Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

FIC2000 and E85 issues.

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2013, 03:30 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nah, cause most of the guys I read about were all stock fuel lines. Some had issues in some areas and some did not. I think there is probably something else at work. Not sure why one Subaru or Evo would have issues and another not all with stock lines. My Subie ran E85 for 4 years with zero issues with stock lines and 2 different types of injectors, modified stock and ID1000s. I have seen folks report issues with both types of injectors also with stock lines. Just what I saw in the import world.
Old 10-21-2013, 04:06 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by skinnies
I have no issues with idle on the siemen 220's.
Do you have a link to where I can get a set for a good price? Was data easy to come by for them? I have some FIC2000's I was going to slap in, but now I'm getting all gun shy on em since I street drive my car 95% of the time
Old 10-21-2013, 04:10 PM
9 Second Club

FWIW I've been running 95lbers for about 2 years with a -8 feed and stock style filter. I've never had an issue but I only use one shell gas station by me for e85 and I diligently test for 85% ethanol. I'd imagine that some of these injector issues coud be due to picking up crud in the tank that bipasses the socks or picks up from the fuel line itself. Now all gas in the midwest has 10% ethanol so wonder if since the cars been exposed to that for it's whole life it that means that less crud would buildup.

Also one guy mentioned something about cleanliness of e85 out there. FWIW I tested one station and although it showed to be about 84% ethanol there was alot of weird cloudy **** floating around above the separation line on my quick fuel test tube. Shell by me had very little to non of that so it's hard for me to want to use the other station even though it's a little cheaper.
Old 10-21-2013, 04:31 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well im not too concerned with the ethanol content. Long as its tuned at a high amount like e85+. If it drops to e70, ur tune will just go a little rich. Im running a 40 micron filter connected to a 10 micron filter plus the socks on the fuel pumps.. im using aeroquip braided lines made eith synthetic rubber. Ive said it before but all the sprint car guys run these lines around here and they run straight methanol. Methanol is more corrosive than ethanol is. Hopefully I have good luck.
Old 10-21-2013, 04:53 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I too believe it has more to do with additives used by different gas stations as I have first hand experience with FIC2000's on an Evo. I will report back on the BSH1600's after I use them for a bit.
Old 10-21-2013, 04:56 PM
TECH Addict

Hmmm. There a way to find out what additives are used in E85 per station? Ie, ill be getting mine from meijer. I wonder if all meijers use the same refinery
Old 10-21-2013, 05:05 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by asubennett
I too believe it has more to do with additives used by different gas stations as I have first hand experience with FIC2000's on an Evo. I will report back on the BSH1600's after I use them for a bit.
Fuel Injection Clinic or Fuel Injection Conenction? Both make FIC2000's.
Old 10-21-2013, 07:15 PM
FormerVendor

Hey guys, I read the whole thread and I will try to sum it up on what's happening.
All these big hi impedance injectors as you know are cng injectors. They are unmodified out of the box Bosch units pn 0280158821. These are sold by many suppliers, but all are the same. We have had problems with them in certain areas. I will tell you that when they come in to be checked out I have found most to be clogged with the weirdest ****. Hard dried white power, carbon, and just gunk. We clean these and get the sets back to the customers hoping that they check the fuel they are using for additives that are gumming up the injectors. It is also imperative not to let the car sit for extended periods of time with e85 in them. We will clean our sets for free for the first year, we also will replace bad ones with working ones. We will also trade them back for other injectors if you want. Understand that these injectors are not for every application, they are very temperamental. We have been getting sets in for cleaning under warranty that were bought from fuel injector clinic, we are not affiliated with them so if you have a set make sure where they came from. We will stand behind ours as always.

We do sell the Siemens low impedance 212, which is also a cng injector but seems to hold up a little better, but the downside is they are not as easily dialed in. The 127 at 4 bar is a great answer if you don't need the support of the 2000. We have sold over 500 sets of the 127's for all kinds of vehicles with only a few minor issues. We also sell the full line of Moran injectors. So, in short if your set is not working correctly send them in with your proof of purchase and we will take care of them as best we can.

Last edited by FICINJECTORS; 10-21-2013 at 09:05 PM.
Old 10-21-2013, 08:08 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by FICINJECTORS
We will clean our sets for free, we also will replace bad ones with working ones. We will also trade them back for other injectors if you want.
then why did I just pay for a cleaning???

.... you got some splainin' to do!

Old 10-21-2013, 08:11 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by I8UR4RD
then why did I just pay for a cleaning???

.... you got some splainin' to do!

Not sure, who did you deal with. I'll get you a refund but need your original invoice.
Old 10-21-2013, 08:23 PM
TECH Addict

Do you know what additives are causing the issues and why?
Old 10-21-2013, 09:03 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by allout06
Do you know what additives are causing the issues and why?
Not really, we have seen a bunch of different crap in these injectors. Also these high hp engines with big turbos usually have insufficient PCV systems. Carbon packed in these injectors is seen as a bigger problem. on the other hand I see problems when the customer reports that the injectors were sitting for a few weeks.please don't think everyone that has these will have problems. Between all the dealers out there I would think there were 1000's of these sets sold. So in retrospect there are a very small percentage of problems. When our customers have a problem we will do whatever it takes as long as they did not abuse the injector or run fuels with mtbe.

