Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

73 nova 4.8 gt45

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2015, 07:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

Nice running 4.8! Alot of BBC guys feelings would be hurt for sure!!!
Old 02-05-2015, 08:00 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 241 Likes on 168 Posts

Nos made a nozzle kit for the old Buick v6 turbos, a buddy installed one, really helped with the spool
Prob was only a 50 shot
Pretty cool if the Holley can be tweaked to help spooling with the fuel
My best to your daughter, has to be one of the hardest things to go through
Old 02-05-2015, 12:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Beanslsxnova
3000 stall and 3:25 rear gears. When I ordered the converter from ptc I asked for a 35-3800 stall but this is what I ended up with lol it drives nice and is tight up top
thanks 4 the info..and congratz !
Old 02-05-2015, 01:07 PM
8 Second Club

Received 758 Likes on 556 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Do you know what stator you ended up with on your PTC converter? (it's in the PN on the box).

When I lifted a head on my 5.3 I threw a 4.8 in to finish the season up. With the 14 stator PTC 9.5" it wouldn't build more than a pound of boost or so either. (t4 1.25 S476)I used a 50 shot of nitrous for less than a second to get into boost fast, then shut it off once boost started to build.

Later I installed a Treadstone intercooler and LS6 intake manifold. (Was running ls1 and china IC 32x12x4) After those two changes the 4.8 made boost all on its own. I think the pressure drop across the china core had alot to do with it. This was also on the isky 212/212 @ 112 cam.

May make a quick pressure tester and pressurize the cold side and make sure the hot-side doesn't' have any leaks. Seems odd the GT45 wouldn't be able to make a few lbs on your setup to me.

Good luck! Slick budget setup!

Last edited by Forcefed86; 02-05-2015 at 01:12 PM.
Old 02-05-2015, 05:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Forcefed86
Do you know what stator you ended up with on your PTC converter? (it's in the PN on the box).

When I lifted a head on my 5.3 I threw a 4.8 in to finish the season up. With the 14 stator PTC 9.5" it wouldn't build more than a pound of boost or so either. (t4 1.25 S476)I used a 50 shot of nitrous for less than a second to get into boost fast, then shut it off once boost started to build.

Later I installed a Treadstone intercooler and LS6 intake manifold. (Was running ls1 and china IC 32x12x4) After those two changes the 4.8 made boost all on its own. I think the pressure drop across the china core had alot to do with it. This was also on the isky 212/212 @ 112 cam.

May make a quick pressure tester and pressurize the cold side and make sure the hot-side doesn't' have any leaks. Seems odd the GT45 wouldn't be able to make a few lbs on your setup to me.

Good luck! Slick budget setup!
I'm running the same exact ebay intercooler. I may just go ahead and upgrade to a treadstone and be done with it. I bought a nitrous kit a little while ago to do exactly what you where saying. It's a last resort option but it's there if I need it lol. I think my cam Has some to do with it as well. The car has absolutely no a$$ under 3500rpm. It pulls hard to 7500 though so I have just been dealing with it. How do you like the triple 12. Where do you shift at?
Old 02-05-2015, 05:53 PM
TECH Apprentice

Well good news guys the surgery went as planed and so far she's doing fine. She's in recovery still under Anastasia, But she looks really good. I never really said what was going on, but Long story short she was born sep 18th with a slight restriction in her aortic artery directly leaving her heart. The doctors though that she may grow and it would go away. Well after 4 months nothing changed so they had to go in through her chest and open up the artery. Crazy to think of them doing all this to a 5month old. Thanks again for all the thoughts and prayers guys we really do appreciate it!

Last edited by Beanslsxnova; 02-05-2015 at 07:36 PM.
Old 02-05-2015, 06:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

That's great man, I'm assuming this will be a one and done thing? Seems like if they take care of it now she won't worry with it in the future..
Old 02-05-2015, 06:41 PM
Launching!

Such great news to hear about your daughter.
Old 02-05-2015, 08:01 PM
8 Second Club

Received 758 Likes on 556 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

I'm running the same exact ebay intercooler. I may just go ahead and upgrade to a treadstone and be done with it. I bought a nitrous kit a little while ago to do exactly what you where saying. It's a last resort option but it's there if I need it lol. I think my cam Has some to do with it as well. The car has absolutely no a$$ under 3500rpm. It pulls hard to 7500 though so I have just been dealing with it. How do you like the triple 12. Where do you shift at?
Cool deal about the TS IC is it's almost a direct bolt in for the china cooler. Can see pics and comparisons in my build thread here.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...153mph-13.html

To be honest though it's probably not needed. Nitrous works REALLY well. You don't need much and boost comes up instantly. I had mine (60 shot) come on at 2900 and off by 4100. Engine built boost on it's own after that. Buddy says a 10lb bottle lasts him a whole season doing the same at 100 hp.

I run a glide so I only shifted once around 6800. I really liked the Trip. 12 on my 5.3, but I don't think it's a perfect match the rev happy 4.8.

Great news on the kiddo!

