Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Why are there so few twin turbo setups on here?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2014, 02:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It seems like wanting or having twins here is like having a contagious disease. That's okay though. I like having the twins disease...crazy fast spool, stupid power, and ice cold a/c.
Old 07-14-2014, 02:44 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 2000RATA
It seems like wanting or having twins here is like having a contagious disease. That's okay though. I like having the twins disease...crazy fast spool, stupid power, and ice cold a/c.
Yeah you're right but the cars that posted their pictures up here of their twins are some kick *** setups. I knew info of a twin turbo 5.3 going into snow early c10 would be more trial and error than anything when I started this project. I've just been soaking up what knowledge I can from you guys and the rest well I'm just shooting from the hip and praying that it works. This old truck use to haul hay around the farm to my wife's horses so it's what I had to work with.
Old 07-14-2014, 03:31 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by boostedc20
Yeah you're right but the cars that posted their pictures up here of their twins are some kick *** setups. I knew info of a twin turbo 5.3 going into snow early c10 would be more trial and error than anything when I started this project. I've just been soaking up what knowledge I can from you guys and the rest well I'm just shooting from the hip and praying that it works. This old truck use to haul hay around the farm to my wife's horses so it's what I had to work with.
Just be thankful you started out with a gas powered pickup. I bought an older diesel pickup back in '02 and after a few years decided I wanted to
make "just a little bit more power". I helped a couple of shop owners put their kids thru college with it, but it was a lot of fun.
Old 07-14-2014, 03:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mrstepheneades
That was my plan blackpanther99.
You sure accomplished it lol

Everyones else twin setups look awesome also, gotta admit that twin setups tent to always look better under the hood than single setups.
Old 07-14-2014, 04:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Been talking to Jon at Huron speed about his tt kit and will be going that route with twin 62/66s
Old 07-14-2014, 04:31 PM
8 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by RonA
Just be thankful you started out with a gas powered pickup. I bought an older diesel pickup back in '02 and after a few years decided I wanted to make "just a little bit more power". I helped a couple of shop owners put their kids thru college with it, but it was a lot of fun.
Ha! Me too.. I must have spent 15k on my 7.3 just to get it to hold 550rwhp reliably (drivetrain and all)
Old 07-14-2014, 04:39 PM
8 Second Club

Twins are just plain badass anyway you slice it. More cash and a bit more headache? Sure, but when it's done it will **** on any single turbo setup. Here is my garage built normal guy TT setup in my 77' 280Z

Old 07-14-2014, 04:46 PM
8 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 07-14-2014, 06:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Oscs yours are placed like mine but just lower. Haven't seen your setup till now. Looks sick lol.
Old 07-14-2014, 06:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

I'm glad this thread started. I've been having a real hard time coming up with good pics or info on tt setups and I'm getting ready to start one. Ill be doing all my own fab work. Calling all tt setups keep posting the good pics and info
Old 07-14-2014, 07:23 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Drj8787
I'm glad this thread started. I've been having a real hard time coming up with good pics or info on tt setups and I'm getting ready to start one. Ill be doing all my own fab work. Calling all tt setups keep posting the good pics and info
I'm in the same boat as you amigo. Once I tear my nice running truck apart, I'll share so pics of the progress. Have the motor on the stand just waiting on parts to get it completed.

Some pics of the truck (things a turd for now) and the motor tear down and now finally going back together. Last one was just for fun, my son sitting on the boat motor.
Attached Thumbnails Why are there so few twin turbo setups on here?-20140612_194657.jpg   Why are there so few twin turbo setups on here?-img_20140629_195449.jpg   Why are there so few twin turbo setups on here?-img_20140709_222815.jpg   Why are there so few twin turbo setups on here?-img_6581asmall.jpg  

Last edited by boostedc20; 07-14-2014 at 07:47 PM.
Old 07-14-2014, 07:41 PM

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by JoeNova
Single turbos are usually more cost effective, take us less space, and are less complicated.

If you're looking for pictures of twins, look here:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-in...otor-bays.html
he hit all the marks i was going to
Old 07-14-2014, 07:43 PM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by samdogmx

Sick! Is that 3" from the intercooler to the TB? if so have you considered 4" ive heard of lower IAT when making the jump but havent seen it proven
Old 07-14-2014, 07:46 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by denmah
he hit all the marks i was going to
Denmah, I must say you're partly responsible for this build. Watching all of your videos just make this stuff look fun and thanks for all the tips and info you've posted on here. I come from the drag boat scene where there are few racers helping racers there.
Old 07-14-2014, 07:51 PM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by mrstepheneades
Oscs yours are placed like mine but just lower. Haven't seen your setup till now. Looks sick lol.
I hadn't noticed that you had yours angled in like mine until now . I would have liked to keep mine mirrored like yours but my engine bay is narrow and not very long (even had to modify upper radiator support to get more length) so i had to sacrifice looks for functionality.

My build has been at a stand still as im waiting on my motor... Should be another week or so. Shortly you will be seeing it at the top of the FI section as i will be hopefully making a lot of progress soon. until then if your interedted my build is located here.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-in...tsun-280z.html
Old 07-14-2014, 08:03 PM
8 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by oscs
Sick! Is that 3" from the intercooler to the TB? if so have you considered 4" ive heard of lower IAT when making the jump but havent seen it proven

yes its 3" from innercooler to TB,
Old 07-14-2014, 08:26 PM
Launching!

I hadn't noticed that you had yours angled in like mine until now . I would have liked to keep mine mirrored like yours but my engine bay is narrow and not very long (even had to modify upper radiator support to get more length) so i had to sacrifice looks for functionality.

My build has been at a stand still as im waiting on my motor... Should be another week or so. Shortly you will be seeing it at the top of the FI section as i will be hopefully making a lot of progress soon. until then if your interedted my build is located here.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-in...tsun-280z.html
I noticed your motor sits higher and a bit farther forward than mine. You probably have more room along the sides, but less up front.
Attached Thumbnails Why are there so few twin turbo setups on here?-003.jpg  
Old 07-14-2014, 08:29 PM
8 Second Club

I noticed your motor sits higher and a bit farther forward than mine. You probably have more room along the sides, but less up front.
Damn that is close to the crossmember.. You are correct mine sits farther forward with the JCI mounts. The front of my oil pan sits right about where your balancer does. What mounts are you using?
Old 07-14-2014, 09:25 PM
Launching!

Damn that is close to the crossmember.. You are correct mine sits farther forward with the JCI mounts. The front of my oil pan sits right about where your balancer does. What mounts are you using?
Car was this way when I got it. I think the motor mounts were built by Mr. Peabody and Sherman because the engine sits Way Back(Machine) into the fire wall. With the old set up, empty weight was: front axle 1440(47%), rear axle 1600(53%). Worked fine at 450rwhp, not sure what it will be like at double that.
Attached Thumbnails Why are there so few twin turbo setups on here?-004.jpg  
Old 07-14-2014, 09:48 PM
8 Second Club

Car was this way when I got it. I think the motor mounts were built by Mr. Peabody and Sherman because the engine sits Way Back(Machine) into the fire wall. With the old set up, empty weight was: front axle 1440(47%), rear axle 1600(53%). Worked fine at 450rwhp, not sure what it will be like at double that.
Yeah someone has done some extensive work to get those distribution numbers. Post up a build thread or something. Im always curious about other S30 cars. Seems like there is a ton on this web site too

Quick Reply: Why are there so few twin turbo setups on here?