Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Dual meth nozzle placement

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2013, 10:25 AM
Man-Crush Warning

Received 120 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by josepy121380
Is there anyone that is an expert on here about this? I do not like being confused on what to do.
In the end its your car, so do the research and make your own choice.

Ask your tuner what they like to see as well.
Old 07-16-2013, 10:27 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Shownomercy
In the end its your car, so do the research and make your own choice.

Ask your tuner what they like to see as well.
LOL I have and it is split anyway you look at it on what people do.
Old 07-16-2013, 10:38 AM
Man-Crush Warning

Received 120 Likes on 89 Posts

Another thing to think of, M1 may be tough to get if you don't have a speed shop of VP store local to you, you can get the 50/50 blend via summit. Also, M1 is flammable and another thing to think about if you daily the car.
Old 07-16-2013, 10:40 AM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My suggestion is do your own testing, don't listen to me. Spray some blue washer fluid during a pass. Spray a 50/50 mix during a pass. Spray straight methanol during a pass. The reason I'm using straight methanol is because I'm non-intercooled and I'm trying something I haven't done before. I've already tried a mix, now I'm trying straight methanol.
Old 07-16-2013, 10:43 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Shownomercy
Another thing to think of, M1 may be tough to get if you don't have a speed shop of VP store local to you, you can get the 50/50 blend via summit. Also, M1 is flammable and another thing to think about if you daily the car.
M1 is easy to get by me. 7 Minutes from my house. LOL

The car is just a toy. I dont drag race it. Just a fun car to go beat on when I feel like it. I take the car on trips etc...
Old 07-16-2013, 11:11 AM
TECH Resident

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Is there anyone that is an expert on here about this? I do not like being confused on what to do.
Didn't you know? We're ALL experts on LS1Tech! Hehehehe

(Couldn't resist)
Old 07-16-2013, 11:23 AM
TECH Addict

Lol, my arguments with CameronVic aside, both he and shownomercy are right. Look around and do more research to do what you want.

Honestly dude, going with 100% meth or going with 50:50 water meth mix, both will be benefitial, both will do their job at keeping you away from detonation. Neither one will lead to bad things if setup properly.
Old 07-16-2013, 11:59 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by CALL911
Lol, my arguments with CameronVic aside, both he and shownomercy are right. Look around and do more research to do what you want.

Honestly dude, going with 100% meth or going with 50:50 water meth mix, both will be benefitial, both will do their job at keeping you away from detonation. Neither one will lead to bad things if setup properly.
How dangerous is running straight M1. The car is a cruise car. So a tank might last me most of summer. Is it ok to sit in there. It is vented. Tank is in the spare tire area of my car. Or would I just be safer to do a 50:50 mix? If so any specific type of water to mix it with?
Old 07-16-2013, 12:12 PM
TECH Addict

How dangerous is running straight M1. The car is a cruise car. So a tank might last me most of summer. Is it ok to sit in there. It is vented. Tank is in the spare tire area of my car. Or would I just be safer to do a 50:50 mix? If so any specific type of water to mix it with?
Meth is not like gas. It won't go bad (I am still using meth I bought years ago). How long a tank will last will depend on the nozzle size and how much you use it. A tank for me usually lasts a month, and I beat the snot out of mine a lot. My buddy who drives his car less will go through a tank in a weekend as he has bigger nozzles.

It will be less corrosive and safer to handle if it is a 50:50 water meth mix.

You need to use purified or distilled water (I just buy mine from the grocery store). Do not use tap water.

Some people say its okay, but I would not recommend using washer fluid as your source of methanol.
Old 07-16-2013, 12:18 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by CALL911
Meth is not like gas. It won't go bad (I am still using meth I bought years ago). How long a tank will last will depend on the nozzle size and how much you use it. A tank for me usually lasts a month, and I beat the snot out of mine a lot. My buddy who drives his car less will go through a tank in a weekend as he has bigger nozzles.

It will be less corrosive and safer to handle if it is a 50:50 water meth mix.

You need to use purified or distilled water (I just buy mine from the grocery store). Do not use tap water.

Some people say its okay, but I would not recommend using washer fluid as your source of methanol.
Not worried bout it going bad. I will buy it and mix it then. I was more worried of an explosion or something happening with the tank in the heat we are having. I am in wisconsin. Will it freeze in winter with the mix or should I just empty the tank?
Old 07-16-2013, 12:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Not worried bout it going bad. I will buy it and mix it then. I was more worried of an explosion or something happening with the tank in the heat we are having. I am in wisconsin. Will it freeze in winter with the mix or should I just empty the tank?
I have the alcohol injection systems trunk mount kit. I left it sitting in the Sun one hot day and it made the feed line to the pump start dripping I guess the pressure got too high inside the tank from the heat.. the tank has a one-way vent on it and I made it a little bigger. I also now put a light colored towel over tank when parked in sun to help heat absorbing cause tank is black. No problems anymore. I run m1 also. I have tank mounted in back glass trunk area of my ta.
Old 07-16-2013, 12:33 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by mrstepheneades
I have the alcohol injection systems trunk mount kit. I left it sitting in the Sun one hot day and it made the feed line to the pump start dripping I guess the pressure got too high inside the tank from the heat.. the tank has a one-way vent on it and I made it a little bigger. I also now put a light colored towel over tank when parked in sun to help heat absorbing cause tank is black. No problems anymore. I run m1 also. I have tank mounted in back glass trunk area of my ta.
That sounds good. Mine does not see any sunlight. Covered by the body panel.
Old 07-16-2013, 12:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I SPRAY 100% METH THREE NOZZLES,
ONE RIGHT AT THE INLET OF THE INTERCOOLER, SECOND 6" FROM THE OUTLET OF THE INTERCOOLER AND THE THIRD IS 18" FROM THE TB.
15GPH,14GPH,9GPH AS I POSTED THEM.
STOCK 5.3 TRAPPING 143MPH AT 20PSI ON A 92DEG DAY IAT WAS 79DEG AT THE END OF THE RUN.

