it had a tendancy to lean out which is why going 100% is not recommended? Please enlighten me!
Old 07-15-2013, 10:02 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 2002 T/A
Really, well I stand corrected! I know that methanol has a higher octane rating but also thought it had a tendancy to lean out which is why going 100% is not recommended? Please enlighten me!
First off, there's nothing wrong with going 100% meth. There's also nothing wrong with going with a 50:50 water meth mix. Weather to go straight meth, or mix it with water has been debated heavily in the FI section. The thing to walk away with from it all is that both can be benefitial, and neither can be harm full if done correctly.

Having it done correctly means that #1, your car is tuned on it and you have the right amount of spray going in for what your setup calls for. #2, you need to have everything that the meth touches be able to handle the meth, because it is corrosive. This is not as important with the water meth mix as it diludes the meth, but you want to have everything able to take the meth to be safe.

When it comes to your specific question, IMO it is debate able which is better. Adding either 100% meth or the meth water mix will both fatten things up. I believe that a meth water mix helps cool IAT's better. It also makes things less corrosive, and it does make the meth last twice as long when you are mixing it with water, so that's why I choose to run the 50:50 mix. Running 100% meth should give you more octane increase. I would probably run 100% meth if I was running a much higher boost level (20+#'s).

Either one will work. It really depends on which side of the water meth mix vs straight meth argument you are on. As long as you keep using whatever one you decide on after its tuned on it, you'll be fine.
Old 07-15-2013, 10:37 PM
Launching!

Thanks guys I just wanted to see what you guys with multiple nozzles where doing!
Old 07-16-2013, 12:39 AM
TECH Regular

All LS1tech myths. Those are myth #145, #192, and #111. I'll let you know what happens on friday when I debunk them all.

I have MS3X. I have target AFs set, SOOOOOOOOO When I spray methanol at it, the injector duty cycle WILL drop, and methanol will be making up the difference.

So it is in fact you that may be needing to do some research.
Old 07-16-2013, 06:26 AM
Man-Crush Warning

Received 120 Likes on 89 Posts

This.

I plan on running M1 through two 14gph nozzles. Since I built the "kit" I wrote the instructions too. Companies make "kits" for people that just bolt stuff together and hope it all works without tuning everything for it.

More methanol means more knock protection, water will help lower EGTs.
Old 07-16-2013, 06:31 AM
TECH Addict

All LS1tech myths. Those are myth #145, #192, and #111. I'll let you know what happens on friday when I debunk them all.

I have MS3X. I have target AFs set, SOOOOOOOOO When I spray methanol at it, the injector duty cycle WILL drop, and methanol will be making up the difference.

So it is in fact you that may be needing to do some research.
Well, I am sure in your vast 211 posts that you probably know it all. Nevermind countless tuners that tune for targets in countless FI cars at 11.0-11.5 as their target.

10.0 is not gonna hurt you, but it is far from ideal. Good luck in proving the vast experience of the forum wrong.
Old 07-16-2013, 08:46 AM
TECH Regular

Alkycontrol themselevs told me to run straight M1 with dual nozzles. So that is what I am going to do.
Old 07-16-2013, 09:08 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by josepy121380
Alkycontrol themselevs told me to run straight M1 with dual nozzles. So that is what I am going to do.
This is more or less my argument for all of this. If they told you that your setup needs dual nozzles, then that's what you should go with.

Julio at Alky control is very opinionated about running meth vs a water meth mix. This is what ultimately led me to going with Snow Performance, as I don't agree that running 100% meth is the most ideal setup for every car every time. My car proved that on the dyno when I gained more power from running the water meth mix over running straight meth. I won't argue that running pure meth may have its advantages, but there are advantages of running a 50:50 water meth mix as well.
Old 07-16-2013, 09:10 AM
TECH Regular

This is more or less my argument for all of this. If they told you that your setup needs dual nozzles, then that's what you should go with.

Julio at Alky control is very opinionated about running meth vs a water meth mix. This is what ultimately led me to going with Snow Performance, as I don't agree that running 100% meth is the most ideal setup for every car every time. My car proved that on the dyno when I gained more power from running the water meth mix over running straight meth. I won't argue that running pure meth may have its advantages, but there are advantages of running a 50:50 water meth mix as well.
So what is the arguement to why not? How much power difference was there? I am curious myself. Really want my car to stay together and not looking for any land speed records.
Old 07-16-2013, 09:21 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by josepy121380
So what is the arguement to why not? How much power difference was there? I am curious myself. Really want my car to stay together and not looking for any land speed records.
I would have gone with whatever would gain me the most power safely between straight meth or water meth mix. We started with straight meth and he added timing until he felt he could safely. After the meth was drained, I poured in the water meth mix and my IAT's were cooler allowing him to add more timing safely. The difference was about 25 to the wheels after the timing increase.

The fact that I use half as much meth and the mixture is much less corrosive making connections and the pump last longer are all added bonuses to running the 50:50 water meth mix.

Now, keep in mind this was my car, my boost level, my setup. I'm not saying 50:50 mix is the best for every car. If it were me though, I would run the 50:50 mix for anything under 20#'s of boost, and I would go with 100% meth for something running higher boost than that for the added octane benefit.
Old 07-16-2013, 09:41 AM
TECH Regular

Well, I am sure in your vast 211 posts that you probably know it all. Nevermind countless tuners that tune for targets in countless FI cars at 11.0-11.5 as their target.

10.0 is not gonna hurt you, but it is far from ideal. Good luck in proving the vast experience of the forum wrong.
Nowhere did I say that I was going to KEEP it at 10.0. I'm gonna make some passes, play with the tune, pull some fuel out of it, check the plugs, etc. All things you've probably never done because you're too busy correction people on the tech with false regurgtated knowledge.

I don't have that many posts because I'm too busy on other forums, or actually turning a wrench on my own car, or tuning, etc.
Originally Posted by Shownomercy
This.

I plan on running M1 through two 14gph nozzles. Since I built the "kit" I wrote the instructions too. Companies make "kits" for people that just bolt stuff together and hope it all works without tuning everything for it.

More methanol means more knock protection, water will help lower EGTs.
Careful, you've only got 394 posts. That's well above anything you could possibly know about.
Old 07-16-2013, 09:46 AM
TECH Regular

I would have gone with whatever would gain me the most power safely between straight meth or water meth mix. We started with straight meth and he added timing until he felt he could safely. After the meth was drained, I poured in the water meth mix and my IAT's were cooler allowing him to add more timing safely. The difference was about 25 to the wheels after the timing increase.
Cooler IATs doesn't always mean you can add more timing safely. Ever seen a twin turbo promod on meth with an intercooler? Their IATs are over 400* at the traps, and they're not hurting anything because of IATs.

You can get those IATs down all you want, but at a certain point (boost, type of fuel used in the injectors) it doesn't matter. Hence the reason I'm choosing to use the most detonation resistant fuel, pure, in my meth injection system. Go ask your tuner about that since you don't have any actual experience.
Old 07-16-2013, 09:55 AM
TECH Addict

As I said before, you seem to know it all and have it all figured out.
Old 07-16-2013, 09:59 AM
TECH Regular

Your combined 1055 WHP trumps anything I could ever hope to become.
Old 07-16-2013, 10:22 AM
TECH Regular

Is there anyone that is an expert on here about this? I do not like being confused on what to do.

Quick Reply: Dual meth nozzle placement