Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

New to builds and have some questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2014, 11:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to builds and have some questions

Hi, I posted a thread awhile back ago about wanting to build a budget 6.0 or 5.7 with 500rwhp. After some talking with some of the guys on here I have discovered it will be much cheaper in the long run to build a 5.3. I have some questions for the FI community now though.
I have found a 5.3 out of a 05 gmc for $400, believe i will be picking it up when my ship pulls back in if it is still there. I would like to go FI either single or twin turbo on it, seems like that is where the huge power from these blocks are coming from.
I want to go with 243 heads ported to the best they can be (not sure what that is im new to all this just did some research on what seems best) and a fast 102/102 cause i have been told that is the best i can get for this build. As for cam i plan on finding someone to custom grind one if any of you have an suggestions i would greatly appreciate it. Headers i do not know, i would like 1 7/8ths but i dont even know what car i will have this in yet as i do not have one for it yet.
As for turbos, i found this on EBAY and i am very interested. I know aboslutly nothing about setting up FI but i have a friend back home that says he can help me custom fab it to fit if needed (he is a mechanic) do any of you know if this is worth the price? and if so what else i would need to run this set up on a 5.3l? http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Small-Block-Chevy-Twin-Turbo-TT-kit-1000HP-SBC-Chevrolet-Camaro-Trans-AM-/251161721779?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3a7a67bbb3&vxp=mtr#ht_3060wt_843
My current goal is 600+ Rwhp on a budget (by this i mean mainly DIY and strung out over a long period of time, heads one month, mabe cam another, 2 or 3 months for the turbos , small purchases like that since i have a family and cant dump large sums of money at this time) Any advice on achieving this or more would be helpful too.

If any of you have any tips on what would be a good handleing cheap roller car for this to go into i would greatly appreciate that too. I was considering rx7, 240, miata, or fiero but the amount of work may be way to much for those so anything that is light and good for street will be nice, i do not plan on using this vehicle at the drag often just street and a very nice date night car with the wife.
I am active duty navy and our ship is currently in and out very often so I may be late to respond (we are currently out and net is crappy) but i will try to respond as soon as possible to any helpful advice.
Lastly does anyone know a good tuner in the Norfolk VA area? Seems like there is a guy at horsepower solutions but I would like to know if anyone on here has suggestions.
Thanks for your time.
Old 10-31-2014, 06:33 AM
Restricted User

Received 104 Likes on 87 Posts

Okay, there are a few things you might want to stray away from here.

1. I want to go with 243 heads ported to the best they can be .
Completely unnecessary. If your goal is 5-600whp, any of the stock castings, unported, will get you there. 243s or 799s will make it easier because of their flow numbers, but still aren't necessary.

2. and a fast 102/102 cause i have been told that is the best i can get for this build
Again, not true. The fast intakes are really good for N/A builds and hood fitment. There are tons of taller intakes that make more power under boost. This all pails in comparison to the fact that ANY of the stock intakes will make well over 5-600whp, so don't even bother wasting your money yet. The stock truck and LS6 intakes have been pushed to 1000HP and beyond. If you want this a budget build, use whatever heads and intake comes on the 5.3 and call it done.

3. Headers i do not know, i would like 1 7/8ths but i dont even know what car i will have this in yet as i do not have one for it yet.
Again, more of an N/A thing. The stock 5.3 truck manifolds will work great. Flip them around to face forward and the cut the flanges off and weld on some V-band flanges. They've been pushed to almost 2000 HP this way.

You sound like you're trying to spend way more money than you need for this modest goal.

Personally for 500whp, I would get a stock 5.3 and wouldn't touch a thing on it. I wouldn't even remove the valve covers. Stock intake and exhaust manifolds, stock cam and heads. Get a cheap proven turbo like the 76mm from On3, as it will make 500whp on a stock 5.3. You could use the stock ECU and have it tuned with HPTuners.

You'll need to upgrade your fuel system. 60 lb Ford GT500 injectors are about $200 bucks and Walbro 400 pump with install kit is usually less than $150.

As far as exhaust piping and stuff, if you have someone that can fabricate then it can be done fairly cheap. When I first started mine I picked up all of the piping and flanges for like $300 bucks from Columbia River.

As long as you have a modest 500whp or so goal, you don't need to throw very much money at it. I wouldn't even upgrade the cam until I was already making 600whp and trying to squeeze out more or change the shape of the power curve a little.
Old 11-01-2014, 03:04 AM

Thanks joe, i was unaware that the stock motor would get me even close, kept seeing people pushing for more doing those changes thought i would have to aswell. Would a stock motor with the truck manifold fit into a smaller car? I.E, RX-7, C5 (dream roller right now if i can find one), or older camaro? I guess if i do not need to change all of that gives me more to throw at drive train
Old 11-01-2014, 09:36 AM

the ls based engines are very compact so they fit quite well into a rx chasssix or basically any chassis you want to shove one in look up the user named Denmah on here he builds junkyard based ls swaped stuff thats mind blowing fast for very little money
Old 11-01-2014, 07:24 PM

Thanks i will look him up. This seems like its going to cost me alot less now. I had originally planned for about 8k not counting the motor in just upgrades to the motor. Might even try to break 600whp one day
Old 11-01-2014, 11:51 PM

Originally Posted by JoeNova
Okay, there are a few things you might want to stray away from here.