IM RUNNING ON 2YR OLD METH, IT DOSE NOT GO BAD,
YES YOU CAN RUN A TON OF METH...... BUT IF THE PUMP FAILS AND ITS TUNED TO COMPENSATE THE METH IT WILL GO LEAN AND PO THE ENGINE...
MY TUNE WITH OUT METH WILL HIT 13AFRS VERY FAST, SO THERE IS A BALANCE.
i SHOOT FOR 11.0 DOWN LOW AND LEANS OUT TO 11.9 ON THE BIG END.. ON E85
Old 07-16-2013, 12:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Sorry for the caps lock
Old 07-16-2013, 01:15 PM
TECH Addict

Lol @ the caps lock. I was imagining you yelling as I read it.

The tanks not going to explode in the heat, but I agree its a good idea to have it vented. I don't know what the freezing level of meth is, but I would guess its pretty damn cold. I have left my water meth mix stay in an un-heated garage during temps well below freezing in northern Indiana and had no issues.

9sectruck brings up a good point. I keep bringing up "its safe if its setup properly" but I guess I should throw in a big key point for someone learning here that may not know.

When your car is tuned on meth, if you plan on using it to lower your IAT's and run more timing and boost safely (as most of us who use it do), then your tune will be depending on the meth to keep it safe. Run the car that's tuned on meth and the meth stops working for some reason, and your higher boost and timing without the meth can mean very bad things for your motor. Some people don't want to do meth injection for this danger alone.

There are ways to be protected. #1, and almost most important, you need to have a wideband O2 sensor and gauge in the car so you can monitor your AFR's and keep them safe. If things start to go lean while getting in the boost you can see this and if its in enough time, get out of it before you do any damage.

I have rigged up a sensor in the meth line that once it senses meth spraying it shows me a green light in my car. So as long as I see the green light out of the corner of my eye, I know I'm safe.

Snow Performance offers a "safe injection" system that also monitors the meth, and if something isn't working right, it automatically retards your timing and cuts boost to keep you safe. I believe Snow Performance is the only meth injection company that offers such a system.
Old 07-16-2013, 01:21 PM
TECH Addict

Here's a vid showing the green light I was talking about in my car.

http://www.streetfire.net/video/0-160-40_2417706.htm
Old 07-16-2013, 01:24 PM
11 Second Club

so what afr on a gas scale do you shoot for with injecting that much meth? I know that snow says .5-.75 afr change on a 50/50 mix is ideal, but where do you tune to or look for how much afr change when the system kick on?
Old 07-16-2013, 01:24 PM
TECH Resident

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you're in Wisconson, you should be able to get ahold of some really good sub-zero blue windshield washer fluid / de-icer (blue stuff, not anything with special additives). The -30F (or lower) has a higher concentration of methanol (up to about 40%) and it only costs about $3 a gallon (or less).

I run the blue stuff (-30F) and I run it right out of my windshield washer fluid reservoir. This has the following benefits:
1) Reservoir is already there and holds > 1 gallon
2) Maintain use of Windshield washers because fluid is dual purpose
3) Less aggressive fluid (Straight Methanol can be hard on soft seals vs 50/50 mix)
4) Washer fluid low light pops up on dash when fluid is low. This acts as an alert to driver and helps prevent driver from running out of fluid without know it
5) No need to buy separate fluids and mix, less hassle, more consistent mix if you buy the same kind/brand/rating.
6) Readily available at gas stations instead of special order.
7) Costs less per gallon, generally,
8) Some believe that the latent heat of water, coupled with methanol, has synergistic benefits. Methanol = lower IAT, Water = Antiknock. Together =
9) Using the 50/50 mix will hold up to winters without freezing and will not evaporate in the summer as fast, which will maintain a more consistent mix ratio.
10) 50/50 mix is much less of a fire hazard than 100% meth.

Some swear by 100%, some swear by 50%, some swear by blue stuff. As long as your IATs are down, AFR is correct, and there's no knock/det, you'll be ok and make good power with the addition of a Meth/water system.

Hope this helps.
Old 07-16-2013, 01:27 PM
TECH Regular

It's my understanding that methanol attracts a lot of water. I'm putting it into my washer fluid reservoir and I'm going to drain it and put it back into a sealed 1 gallon jug while I'm not running the car.
Old 07-16-2013, 01:38 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by cyipher
so what afr on a gas scale do you shoot for with injecting that much meth? I know that snow says .5-.75 afr change on a 50/50 mix is ideal, but where do you tune to or look for how much afr change when the system kick on?
My AFR's hit around 10.5 when the meth initially kicks in. Then the computer leans it out to 11.5. With any concentration of meth whether its 100% or 50%, its going to be fat as soon as the meth kicks in. Your tuner should be able to have it setup to lean out appropriately for you.

HRHohio, I know people have used the WW fluid before, and I don't have physical proof that it does anythingng harmfull, but I can't get over the fact its f-ing blue WW fluid and was not formulated with the purpose of being injected into your motor.

As for the price, I bought 5 gallons of meth a couple years ago. It cost me $20. I mixed it with distilled water that was less than .50¢ a gallon. So essentially I have 10 gallons of the mix for about $22.50. That 10 gallons at the rate I use it (and I beat on my car a LOT) will last me about 4 years. So yearly I spend a little over $5. To me, that is well worth knowing I am running something I know to be 100% safe and meant to be injected into my motor.

Quick Reply: Dual meth nozzle placement