Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Eboost2 VS AMS 500

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2014, 09:08 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Eboost2 VS AMS 500

Let me start by saying I know nothing about either of them. My first turbo motor will be back in my car end of this month. I know a lot of you guys on here use the Eboost2. However someone told me to get the AMS 500 controller for my set up. Not drag racing or anything like that. Just a fun street car/highway roller/dyno queen. Both are priced the same so not about cost. Opinions?
Old 09-02-2014, 09:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 74 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by vettewreck
Let me start by saying I know nothing about either of them. My first turbo motor will be back in my car end of this month. I know a lot of you guys on here use the Eboost2. However someone told me to get the AMS 500 controller for my set up. Not drag racing or anything like that. Just a fun street car/highway roller/dyno queen. Both are priced the same so not about cost. Opinions?
honestly, i havent hooked up my ams 500 yet but its because im considering just using an eboost street. Its easier to adjust the boost on it and thats really all i want at this point. The ams is super simple but adjusting requires opening the box up, where as the eboost you just turn the **** on the readout.
Old 09-02-2014, 09:54 AM
Launching!

Gotcha. Why did you decide to buy the AMS 500 then?
Old 09-02-2014, 10:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 74 Likes on 40 Posts

Heard it was great and i came across one super cheap.
Old 09-02-2014, 07:18 PM
8 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Never have used an AMS controller, but I like my eboost2. Adjust boost level with the push of a button. Up to 6 different boost levels and some more cool features with a little ingenuity. I have mine hooked up to be able to start a timed boost sequence via the cruise control set button upon release (also my trans brake button) as well as being able to use the cruise resume switch to increase boost level. The only thing that sucks about that is the controller needs to be in certain modes to use those features.
Old 09-02-2014, 08:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok, possibly a dumb question but I guess I've gotta learn somewhere. How does the boost controller work to control boost?? I thought that was done by the wastegate spring.. This is probably not the best time to be asking since I'm soon to start my build thread. :/
Old 09-02-2014, 09:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by JustAFooL
Ok, possibly a dumb question but I guess I've gotta learn somewhere. How does the boost controller work to control boost?? I thought that was done by the wastegate spring.. This is probably not the best time to be asking since I'm soon to start my build thread. :/
Just watched video on this and understand how it works now.. Still curious though, when would this be necessary in a build or does it help in any boosted application?
Old 09-02-2014, 09:50 PM
On The Tree

AMS500 with CO2 is entry level professional grade. Eboost2 is pretty and has buttons but is amateur grade by comparison as far as controlling boost.

It's like an iPad compared to a Toughbook laptop. One is way more appealing to the eye while the other does work in harsh environments.
Old 09-03-2014, 05:57 AM
9 Second Club

Received 179 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by LosLS2
AMS500 with CO2 is entry level professional grade. Eboost2 is pretty and has buttons but is amateur grade by comparison as far as controlling boost.

It's like an iPad compared to a Toughbook laptop. One is way more appealing to the eye while the other does work in harsh environments.
Given the AMS500 appears to offer only 2 boost options to the driver...

Really dont see how that statement rings true.

From a user perspective the Eboost2 offers the driver more on every level, and with easier access to adjustments whilst in the car. To me that makes it superior.

But more importantly for the OP.

What exactly do you want from a boost controller ? What are your needs ?

And all controllers work by adjusting air pressure fed to the wastegate to either work against the internal spring, or work with it to offer you varying boost levels.
Old 09-03-2014, 11:23 AM
Launching!

Basically Id just like to dial the boost up or down while in my car and have a safety shut off if I go over that desired amount (from something happening). Motor will be anywhere from 16-20lb of boost depending on how safe we can make it for the most power. Then id like to cruise the streets at say 8/9/10lb but if I wanna roll on someone on the highway I can immediately dial it up to 18/20lb from in the car. Kinda cheesy but thats what I want.
Old 09-03-2014, 05:23 PM
9 Second Club

No external controller can give you a proper safety for overboost unless it somehow interacts with the engine ecu to force a shut down.

Most boost controllers will offer a feature called overboost protection, but this relies on the actual boost control system still being functional in the first place.....so isnt really protection against a fault.

The EBoost street would be much cheaper and do what you want.
Old 09-03-2014, 07:29 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've got one for sale

It's easy to use and hook up. I got a pulse leash/ boost leash combo.
Old 09-03-2014, 07:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

I went with the Boost Leash as I see it as the best of both worlds. Yet to hook it up though as the car is currently being built.

Subscribed.
Old 12-28-2014, 01:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'll reopen the thread again. I have just notcied that AMS has a version 2 now available for the same price as the previous model.

http://turbobullet.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=7305

My comparison question now is, which is better between the Eboost2 and the AMS500V2?

The factor to me is that I think the Eboost2 is RPM based while AMS is timed based. Now which do you prefer?
Old 12-28-2014, 04:26 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by SwampWS6
I'll reopen the thread again. I have just notcied that AMS has a version 2 now available for the same price as the previous model.

http://turbobullet.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=7305

My comparison question now is, which is better between the Eboost2 and the AMS500V2?

The factor to me is that I think the Eboost2 is RPM based while AMS is timed based. Now which do you prefer?
You can ramp boost in with time on the EBoost2 as well. Doesnt look overly easy to set up, but you can do it.

Quick Reply: Eboost2 VS AMS 500