Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

ATI balancer alignment issues

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2014, 10:19 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default ATI balancer alignment issues

Alright, after countless searches that turned up everything except what Im looking for here it is. I am having issues with getting the ati blancer to go far enough down on the crank to make all 3 belts align properly. This is on an 05 model 6.0 LQ4 engine with a stock bottom end. The a/c, the serp, and the 8 rib blower belts are all off by about 1/4" or so. I have tried to loosen all the a/c bracket bolts and pull it towards the front in hopes of gaining some extra slack but no luck. The crank pulley needs to go on further. I have tried using the install tool and a 24" long 1/2" breaker bar with a flywheel holder tool on it but I still cant get it to go on far enough. It is almost like the balancer needs some material shaved off the back to allow it to go on further. Has this ever happened to anyone else? The initial install went smooth and the pulley bottomed out and felt just like it should. I have installed and removed ls style crank pulleys many times with no issues. Any ideas?
Old 11-30-2014, 11:01 AM
10 Second Club

Did you happen to put a double roller chain in there? There have been issues with double chains stopping some balancers from fully seating on the crank.
Old 11-30-2014, 11:07 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 228 Likes on 161 Posts

is the balancer seated against the pump drive
Meas. the depth from the crank to the balancer, call ATI and see how much should be exposed
Could be you have the wrong balancer-there are a few, have to match the asses. drive
Old 11-30-2014, 11:10 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 5.3LJimmy
Did you happen to put a double roller chain in there? There have been issues with double chains stopping some balancers from fully seating on the crank.
I used an ls2 chain with stock gears.
Old 11-30-2014, 11:16 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by forcd ind
is the balancer seated against the pump drive
Meas. the depth from the crank to the balancer, call ATI and see how much should be exposed
Could be you have the wrong balancer-there are a few, have to match the asses. drive
If it isn't seated something is wrong and I cant imagine what it would be. It pressed on and the install went pretty smoothly until it stopped and I assumed it was bottomed out. I thought the balancer seated against the timing gear or sprocket whatever you wanna call it? Im using a melling high pressure pump but I was thinking it slid over the gear and didn't contact the balancer at all. If you are talking about the shoulder height inside the hub from the crank surface to the hub shoulder then its 0.246" measured with a micrometer. These are the two surfaces that the ati pinning kit would sit on and the drill bit cuts the hole in for the pin. Correct? Is there a ati part # on the balancer any where that I can look at to make sure I have the right part #?
Old 11-30-2014, 11:51 AM
10 Second Club

733185 is the # on the front.
Old 11-30-2014, 03:07 PM
10 Second Club

Found the ati box and the part # on the box is 918853. Im gonna try to check and see if the assessory belt is aligned. Its gonna be kinda hard with the a/c compressor still attached to the car and the ps pump still attached to the kmember. I wonder if the a/c bracket bolt holes in the block could be drilled slightly off from the factory on the iron block? The procharger alignment is easily fixed as long as the rest of the belts are aligned.
Old 11-30-2014, 07:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have you measured the crank and ATI hub? I guarantee the hub needs to be honed to achieve the proper amount of press.
Old 11-30-2014, 11:06 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by JRENIGAR
Found the ati box and the part # on the box is 918853. Im gonna try to check and see if the assessory belt is aligned. Its gonna be kinda hard with the a/c compressor still attached to the car and the ps pump still attached to the kmember. I wonder if the a/c bracket bolt holes in the block could be drilled slightly off from the factory on the iron block? The procharger alignment is easily fixed as long as the rest of the belts are aligned.
Ya part # 918853 is for stock ls1 fitment. You probably need a different part # pulley since you got a newer style block. just not sure which one.
Old 12-01-2014, 07:34 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by c0ncEpT
Have you measured the crank and ATI hub? I guarantee the hub needs to be honed to achieve the proper amount of press.
Hmmm havent heard this one before. No I didnt measure it as I just assumed that all ls cranks were the same diamiter. Guess I need to read up on them. Thanks.
Old 12-01-2014, 07:43 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 210guy
Ya part # 918853 is for stock ls1 fitment. You probably need a different part # pulley since you got a newer style block. just not sure which one.
Its a gen 3 engine supposedly out of an 07 silverado 2500 classic. It has the ls1 reluctor wheel on it, would that still possibly need a different balancer? It didnt have the balancer on it when I bought it so I have nothing to compare it to from a balancer spacing stand point. I just assumed it was the same. Would a block casting # help to identify it to make sure I was given the correct info on the engine?
Old 12-01-2014, 01:19 PM
On The Tree

