Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Over 1K+ rwhp...when did you go aftermarket ecu?

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2014, 02:52 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Over 1K+ rwhp...when did you go aftermarket ecu?

Wondering how many 1K+ rwhp cars are using stock computers and who is using a aftermarket ECU?
Old 12-24-2014, 03:13 PM
On The Tree

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I made over 1k to the wheels with a Ysi and then twin turbos with the stock E38 ECU in a 2010 camaro. I'm planning to hit 1300 to the wheels early next year on the same stock ECU.
Old 12-24-2014, 03:15 PM
11 Second Club

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

1160rwhp with twins on stock computer
Old 12-24-2014, 04:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Subscribed.

Curious to hear about guys running the Dominator/etc.

I'm planning on being around 800 rwhp with room to grow, so ideally I'd like something that incorporates custom wiring, boost control, ability to retain power windows (lol), and random **** like that.

Seems to me like it'd be worth the investment as all of us dump months of salary to make all of **** power, but then controlling it almost becomes an afterthought. I know guys are making 1K+ rwhp with the stock ECU, but I think there's something to be said about migrating to an aftermarket option - or at least those are my thoughts for the time being, as it relates to my build.
Old 12-25-2014, 05:30 AM
9 Second Club

Received 179 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by a98ws6
Wondering how many 1K+ rwhp cars are using stock computers and who is using a aftermarket ECU?
You stop using a stock ecu when it doesnt have the features you want.

Power has very little to do with many of those.
Old 12-25-2014, 07:16 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by stevieturbo
You stop using a stock ecu when it doesnt have the features you want.

Power has very little to do with many of those.
I get that but im not a tuner. I wouldn't know what features I would need. 95% of the people I know say I should get a aftermarket ECU with my setup" Forged 370 solid roller, 1/2" studs, o-ringed, TFS 235's w/Jesel's, Holley Hi-ram, S480 ET-R HO billet wheel, etc..."

I have also seen tons of guys out there with stock computers making well over 1k rwhp so im wondering when or if I should switch?
Old 12-25-2014, 07:33 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by a98ws6
I get that but im not a tuner. I wouldn't know what features I would need. 95% of the people I know say I should get a aftermarket ECU with my setup" Forged 370 solid roller, 1/2" studs, o-ringed, TFS 235's w/Jesel's, Holley Hi-ram, S480 ET-R HO billet wheel, etc..."

I have also seen tons of guys out there with stock computers making well over 1k rwhp so im wondering when or if I should switch?

Features you need...or features you want. And generically saying aftermarket means little as there are literally dozens out there, with vastly different abilities

If those 95% are saying this, ask them why ? What do they feel an aftermarket setup will offer you ? and are they talking about any system in particular.

First off is usually ease/speed of tuning...some are, some arent, but with virtually all you dont have to **** about flashing stuff in, all changes are live and fast.

But features can be many. Whether better fuel/spark control, better resolution with the tables, more inputs/outputs ( whether for controlling multiple pumps, devices, injectors, nitrous, methanol, water pumps etc ), better ( or actually having ) datalogging, boost control, launch control, 2-step, safety strategies, traction control, wideband lambda control, knock control and safeties, DBW control, flex fuel options, trans control if needed, giving the driver tune adjustments or options on the fly etc.

Even within those features just because 2 ecu's offer for example boost control....doesnt mean the abilities of each system are the same.

No different than a simple mechanical valve offers the user boost control....but that will be vastly different to what say an AMS2000 offers, but they are both still essentially means of boost control.

So it's a big topic, and you need to decide or discuss with a tuner what any system can offer you, what the benefits are etc and any negatives there might be.
Plus what sort of support there is for any particular system
Old 12-25-2014, 11:18 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 150 Likes on 97 Posts

When an aftermarket ecu can save your motor by adding in fuel.... That is one of the big reasons...

Ie boost creep, fuel pump, clogged filters, failing adj FPR, or relay failing all require more fuel.
Old 12-25-2014, 11:47 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by gnx7
When an aftermarket ecu can save your motor by adding in fuel.... That is one of the big reasons...

Ie boost creep, fuel pump, clogged filters, failing adj FPR, or relay failing all require more fuel.
IMO relying on closed loop lambda for any of those is wrong. There should be safeties specifically for those.

ie proper mapping/tuning in any higher boost cells as well as overboost protection.

There should be monitoring of fuel pressure to ensure it stays within certain ranges at all times.

Closed loop lambda would then be in place outside of these and there would also be monitoring of lambda vs engine load with safeties in place to reduce engine speed if these are exceeded.

