Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Dual meth nozzle placement

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2013, 11:57 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Dual meth nozzle placement

Hey guys I'm currently running one meth nozzle and want to run a second nozzle one nozzle is place about 8 inches away from my throttle body. If I where to put the second nozzle 8-6 inches away from the first nozzle it be mounted before the BOV. I'm running 100% meth and when I lift I'm worried the mist will be blown into the engine bay next to really hot parts lol. So is it ok to place them next to each other?
Old 07-14-2013, 12:22 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

First off, why are you wanting to change to 2 meth nozzles? What kit do you have? How is your kit referenced to inject the meth?

Most kits out there are boost referenced, so once you are out of boost, it will stop spraying.
Old 07-14-2013, 12:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I have mine at same place straight across from each other on opposite sides of cold pipe. Yeah I made mistake of bov after nozzles already. Watched it spray out everywhere on Dyno and unhooked meth till I relocated bov. I would put other nozzle at same place just opposite side of pipe that way when they spray they spray toward each other totally saturating the air passing through. I have mine a about 18 inches from tb and my iat sensor right at tb. I have the ais kit with twin 10 lb nozzles and is boost activated. Regardless if it stops spraying when you let off throttle that much meth will get trapped between tb and bov and come out bov.
Old 07-14-2013, 01:07 PM
Launching!

I am just looking in to this now! Was wondering about nozzles and placement too? I have the plastic Procharger intake and was thinking dead center facing throttle body? I know some recommend counter flow so the only other option would be passenger side opposite the IAT sensor? As for 2, not sure?
Old 07-14-2013, 01:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Needs to be before iat sensor. I'd say a good 6 inches before at least but I'm no pro. Martin at Tick advised me on my nozzle placement. Wish I had a pic to post.
Got one one my phone lol. Link not in SIG for build thread cause I'm posting from mobile but check out second to last page of WS6 S475 official build thread. It should be at bottom of this section cause I replied to it yesterday. Got a picture on there shows placement.
Old 07-14-2013, 01:44 PM
Launching!

My kit has a progressive controller and the reason why I'm adding another nozzle is to keep my intake temps on check my cold side is running close to my down pipe so I want to add another nozzle. I have my nozzle mounted about 7" away from my IAT sensor.
Old 07-14-2013, 02:45 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by LosLs1's
My kit has a progressive controller and the reason why I'm adding another nozzle is to keep my intake temps on check my cold side is running close to my down pipe so I want to add another nozzle. I have my nozzle mounted about 7" away from my IAT sensor.
The placement of your nozzle seems fine (assuming this is downwind of your IAT sensor). As far as adding the second nozzle, there is a little more science involved than just adding a second nozzle just to cool your temps further.

You never answered on what specific kit you had. Whatever it is, Snow Performance, Alky-Control, ect., you need to contact them and give them info on your setup (as in how much boost, what kind of supercharger or turbo you are tunning ect.), and they will tell you what nozzle system you should be running.

Running with too much meth can almost be just as bad as not running enough. Running not enough can lead to detonation from too high IAT's, but running too much can overload your engine with more than it can handle.

With the info from the company your kit is from, and running the appropriate nozzle size, and or number of nozzles needed, you will be at your optimum for meth injection. You may be at that level now, and adding more meth to it at that point will cause much more possible damage than it could help.
Old 07-14-2013, 04:11 PM
Launching!

I forgot to mention my setup it's a Tnetics 88mm stock lq4 with a cam from Martin@Tick stock 317s I'm running a devils own methanol kit with the progressive controller. I was running 12lbs and now going to push it to 16lbs with cheap CA 91 pump... E85 is not an option unless I take a 2hr drive so meth is the only option for now.
Old 07-14-2013, 04:23 PM
I need a gauge for that

I have 2 14s, roughly 30 degrees apart on the same plane on the intake tube about 2' before the tb and before the bov. Never had an issue with the vapor getting in the engine bay. Highly, highly unlikely for it to ever ignite because its such a disperse mixture and therefor too lean to ignite.
Old 07-14-2013, 04:42 PM
TECH Addict

I forgot to mention my setup it's a Tnetics 88mm stock lq4 with a cam from Martin@Tick stock 317s I'm running a devils own methanol kit with the progressive controller. I was running 12lbs and now going to push it to 16lbs with cheap CA 91 pump... E85 is not an option unless I take a 2hr drive so meth is the only option for now.
Like I said, contact Devils Own and see what they say you need. They will be able to point you in the right direction for what nozzle size and combo you need.