Last edited by FICINJECTORS; 10-21-2013 at 09:51 PM.
Old 10-21-2013, 09:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by FICINJECTORS
Not really, we have seen a bunch of different crap in these injectors. Also these high hp engines with big turbos usually have insufficient PVC systems. Carbon packed in these injectors is seen as a bigger problem. on the other hand I see problems when the customer reports that the injectors were sitting for a few weeks.please don't think everyone that has these will have problems. Between all the dealers out there I would think there were 1000's of these sets sold. So in retrospect there are a very small percentage of problems. When our customers have a problem we will do whatever it takes as long as they did not abuse the injector or run fuels with mtbe.
Good to hear. I just received my Bosch 160's from you (Chicago) - Was debating asking about an exchange for the 220 Low Z Siemens but did not realize they were also CNG injectors. Thanks for clarifying that for us.

I wonder how we can test E85 for cleanliness?
Old 10-21-2013, 09:19 PM
Teching In

Jon @ FIC above has been nothing but great to me with this situation and I'm sure my setup is somewhat different than others so I'm not surprised to be in the minority with small issues.

I will be buying my set of 127s from him as he's been a stand up guy. Thanks Jon.
Old 10-22-2013, 09:44 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by allout06
Hmmm. There a way to find out what additives are used in E85 per station? Ie, ill be getting mine from meijer. I wonder if all meijers use the same refinery
Don't know if they all use the same refinery but I do know last year I used meijer gas 9 out of 10 times and family express e85 where I live now all other times. My car ran perfect all year.

This year I have used nothing but family express e85 and have had some odd issues develop as the summer went on.

Meijer driver said he mixes it him self and get's it from somewhere in Indiana, family express driver said it comes from Michigan and is pre mixed from their distributor. Family express E85 smells different coming out of pump and burning, very different and odd smelling actually. Wonder If that's the additives?

Thought at first I just had trashed plugs so I replaced them with new br7ef's only to have the same issue two weeks later. AFR's at 13#s would be in the 11.50 range one day and not 12 hrs later I was seeing mid 13's AFR.

Lowered boost and checked over tune again and got it dialed back in to the low 11's for an AFR but could only get a safe AFR at 10#s of boost or less.....

Finally it just down right started running like trash, missing and back firing through the intake etc. while rolling into boost.

Fuel setup and pressure is all steady no issues there I don't believe, I suspect now possibly it was the family express gas that has trashed my injectors. Going to pull it apart and verify soon.

Motor isn't making any funny noises or anything and no smoking but I have a bad feeling it is hurt now
Old 10-22-2013, 10:18 AM
Teching In

I don't think its a specific fuel station causing my issue. Around here for e85 we have Meijer, Family Express(x2) and one Speedway gas station. Recently a Phillips 66 came on board for e85. I know myself and 3 others that solely run e85. Me and another guy has ran it since 2006 without a single issue and we fill up at all of the stations. Another guy for the last 3 years and the last guy travels to a few cities south of here so he fills up both here and in his home town. Been running the last year. I'm the only one that has had issues and ONLY with my new setup. My old setup ran for 6 years on e85 without a single issue and one guy has a GTO with over 100k miles. I think he's been soley on e85 for at least 60k miles of that.
Old 11-01-2013, 06:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

Fuel Injector Clinic 2150's($1560) vs Fuel Injector Connection 2200's($1129)?
Old 11-01-2013, 06:17 PM
9 Second Club

Received 180 Likes on 155 Posts

Given that it seems relevant, although got no response over in the fuel section.

I should add that the problem I refer to is NOT relating to any product FIC sell.

I am posting this more as a query about these filters, so could well be of interest to E85 users ?

https://ls1tech.com/forums/fueling-i...iltration.html

They do just look like glorified oil filters....although if they do the job, maybe no bad thing ?

http://www.fstperformance.com/
Old 11-01-2013, 06:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by stevieturbo
Given that it seems relevant, although got no response over in the fuel section.

I should add that the problem I refer to is NOT relating to any product FIC sell.

I am posting this more as a query about these filters, so could well be of interest to E85 users ?

https://ls1tech.com/forums/fueling-i...iltration.html

They do just look like glorified oil filters....although if they do the job, maybe no bad thing ?

http://www.fstperformance.com/
I'm going to be using one of those. The RPM500. $185. 12AN ports.
Old 11-01-2013, 06:53 PM
9 Second Club

Received 180 Likes on 155 Posts

Other than the housing itself though....I assume it is just a regular oil filter ?

Quick Reply: FIC2000 and E85 issues.