Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Exhaust wrapping

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2015, 07:41 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 230 Likes on 162 Posts

Default Exhaust wrapping

I will be wrapping my 4" exhaust, turbo to down under the car
I painted it with the Eastwood header paint, and like most coatings, it will burn some after startup (under boost prob burn more, lol)
Anyway, I thought of doing an int. startup w/o wrap, then pull it and wrap
What do you guys do-I wasn't sure what would happen if I just wrapped it first and let it go, or does it matter
Old 01-10-2015, 07:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got th DEI titanium wrap and made a post about it th other day regarding th same questions.. Only reply I got was with the titanium it goes on dry and uses no type of silicone spray afterwardS.. I hope to start car in next few weeks so I could let you know something then.
Old 01-10-2015, 10:50 AM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the DEI on my car. First, let me say that the product works awesome! Underhood temps are drastically reduced. As far as putting it on goes, I did it dry. Make sure to wear gloves, and then just keep it pulled tight as you can when you are wrapping the pipe.

Last edited by 93camaro_zzz; 01-14-2015 at 05:02 PM.
Old 01-10-2015, 12:04 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the DEI wrap works awesome, we put on dry and it really doesn't matter when you put it on. If we do use it its usually right off the bat. but we've also put it on after a few miles.
Old 01-10-2015, 01:02 PM
8 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've used DEI and the eBay competitor. Besides the thickness of the wrap they are damn near identical IMO. I've installed dry and wet. Don't waste your time soaking it, it goes on fine dry. The key is making sure it is very tight. Mine are usually so tight I only use one clamp (at the end of the wrap.) Be warned it will smoke and smoke a lot. It also has a funny smell that lasts a while. Most cars I've done it takes a weeks worth of spirited/normal driving to burn off residual.

Do your best to wrap your pipes once. The more you take the wrap on and off after a lot of heat cycles the more frail it becomes. The stuff wasn't designed to be removed regularly after it's been on a while.
Old 01-10-2015, 01:56 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 230 Likes on 162 Posts

Cool-I didn't know if the paint underneath would be a problem to the wrap on int. start up, doesn't sound like it
Old 01-10-2015, 02:07 PM
9 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My pipes had be coated and I wrapped it with Dei titanium without having an issue
Old 01-10-2015, 03:15 PM
8 Second Club

Received 698 Likes on 439 Posts

I painted with BBQ paint. Then wrapped with the DEI titanium.

Didn't smoke bad at all. And after a year it all looks excellent.

Painted the turbine housing too. Still looks good as well. No blanket even.
Old 01-10-2015, 03:35 PM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by RonSSNova
I painted with BBQ paint. Then wrapped with the DEI titanium. Didn't smoke bad at all. And after a year it all looks excellent. Painted the turbine housing too. Still looks good as well. No blanket even.
My 280 and F-250 smoked like a freight train for days.. I didn't use paint though.
Old 01-10-2015, 04:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No paint here either.
Old 01-12-2015, 01:49 PM
8 Second Club

Received 676 Likes on 499 Posts

Originally Posted by RonSSNova
I painted with BBQ paint. Then wrapped with the DEI titanium.

Didn't smoke bad at all. And after a year it all looks excellent.

Painted the turbine housing too. Still looks good as well. No blanket even.
I do the same... .040 SS safety wire works great to secure things cheaply without rusting. I used the cheap Ebay wrap. Worked great.

I also spray everything down with BBQ grill paint after wrapping. This helps seal it against moisture/oil etc... I do run a cheap china blanket over my turbo housing as well, but the BBQ grill paint still holds up very well.
Old 01-12-2015, 02:18 PM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by Forcefed86
I do the same... .040 SS safety wire works great to secure things cheaply without rusting. I used the cheap Ebay wrap. Worked great. I also spray everything down with BBQ grill paint after wrapping. This helps seal it against moisture/oil etc... I do run a cheap china blanket over my turbo housing as well, but the BBQ grill paint still holds up very well.

That SS wire is good idea. Do you just twist it to get it tight? I've been using oversized hose clamps and SS "zip ties" Pain in the ***.
Old 01-12-2015, 03:15 PM
8 Second Club

Received 676 Likes on 499 Posts

Originally Posted by oscs
That SS wire is good idea. Do you just twist it to get it tight? I've been using oversized hose clamps and SS "zip ties" Pain in the ***.
The SS ziptie deals are total crap that I've worked with. The .040 SS is strong.(probably overkill) I use a set of aircraft safety wire pliers to get it really tight. I'll overlap with a big X in some areas before pulling it tight. Harbor freight sells safety wire pliers and SS wire that will work ok. Utube videos out there for those not familiar with using the pliers.

If you look close you can see it in the pic below. After I repaint it hides it well. I believe that was some .030 I had laying around.

Went a little overboard on the starter.

Old 01-12-2015, 03:45 PM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by Forcefed86
The SS ziptie deals are total crap that I've worked with. The .040 SS is strong.(probably overkill) I use a set of aircraft safety wire pliers to get it really tight. I'll overlap with a big X in some areas before pulling it tight. Harbor freight sells safety wire pliers and SS wire that will work ok. Utube videos out there for those not familiar with using the pliers. If you look close you can see it in the pic below. After I repaint it hides it well. I believe that was some .030 I had laying around. Went a little overboard on the starter.
Perfect, thanks for the pics. You just saved me a few hours a month.
Old 01-13-2015, 09:35 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cheap and effective solution.....thanks for the idea. I have access to a ton of this stuff but never thought to use it to tie the wrap over the manifold.
Old 01-13-2015, 09:39 AM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by 2muchboostNY
Cheap and effective solution.....thanks for the idea. I have access to a ton of this stuff but never thought to use it to tie the wrap over the manifold.
Agreed
Old 01-14-2015, 05:03 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I remember mine smoked pretty bad also. Probably for the first 15 mins, then it was done. I had just completed the entire build though, so maybe some of it could have been other products/oil.

Quick Reply: Exhaust wrapping