Originally Posted by Atomic
I have 2 14s, roughly 30 degrees apart on the same plane on the intake tube about 2' before the tb and before the bov. Never had an issue with the vapor getting in the engine bay. Highly, highly unlikely for it to ever ignite because its such a disperse mixture and therefor too lean to ignite.
Having the vapor ignite is not the biggest concern. You could spray more than your motor could take in for your given setup. My point is you need to get the appropriate amount of meth injection per your specific setup. Too much or too little could not only be not ideal, but it could damage your motor.
Old 07-14-2013, 04:48 PM
Launching!

Well they have a nozzle size calculator on the their website. I'm currently running a 14gph nozzle and its calling to run 20gph.....
Old 07-14-2013, 05:01 PM
TECH Addict

There you go. So, do they have a 20 GPH nozzle? Sounds like that's what you need. It's gonna be easier running that larger nozzle than plumbing a second line and second nozzle anyways on top of the more important fact you now know the appropriate setup for your car.

I now for my car I am running the largest single nozzle Snow Performance offers, so for me if I went bigger I would have to run a dual nozzle setup.
Old 07-14-2013, 05:34 PM
Launching!

The biggest one they offer is a 14 which I already have I looked at other makers but didn't find any so ill just stick to devils stuff... But I was concerned of placing one before the BOV I don't want a huge fire ball lol
Old 07-14-2013, 05:35 PM
I need a gauge for that

Originally Posted by CALL911
You could spray more than your motor could take in for your given setup. My point is you need to get the appropriate amount of meth injection per your specific setup. Too much or too little could not only be not ideal, but it could damage your motor.
Thats a little silly considering you can have you engine run on just methanol (alcohol engine anyone?). The more methanol you can burn instead of gasoline the better in terms of power and engine health. If you mean your fueling can be too rich then certainly, but that is easily adjusted for with proper tuning. If I had the money, every engine I use would be 100% methanol only.
Old 07-14-2013, 05:58 PM
TECH Addict

The biggest one they offer is a 14 which I already have I looked at other makers but didn't find any so ill just stick to devils stuff... But I was concerned of placing one before the BOV I don't want a huge fire ball lol
Well, you can run dual smaller nozzles then and if that's more than the 20 GPH you may be able to turn down how much spray through the progressive controller. I would call Devils own and see what they recommend.

As far as placement, before the IAT sensor about 6" would be ideal. But definitely after the BOV.

Originally Posted by Atomic
Thats a little silly considering you can have you engine run on just methanol (alcohol engine anyone?). The more methanol you can burn instead of gasoline the better in terms of power and engine health. If you mean your fueling can be too rich then certainly, but that is easily adjusted for with proper tuning. If I had the money, every engine I use would be 100% methanol only.
Just like you can spray too much fuel you can spray too much meth. Now consider the car runs on its own fuel and the meth is added as an octane booster, IAT cooler on top of it. In the correct amount this is great. But there gets a point where you simply just can't add more and more and more and it will still continue to work. As I said before and have been advocating this whole time, you need the appropriate amount.
Old 07-14-2013, 08:16 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Snow recommended 3" apart and 3" before the TB. No issues here.
Old 07-14-2013, 09:21 PM
Launching!

And which pump are you guys running with your multiple nozzles? I have there standard pump... They offer a better pump now. I'm just wondering if I run two nozzles will pressure drop to the point that they won't spray as design.
Old 07-14-2013, 10:09 PM
TECH Addict

I'm not sure with the Devils Own setup. On my Snow Performance setup one pump will handle the largest meth nozzle combination you can have (multiple large nozzles). Again, you should give them a call to see what they recommend.
Old 07-15-2013, 08:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

My nozzle placement. Twin 10 pound nozzles. Alcohol Injection Systems trunk mounted tank kit.

Old 07-15-2013, 11:44 AM
TECH Regular

Don't overthink it OP. Here's my setup. There was just two nozzles at first, no problems there, I just added a third.

Quick Reply: Dual meth nozzle placement