Last edited by Forcefed86; 02-06-2015 at 10:44 AM.
Old 02-09-2015, 10:40 AM
TECH Enthusiast

That is great news, glad the surgery went well. Now you just have to keep curious slobber covered baby hands off the incision! Best of luck on the recovery!
Old 02-09-2015, 01:27 PM
8 Second Club

Received 700 Likes on 441 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Good news on your daughter. I hope her recovery continues to go well!

Ron
Old 02-19-2015, 11:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

Well we brought my daughter home Saturday and everything seems to be going good. She's such a strong little girl she barely cries and you never really know she's in pain. I feel like if I just had a my rib cage broken and my heart operated on you would be able to tell cause I would be throwing a fit lol. I know it's still early but I'm glad to have that hurdle behind us so we can move forward and get back to what we call "normal" life. I just wanna say thanks to all the guys here on tech who reach out and pm'd me and offered help with things. It's really nice to know that there's a lot of good people in this crazy world we live in, and on top of that we share the same interest. Once again thanks for all of the thoughts and prayers guys we really do appreciate it.
Old 02-19-2015, 11:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Forcefed86
Cool deal about the TS IC is it's almost a direct bolt in for the china cooler. Can see pics and comparisons in my build thread here.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...153mph-13.html

To be honest though it's probably not needed. Nitrous works REALLY well. You don't need much and boost comes up instantly. I had mine (60 shot) come on at 2900 and off by 4100. Engine built boost on it's own after that. Buddy says a 10lb bottle lasts him a whole season doing the same at 100 hp.

I run a glide so I only shifted once around 6800. I really liked the Trip. 12 on my 5.3, but I don't think it's a perfect match the rev happy 4.8.

Great news on the kiddo!
Which treadstone intercooler did you go with? Where you spraying the car while you where on the foot brake or right after you let off the brake?
Old 02-20-2015, 03:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old 04-06-2015, 07:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

Well it's been a while since I've updated. Haven't really driven the car a lot with winter an all. I did fire it up a few days ago to take it for a spin and one of my fuel fittings was leaking on the discharge of one of my fuel pumps. So I ordered a new fitting, and also ordered some parts to install a new turbo a bought. I picked up a tc-78 with the 68mm exsaust wheel. I'm hoping this turbo will spoil a little faster and make more power lb for lb over the gt-45.

What do you guys think as far as the tc-78 being a upgrade over the 69mm gt45?

I'm hoping it will all around out perform the gt45.
Old 04-06-2015, 07:47 PM
TECH Addict

Received 187 Likes on 137 Posts

Just looked over the beginning of your thread. If you still have the same cam, that could be a cause of your engine being a little soft down low. That cam is pretty big. Was it degreed? That could be an issue too. Some can be out as much as 8 degrees. So all that combined could be the cause of your lack of low end power.
Old 04-06-2015, 08:14 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 3 window
Just looked over the beginning of your thread. If you still have the same cam, that could be a cause of your engine being a little soft down low. That cam is pretty big. Was it degreed? That could be an issue too. Some can be out as much as 8 degrees. So all that combined could be the cause of your lack of low end power.
Yes I'm still running the same cam. I knew it was to big when I put it in but I figured I would try it over the stock cam. I did not degree it I just installed it straight up. At that time I dint have a degree wheel or the know how to do it. In the back of my head I know it could be the the problem. But this turbo was cheap so I figured I would try it lol
Old 04-06-2015, 08:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

Crazy how small this tc unit is compared to the gt45
Old 04-06-2015, 08:33 PM
TECH Addict

Received 187 Likes on 137 Posts

Yes I'm still running the same cam. I knew it was to big when I put it in but I figured I would try it over the stock cam. I did not degree it I just installed it straight up. At that time I dint have a degree wheel or the know how to do it. In the back of my head I know it could be the the problem. But this turbo was cheap so I figured I would try it lol
Yep "straight up" is kind of a useless phrase. May as well say "dot to dot." Sure that's where it's supposed to go, but where's it actually at? The answer is you won't know unless you check it. Obviously you have great mechanical aptitude, it show's by your car. A lot of R&D goes into cams to make them do what they're supposed to and when we don't hold up our end by installing them where they're supposed to be, we can cause issues and end up disappointed.
Good luck with the new turbo. I'd be after a new cam after that. Or at least degree the one you have. It could make a HUGE difference. Keep us posted.
Old 04-06-2015, 09:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 3 window
Yep "straight up" is kind of a useless phrase. May as well say "dot to dot." Sure that's where it's supposed to go, but where's it actually at? The answer is you won't know unless you check it. Obviously you have great mechanical aptitude, it show's by your car. A lot of R&D goes into cams to make them do what they're supposed to and when we don't hold up our end by installing them where they're supposed to be, we can cause issues and end up disappointed.
Good luck with the new turbo. I'd be after a new cam after that. Or at least degree the one you have. It could make a HUGE difference. Keep us posted.
Thanks I appreciate it. I'm gonna pull the Hotside off this week and add another wastegate. while I have it all apart I think I will go ahead and throw a degree wheel on it and see where it's at. I don't have a cam card for this cam but I know what it is. Should I call comp cams and see where they recomend I install it?

Quick Reply: 73 nova 4.8 gt45