Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Cam choice 370ci turbo car

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2015, 07:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Cam choice 370ci turbo car

Hey yall I need some help with the cam Im going to run in my car. Motor is a 370cui LQ9 and the turbo is a Borg Warner s480 t6. I want to make as much power as I can so it doesnt have to be tame. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Chris
Old 02-09-2015, 07:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Try also posting in the Forced Induction section.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-induction-9/
Old 02-09-2015, 09:21 PM
TECH Regular

email martin @ tick
Old 02-10-2015, 01:32 PM
Launching!

Yepp, email Martin, he's very helpful and will work with all your needs!
Old 02-11-2015, 06:13 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A 3rd on email martin. However if you just generally want a good turbo cam, his shelf grinds are very good.
Old 02-11-2015, 10:03 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 93camaro_zzz
A 3rd on email martin. However if you just generally want a good turbo cam, his shelf grinds are very good.
I believe that he usually suggests them for cookie cutter builds like this
Old 02-11-2015, 10:08 PM
Launching!

The benefits to having a custom ground cam is it's geared towards your use and needs, but a shelf grind will do great too!
Old 02-11-2015, 10:30 PM
10 Second Club

If you want as much power as possible call john Bewley of lil john Motorsports solutions and have him spec out a hydraulic roller for you then have Kip at cam motion convert the specs to his low lash solid roller. That will gain you as much power as possible
Old 02-12-2015, 03:00 PM
FormerVendor

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by high impact
If you want as much power as possible call john Bewley of lil john Motorsports solutions and have him spec out a hydraulic roller for you then have Kip at cam motion convert the specs to his low lash solid roller. That will gain you as much power as possible
Please don't take this the wrong way, but I think it's very poor ethics to call someone who is as busy as John is just to ask them what he would spec for their combo with the intention of never purchasing said cam from him. Only to then call another company to give them John's specs and give that person their business.

Not something I'd personally do or recommend. I'll probably get jumped on for even saying it, but I felt it needed to be said.

OP, there are many low lash solid roller lobes out there that will work in a "low lash" application. Any cam company or any person who grinds camshafts should have the ability to spec you one out if that is what you wish to do.
Old 02-12-2015, 10:05 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Martin@Tick
Please don't take this the wrong way, but I think it's very poor ethics to call someone who is as busy as John is just to ask them what he would spec for their combo with the intention of never purchasing said cam from him. Only to then call another company to give them John's specs and give that person their business.

Not something I'd personally do or recommend. I'll probably get jumped on for even saying it, but I felt it needed to be said.

OP, there are many low lash solid roller lobes out there that will work in a "low lash" application. Any cam company or any person who grinds camshafts should have the ability to spec you one out if that is what you wish to do.

Wow! How dare you insinuate that I am of such defective character without sending me a PM and asking if I paid John for specing my cam and seeking agreement from Kip to do such a thing Martin. John was paid for his knowledge and all parties were completely aware and in agreement.
Old 02-12-2015, 11:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

How dare lol. If i ask martin to spec me a cam he is going to make it. If i had asked john id have had him do it. Seems like a legit thing to say from Martin.
Old 02-13-2015, 12:13 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by ZGLASS
How dare lol. If i ask martin to spec me a cam he is going to make it. If i had asked john id have had him do it. Seems like a legit thing to say from Martin.
Yes, "how dare", Martin's comment may be somewhat of a legit comment if my character wasn't challenged as being unethical. Feel free to question my advice above and again, how dare you insinuate I posses fractured character? I didn't request free specs and then run somewhere else to get the cam made as suggested. Ridiculous. As I stated, John was paid well for his services and both parties were well aware and permission requested. Now, who the heck are you to jump in and weigh in without knowing any of the circumstances? I never suggested for john not to get paid and I recommend the cam motion low lash roller for specific reasons.
Old 02-13-2015, 06:52 AM
FormerVendor

Where did you ever say that you yourself did that?

You didn't. You told the original poster to do that and never once mentioned what you just did in your last post.

Maybe, just maybe you should of mentioned that when you said what you did because that's how it came off.

I see you took personal offense which I asked you not to as I never questioned your character and I apologize for that.