1. I want to go with 243 heads ported to the best they can be .
Completely unnecessary. If your goal is 5-600whp, any of the stock castings, unported, will get you there. 243s or 799s will make it easier because of their flow numbers, but still aren't necessary.

2. and a fast 102/102 cause i have been told that is the best i can get for this build
Again, not true. The fast intakes are really good for N/A builds and hood fitment. There are tons of taller intakes that make more power under boost. This all pails in comparison to the fact that ANY of the stock intakes will make well over 5-600whp, so don't even bother wasting your money yet. The stock truck and LS6 intakes have been pushed to 1000HP and beyond. If you want this a budget build, use whatever heads and intake comes on the 5.3 and call it done.

3. Headers i do not know, i would like 1 7/8ths but i dont even know what car i will have this in yet as i do not have one for it yet.
Again, more of an N/A thing. The stock 5.3 truck manifolds will work great. Flip them around to face forward and the cut the flanges off and weld on some V-band flanges. They've been pushed to almost 2000 HP this way.

You sound like you're trying to spend way more money than you need for this modest goal.

Personally for 500whp, I would get a stock 5.3 and wouldn't touch a thing on it. I wouldn't even remove the valve covers. Stock intake and exhaust manifolds, stock cam and heads. Get a cheap proven turbo like the 76mm from On3, as it will make 500whp on a stock 5.3. You could use the stock ECU and have it tuned with HPTuners.

You'll need to upgrade your fuel system. 60 lb Ford GT500 injectors are about $200 bucks and Walbro 400 pump with install kit is usually less than $150.

As far as exhaust piping and stuff, if you have someone that can fabricate then it can be done fairly cheap. When I first started mine I picked up all of the piping and flanges for like $300 bucks from Columbia River.

As long as you have a modest 500whp or so goal, you don't need to throw very much money at it. I wouldn't even upgrade the cam until I was already making 600whp and trying to squeeze out more or change the shape of the power curve a little.
Would it be possible to run twin 76mm so that in the future if i want to push way more than 5-600whp i could? I really do not plan on running more than 18-20psi. but if one day i want to upgrade the engine to say 900hp would twin on-3 76mm do it?
Old 11-02-2014, 08:49 AM
Restricted User

Received 104 Likes on 87 Posts

The on3 76mm turn is make 700 or so to the wheels when pushed. You'll have 1400whp worth of turn is.

There is a guy on here making over 1000whp on a stock bottom end 6.0 that runs deep 8s on a pair of then. On a 5.3 I would think they would almost be too much. I would opt for twin 70s.

A single BW 76mm can make over 1000 HP. I guess it depends on whether or not you want a single or twins.
Old 11-02-2014, 08:54 AM
11 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Twin 76mm is possible and would be a very mild build. Im working on building a 5.3 junkyard motor right now with a LS6 cam, stock shaved 241 heads, bt springs and a single 76mm on3 turbo kit. planning on an easy 600hp. might do a meth kit also.
Old 11-02-2014, 08:29 PM

Thanks guys i will continue my shopping around, is it unwise to consider a used turbo? also, should i go ball bearing or not? seems to be alot more money and i cant find to much of a difference in power output
Old 11-03-2014, 02:30 AM
Teching In

The ebay/chinese turbos are cheap and make great power. No need for ball bearing. The 78mm turbos are going for around $400 shipped. The 76mm are around $350 shipped. Spend the money on upgrading the fuel system. Look into a water/meth kit.
Old 11-03-2014, 05:10 AM

Found a site for it after doing some research. Looks like meth injection could be simple and fun and cheap. Good little DIY site here. I will be testing this out

http://www.turbomirage.com/water-alc...tructions.html

So from what i have learned from you guys and what i have managed to research on the slow internet out here this is my plan, if you have advice, tips, or see that im planning something completely wrong please let me know.

5.3l v8 with twin 62,66 or 70mm turbos, DIY meth injection, 80lbs injectors, CTS-V oil pan.
car is looking like a gen 3 or 4 iroc z or z28. Or if I can find one a 70s stingray or c5/c6 for cheap. Will put in a T-56 if i can get one that is able to handle 800+ tq and hp.(any tips here?) do not know what rear end or gears yet.
after the car is set up and driving i plan on porting the stock heads, replacing springs, get a better gasket, better studs, custom grind cam, new roller lifters, pushrods, rockers, ported ls6 or fast lsxr intake and TB for clearence issues (may have to do before install), good brakes and suspension(can someone please give me advice on this?) and a carbon fiber drive shaft for the few lbs it will shed.
I would like to keep AC and power steering if at all possible too can someone let me know if it is?
Also going to pick up an aluminum 6.0l block once this build is done and slowly start building it up to be my replacement engine.

Last edited by Kyle Lee; 11-03-2014 at 06:10 AM. Reason: found the information i needed/smaller turbos
Old 11-06-2014, 09:21 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think figuring out your roller will solve a lot of questions. Aluminum 6.0 is going to be pretty pricey. The aluminum 5.3 l33 motors are strong and not that expensive. The iron 6.0 is also a great choice. Keep them 05+ for the year and you will get stronger stock rods.

Quick Reply: New to builds and have some questions