Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

96 LT1 383 stroker paxton

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2014, 07:56 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 96 LT1 383 stroker paxton

I bought this car around 2 months ago, it's had a lot more problems than I thought. Had to get a exhaust leak fixed, and a tranny leak fixed. Now I believe the something around the supercharger is leaking... Looks like oil, but my pressure is amazingly good. It's a smallish leak, but seems that there are 3 spots on the ground and also there is dried oil looking fluid on part of the intake. I need suggestions guys, this car has been nothing but headaches and it's not even as fast as it should be, maybe this could be causing that issue?
Old 11-30-2014, 02:10 PM
Staging Lane

really? no one..
Old 11-30-2014, 10:01 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You are being pretty vague. What exact advice are you looking for here?

Exhaust leaks are easy, tranny leaks should be too hard to figure out a solution.

Leaks on an LT1 (a boosted one especially) are not uncommon. Cleans the block down completely, then use some baby powder and run the car to trace down exactly where the oil leak is coming from.

As far as oil in the intake, if you have ever popped off any intake on an engine before you know they are not clean and have residue. Are you sure its oil?

Cars are like people, as they age and get older, it takes regular main trance to keep them healthy whereas when they are younger and more in their prime they can take a little more abuse without showing the signs of wear and getting older.

Your 96 Camaro is getting ready to turn 19 years old. Its likely going to need some TLC to get things back up to good shape.
Old 12-01-2014, 07:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Good advice from C911 - additionally, when I first added boost to my engine, I discovered that almost every vacuum line was in some way, shape, matter, or form, leaking.

It only takes a little patience to root out and resolve those 'little' problems, but leaks can cause issues. My wife's Malibu had an oil leak that turned out to be a simple valve cover gasket; maybe yours will be that easy too!

Good luck!
Old 12-06-2014, 01:37 PM
Staging Lane

Hey guys thanks for the response, I'm not very experienced in this kind of stuff, I know a little not a lot on fixing cars... But I would love to know a lot more, but have no one that can teach me anyways... I'm thinking it's supercharger fluid... as I wiped my finger across the intake pipe and it was more of a clear color...

Additionally I just installed my boost gauge, the car sits at -13 vacuum but never goes over 0 when giving it gas, I think this leak may be a reason to rebuild the supercharger... but could it just be a simple waste gate problem?

Thanks for your replies guys!
Old 12-06-2014, 01:39 PM
Staging Lane

Oh yes btw, it's a novi 2000, I forgot to mention.
Old 12-06-2014, 02:00 PM
TECH Addict

-13 vacuum is actually very good, so I don't think a leak. I am not familiar with novi superchargers. What fluid do they take and where does it go?
Old 12-06-2014, 02:24 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by CALL911
-13 vacuum is actually very good, so I don't think a leak. I am not familiar with novi superchargers. What fluid do they take and where does it go?
I couldn't tell you man, first paxton I've owned lol. I just got this car around 3 months ago. So I keep learning new things about it... And I'm pretty sure it's supercharger fluid it's leaking, like a lubricant for it.
Old 12-06-2014, 05:09 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 3Whips
I couldn't tell you man, first paxton I've owned lol. I just got this car around 3 months ago. So I keep learning new things about it... And I'm pretty sure it's supercharger fluid it's leaking, like a lubricant for it.
I would think it would be engine oil rather than supercharger fluid without knowing more about the unit. It would seem much more likely the seal between the car and the blower leaks rather than where the oil is self contained and factory sealed on the unit itself. I'm not even 100% sure a novi would be lubricated at all, but again not familiar with the setups. See if you can contact novi for more information on the unit and or talk to one of their techs would be my next reccomendation.
Old 12-15-2014, 05:18 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by CALL911
I would think it would be engine oil rather than supercharger fluid without knowing more about the unit. It would seem much more likely the seal between the car and the blower leaks rather than where the oil is self contained and factory sealed on the unit itself. I'm not even 100% sure a novi would be lubricated at all, but again not familiar with the setups. See if you can contact novi for more information on the unit and or talk to one of their techs would be my next reccomendation.
Btw I messed up it's actually a SN2000 not a novi.

And still not sure about why my blower really isn't making boost

It's vacuum side is about 13-15 and when accelerating it will just never go past 0.
Old 02-22-2015, 07:37 PM
Staging Lane

Yes! It was the type f fluid from the supercharging leaking! I just got it rebuilt and I'm making boost! That supercharger wasn't making any boost and was leaking and being belt driven it was taking power away from the engine. But now it's actually making boost and man does it make a difference! It hauls some serious *** now 😷

Quick Reply: 96 LT1 383 stroker paxton