Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

69 Nova. 5.3 L33 Turbo build. Billet S474, LOTS of pictures...

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2017, 11:00 AM
TECH Addict

Received 186 Likes on 136 Posts

Joe, were you ever able log fuel usage (lb/hr) during your dyno pulls? Sounds like it's making some really good steam.
Old 03-03-2017, 12:08 PM
Restricted User

Received 104 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by 3 window
Joe, were you ever able log fuel usage (lb/hr) during your dyno pulls? Sounds like it's making some really good steam.
No, but my deka 80s are at 100% duty cycle with a 48 PSI base pressure (boost referenced) on 18 lbs. I typically just crank the fuel pressure when I crank the boost. It runs a little rich in the transition but is fine at 20-24 PSI.

I've recently rescaled my injector flow/VE tables and am now running 58 PSI base pressure so I can probably push them a little further. If I can keep duty cycle to 90% on pump gas, I'll probably leave it right there.

On a good note, I just heard from Apex. They said run it, and he's going to let me exchange housings and stuff whenever I need to. So, I'll be going to the track next weekend, weather permitting.

The new mono-leafs and shackles are on. I haven't finished up underneath the car since I'm working on new subframe connectors, but hopefully they sit well. I had the ride height perfect before. I might say screw it and hit the dyno one more time before next weekend since I'm usually there anyway.
Old 03-03-2017, 02:56 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry about all the negatives lately....

So your into frame connectors eh?? I just got the steel to build mine 2 weeks ago. Have been toying with other stuff so didnt get to them yet but im there now.

Id be interested to see what your doing if you feel like sharing!!

Itll change your mind a bit too.... LOL!!

Lead

Last edited by Hellsx; 03-04-2017 at 09:21 AM.
Old 03-03-2017, 03:49 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm a month or so from subframe connectors as well. Wanted to make sure they get done before I throw in the new carpet and wiring.
I'm interested in seeing what you do for SFC's as well.
Old 03-06-2017, 08:07 AM
Restricted User

Went for a drive yesterday. Got about half a mile from the house and the lifters started to chatter. Turned around and went home. Car smelled HOT when I pulled in. I noticed oil all over everything on the passenger side under the hood. Looks like I have a hole in my oil feed.

Decided to change the oil. Remove the plug from the drain pan. I got MAYBE a quart out. I put 7 quarts of Rotella in an fired back up. Lifters quieted down after about 10 seconds. I'm hoping everything is OK. Oil pressure is ~40 PSI at idle so I'm assuming its fine.

Went back out for a drive. Car feels like a SLUG. I dunno if its the new turbo, but it feels down on HP by about 300 or so. I'm heading to the dyno in the next day or two to get some tuning done.
Old 03-06-2017, 09:48 AM
TECH Addict

So you only got a quart out if the oil pan? No one needs to tell you that's no good. I hope nothing's damaged internally from oil starvation. I'll keep my fingers crossed while you're on the dyno. Down 300 hp?! What turbo did you end up with?
Old 03-06-2017, 09:54 AM
Restricted User

I'm surprised that it returned to 100% normal operation with some new oil. No weird noises, ticks, or oil pressure loss. No chunks of bearing material or anything in the pan/filter. It had the normal glitter appearance in the oil. No discernible particles, just a very very light shine to the oil. It has done that almost every oil change since I've had it lol.

I'm using the billet S480. 87mm turbine with a 1.00 A/R. If it chokes out early I'll get a 1.25 A/R housing. At 20 lbs it feels like the old S475 did on about 10 lbs. It has to be moving more air because its lean up top. As soon as my buddies trailer gets finished up, we will load up the Nova and head to the dyno. I'm leaving work early today to return the battery under warranty, it just won't hold a charge.
Old 03-06-2017, 09:56 AM
Restricted User

Worst case, I pull the L33 and either swap something in temporary or just go ahead and forge it. I've got 3 others cars at my house right now that need finished so I'll put it on the back burner if the time comes.
Old 03-06-2017, 10:37 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by JoeNova
I'm surprised that it returned to 100% normal operation with some new oil. No weird noises, ticks, or oil pressure loss. No chunks of bearing material or anything in the pan/filter. It had the normal glitter appearance in the oil. No discernible particles, just a very very light shine to the oil. It has done that almost every oil change since I've had it lol.

I'm using the billet S480. 87mm turbine with a 1.00 A/R. If it chokes out early I'll get a 1.25 A/R housing. At 20 lbs it feels like the old S475 did on about 10 lbs. It has to be moving more air because its lean up top. As soon as my buddies trailer gets finished up, we will load up the Nova and head to the dyno. I'm leaving work early today to return the battery under warranty, it just won't hold a charge.
Strange that it's making so much boost but it's down so bad on power. Backpressure could be through the roof I suppose. What wheel and AR did you have in your 475? I've got a 1.25 on my 83 mm. Wish I had a bigger wheel, but it works nicely now.
Old 03-06-2017, 12:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by JoeNova
At 20 lbs it feels like the old S475 did on about 10 lbs. I.
Hate to ask-timing verified?
Old 03-06-2017, 12:54 PM
8 Second Club

Received 725 Likes on 532 Posts

Thats a bummer... Did you split the oil filter to look for damage?
Old 08-24-2017, 05:35 PM
Restricted User

The engine and trans are coming out. The sprag is broken in the transmission from my last track outing. It couldn't take the 1-2 shift, and when I let out it went into 3rd and I got back in it, forcing it to downshift into 2nd and it got even worse. I think its causing havoc in there now since the transmission makes a LOT of noise and I'm not trying to tear up my $1200 converter. I have no reverse or drive, but if I put the shifter in 3 I get the first 3 gears.

Engine is low on oil pressure and has a little bit of blow-by but nothing to worry about.
I'm going to have the transmission rebuild, and then do bearings and rings/hone in the block. I'm debating what to do from here. I really want to do some upgrades. The engine will be going on an engine dyno before it makes its way back into the car, and I'm going to see if I can muster 1000 HP on the engine dyno.

As a parting gift, I made a little compilation of some of the small videos I did with the car up until this year.

Old 12-19-2017, 07:31 AM
Restricted User

I had to pull the transmission for some major issues. No reverse, no overdrive. While I had it out, I took the engine apart. Flawless. Rods are all straight, rings are clean and free, pistons have been steam cleaned by the water injection. Even though I lost all of the oil through the feed line at one point and drove 10 mins before I realized I had no oil pressure (lifters started clattering), the bearings are all OK minus a couple with some heat marks. I'm going to hone, replace rings and bearings, and put it back together. I'll put the engine on the dyno again before it goes back into the car. I'm hoping on the engine dyno it'll do ~1100 HP on stock bottom end, unported heads, and pump gas around 26 PSI.

I got the trans apart. Within about a minute of removing the pump, I found carnage.

O/D roller clutch self destructed. Took out some things with it. I haven't opened up the direct clutches yet but I can think of at least 3 times they welded themselves together so I'm positive they're all trashed. At this point I'm going to look for a spare trans to borrow hard parts from. Then I'll order a good rebuild kit.

Old 12-19-2017, 08:54 AM
TECH Addict

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Blown06
Cool build, but I'm a sucker for a Nova with a rat motor.
Me too!!!! Am I that old?

Nice build OP.

Just noticed - look at this post number.

Quick Reply: 69 Nova. 5.3 L33 Turbo build. Billet S474, LOTS of pictures...