so are you using the ft cam sensor in the cover ? I would call ATI but I think you are going to run into a mis match with that crank/cover and your accessories I'm assuming form a std F body LS1
Old 12-01-2014, 03:50 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by ezstriper
so are you using the ft cam sensor in the cover ? I would call ATI but I think you are going to run into a mis match with that crank/cover and your accessories I'm assuming form a std F body LS1
It has a gen 3 cover on it and all gen 3 stuff from factory. It might have been an 06 model that he said, I cant exactly remember. Talked to Bob and ATI today and I need to remove the hub and make sure the part # is correct. ATI said it sounds like a truck hub may be on it. The vette is too short and the ls1 hub would line up correctly.
Old 12-01-2014, 07:30 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 228 Likes on 161 Posts

Rereading your posts, it looks like you have truck acces if they came with the engine, but I think the balancer is for an F body
I don't see that balancer in the cat., but its listed as LS1 F in my
price list
I have a stock 2004 truck balancer in the garage, I could take a meas,
like where it hits the cam gear to the front of it
Old 12-01-2014, 08:28 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by forcd ind
Rereading your posts, it looks like you have truck acces if they came with the engine, but I think the balancer is for an F body
I don't see that balancer in the cat., but its listed as LS1 F in my
price list
I have a stock 2004 truck balancer in the garage, I could take a meas,
like where it hits the cam gear to the front of it
I apologize if I didn't make it clear that Im using the stock fbody accessories. I called ATI and they said it should measure 3.990" and it does so Im sure I have the right hub, balancer and a/c pulley. I have all but verified that the serpentine belt is aligned and its just the balancer a/c pulley that bolts on from the back side that's not aligned with the two tensioners om the a/c compressor bracket and the a/c compressor pulley. I took the bracket with both tensioners off the iron block and bolted it back on the compressor under the hood to verify they are all aligned. I then reinstalled the bracket on the iron block and determined by my best guess that the belt is off by roughly 1 rib. The a/c damper pulley needs to be farther back toward the rear of the engine or spaced slightly away from the balancer to be perfectly aligned. I am curious if anyone could take a measurement of how much shoulder is on the front of the a/c balancer pulley until it reaches the 1st rib so that I can make sure I don't have a fluke. Im sure I don't but at this point I will believe almost anything. If nothing else Im gonna take the a/c bracket to the end mill and elongate the mounting holes slightly where it bolts to the block. Atleast this way the compressor and idlers will still be aligned and just slide the whole assembly forward to get the alignment closer than what it is. Please understand that Im not splitting hairs here. Its plainly obvious that they are not aligned if you know what your looking at and I just don't wanna leave it like that if I can help it.
Old 12-01-2014, 09:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Measure your crank. That hub probably has way to much press. I've seen guys crank them on so hard it actually mars the crank when the press isn't correct.
Old 12-02-2014, 06:04 AM
11 Second Club

I heated mine up in the oven then installed it. 6.0 block, 918853 damper
Old 12-02-2014, 07:36 AM
TECH Resident

You can also install the A/C pulley on the main hub backwards which throws the alignment off.
Old 12-02-2014, 08:48 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by c0ncEpT
Measure your crank. That hub probably has way to much press. I've seen guys crank them on so hard it actually mars the crank when the press isn't correct.
It went on about the same as the stocker did.. No marks were left on the crank or in the hub. I also removed the front cover and reinstalled it to verify it was seated against the timing gear. The hub is aligned properly because the accessory drive belt is aligned as far as I can tell.
Old 12-02-2014, 08:53 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 6togo
You can also install the A/C pulley on the main hub backwards which throws the alignment off.
I cant seem to find a pic of what way it should go on. I got it from the previous owner already assembled. I can say that the flange where bolt holes are in the a/c pulley is tapered away from the hub. Gonna go pull it and revers the pulley to see how it looks. Thanks for the idea.

Quick Reply: ATI balancer alignment issues