Only allowing or relying upon a huge swing of lambda to try and protect against problems is a risk in itself and in many cases will be limited depending on injector size and high much actual ffuel flow might be available if any of the aforementioned problems occur in fuel supply

But again....the ecu needs to support all of these.
Old 12-25-2014, 11:52 AM
9 Second Club

made over 1500wheel through a th400 on stock computer for years and years. It works great, but not having closed loop AFR correction is the main drawback of it.

other features that good stand alones have are bonus, like FP monitoring and fueling correction (safety for any movement), boost control, traction control, oil pressure monitoring (safety), individual cylinder trimming for timing and fuel, not to mention others like flex fuel capability, fuel pump PWM controls, anti lag, rolling anti lag, staging controls, it goes on and on...
Old 12-25-2014, 12:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

the modern stuff also has boost by speed or gear and traction control capabilities that really help the car hook

integrated transmission control and control of other power adders such as meth or nitrous under one computer with safe guards such as

lack of oil pressure, cut timing

high EGT dump boost

low fuel pressure, dump boost

and of course the wide band fuel corrections

I'm looking forward to learning more as the new systems are amazing.
Old 12-25-2014, 12:16 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by rkreigh

I'm looking forward to learning more as the new systems are amazing.
Thing is..some systems have had most of these things for years....and many still dont have all, or even some of them.
Old 12-25-2014, 12:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 31 Likes on 13 Posts

Proefi ftw !!!
Old 12-25-2014, 12:49 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by ws602
Proefi ftw !!!
It does get many good reports too.
Old 12-25-2014, 01:09 PM
TECH Addict

I was looking at the Hollet HP, or possibly the Dominator. Any opinions on them or others in that price range?
Old 12-25-2014, 01:11 PM
8 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Dominator all the way. Proefi and HPT can't hold a candle to the ease of use for rookies like myself. I mean the advantages and features to a system like the dominator are endless.
Old 12-25-2014, 01:32 PM
9 Second Club

If ease of use, but that ease of use restricts actual control options...that isnt an advantage, it's a negative.

Depends what the end goal is. Functionality, or ease of use because you'll either never need full functionality, or will never seek professional help, or actually learn how to work the system to its best.

As for the Holley HP or Dominator....I would always try and go for the more featured version where possible and where funds permit. Unless the HP can be upgraded at a later date.

That said, used units will almost always hold a good resale value if you wished to sell to upgrade to the Dominator at a later date

From a non user point of view, the biggest downsides I see about the ProEFI are the fact it does not have onboard logging and it's bloody massive.
But you can add a logger for another few hundred dollars. Just seems crazy not to have such an important feature onboard.

Logging on the Holley seems pretty good with lots of memory, but from limited use the viewing software is very poor compared to the likes of what Motec of Syvecs offer.
Old 12-25-2014, 01:52 PM
8 Second Club

If ease of use, but that ease of use restricts actual control options...that isnt an advantage, it's a negative. Depends what the end goal is. Functionality, or ease of use because you'll either never need full functionality, or will never seek professional help, or actually learn how to work the system to its best. As for the Holley HP or Dominator....I would always try and go for the more featured version where possible and where funds permit. Unless the HP can be upgraded at a later date. That said, used units will almost always hold a good resale value if you wished to sell to upgrade to the Dominator at a later date From a non user point of view, the biggest downsides I see about the ProEFI are the fact it does not have onboard logging and it's bloody massive. But you can add a logger for another few hundred dollars. Just seems crazy not to have such an important feature onboard. Logging on the Holley seems pretty good with lots of memory, but from limited use the viewing software is very poor compared to the likes of what Motec of Syvecs offer.
Just becuase something is easy to navigate doesn't make it less capable or negative. For anyone looking to learn about their car and what is actually going on the dominator is awesome. Also the dataloging capabilities of the dominator are awesome and just plain simple to operate. I've navigated all three and the dominator gets my vote
Old 12-25-2014, 01:59 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by oscs
Just becuase something is easy to navigate doesn't make it less capable or negative. For anyone looking to learn about their car and what is actually going on the dominator is awesome. Also the dataloging capabilities of the dominator are awesome and just plain simple to operate. I've navigated all three and the dominator gets my vote
It is less capable because there arent the control options in place. I've viewed the software quite a few times and there are many many areas where other systems far excel what it offers.

And it is because the software is so simplistic, they havent given users any option, or Holley just arent offering or releasing the full potential of what some ecu's do offer.
I'm saying it is easy to navigate, because in some ways it isnt. I'm just saying almost all aspects are dumbed down over what a proper race ecu like a Motec or Syvecs and many others are.

It is still a very good system, and at the price still not mega expensive, but that simplicity does restrict.
Old 12-25-2014, 02:14 PM
8 Second Club

It is less capable because there arent the control options in place. I've viewed the software quite a few times and there are many many areas where other systems far excel what it offers. And it is because the software is so simplistic, they havent given users any option, or Holley just arent offering or releasing the full potential of what some ecu's do offer. I'm saying it is easy to navigate, because in some ways it isnt. I'm just saying almost all aspects are dumbed down over what a proper race ecu like a Motec or Syvecs and many others are. It is still a very good system, and at the price still not mega expensive, but that simplicity does restrict.
I should have said the system was catered to be user friendly, that doesn't make it inferior. If you want to build a 3000HP dedicated drag car than yes there are probably better options.

Quick Reply: Over 1K+ rwhp...when did you go aftermarket ecu?