You can't see how your post would come across? Not from your perspective, but from the outside looking in.
Old 02-13-2015, 07:43 AM
10 Second Club

No Martin, don't change your words now...you said "don't take this the wrong way" then immediately attacked my ethics, without any further clarification. I took it exactly as you intended it. I did NOT recommend the OP call john and waste his time then steal his specs and use someone else like you are insinuating. It seems to me that you may have taken personal offense that I didn't mention you and attacked my character in retribution. Notice I mentioned nothing of you, I didn't attack you and say "don't call Martin since he is unethical" but that is what you did to me, on an Internet forum with limited information and communication you did nothing to clarify. I am clearly not offended but will no longer sit quietly by when my character is attacked. I am pretty certain you don't remember but I did call and speak with you concerning my build, didn't care for the advice and high pressure attempt at parts sales so I moved along...quietly. I didn't bash and I didn't make public my experience in dealing with you. Please, to clear things up, point out for me where I recommended the OP get free specs from john (as you accused) and then use someone else to grind a cam and spend money elsewhere unethically ripping john off. Better yet, call me so we can clarify your misunderstanding so as not to destroy the OP's thread anymore then it already has.

I'm not interested propagating drama and my deepest apologies to the OP for his thread being pirated. I have sent an email with my mobile number directly to Martin so this can be taken out of your thread and into the private area where it should be.
Old 02-13-2015, 08:16 AM
TECH Apprentice

Never seen anyone get so upset as you just did over almost nothing. Martin and I both read it the same way. Word it as pay john for his cam expertise then use your guy to cut it. Would have sounded better. Martin and john get hit up daily for advise. Then they turn around and use someone else. I talk to both all the time. I ask them questions and the lest I can do is use them when the time comes to buy the things I can from them.
Old 02-13-2015, 08:21 AM
TECH Regular

No Martin, don't change your words now...you said "don't take this the wrong way" then immediately attacked my ethics, without any further clarification. I took it exactly as you intended it. I did NOT recommend the OP call john and waste his time then steal his specs and use someone else like you are insinuating. It seems to me that you may have taken personal offense that I didn't mention you and attacked my character in retribution. Notice I mentioned nothing of you, I didn't attack you and say "don't call Martin since he is unethical" but that is what you did to me, on an Internet forum with limited information and communication you did nothing to clarify. I am clearly not offended but will no longer sit quietly by when my character is attacked. I am pretty certain you don't remember but I did call and speak with you concerning my build, didn't care for the advice and high pressure attempt at parts sales so I moved along...quietly. I didn't bash and I didn't make public my experience in dealing with you. Please, to clear things up, point out for me where I recommended the OP get free specs from john (as you accused) and then use someone else to grind a cam and spend money elsewhere unethically ripping john off. Better yet, call me so we can clarify your misunderstanding so as not to destroy the OP's thread anymore then it already has.

I'm not interested propagating drama and my deepest apologies to the OP for his thread being pirated. I have sent an email with my mobile number directly to Martin so this can be taken out of your thread and into the private area where it should be.
Your post came off the same way to me. Don't get your panties in a bunch. Martin just said that it would be unethical to do what your post implied, he didn't accuse you of doing it.

Damn people are sensitive these days

OP- There are a ton of people who can spec a cam for you LJMS and Martin just being two who are praised for their good results. The only thing that i will suggest is that you stick with whatever plan you had when you had the cam specd as switching heads/turbo/intake/etc can change how the cam would have been specd. We all love changing parts of builds half way through haha.
Old 02-13-2015, 08:27 AM
FormerVendor

I attempted to respond to your email, but it keeps being returned in error to my inbox.

I think we are done with this conversation. I never attacked you anywhere, and clearly others saw it the exact same way that I did.

You are blowing this way out of proportion and now resorting to attacking me by saying I attempted to pressure you into purchasing parts and that I am upset you didn't mention using me for a cam.

Yes I remember you calling and speaking to me about buying a cam and I appreciate that. I don't remember attempting to pressure you into purchasing parts and I felt I gave you great advice as to what to do with your build.

This is doing nothing to further the original posters thread.

Originally Posted by F110Mech
Your post came off the same way to me. Don't get your panties in a bunch. Martin just said that it would be unethical to do what your post implied, he didn't accuse you of doing it.
This was my intention with my post.
Old 02-13-2015, 09:06 AM
10 Second Club

You have the availability to get a hold of me if you choose...
Old 02-13-2015, 11:56 AM
11 Second Club

I agree with Martin.
Old 02-13-2015, 12:16 PM
Launching!

I for one applaud Martin for asking people to be fair and not take advantage of free advice from one of his BIGGEST COMPETITORS. Not many people would protest injustice (whether intended or not) done to the competition.

You have to understand the context. People like Martin and John spend LOTS of time helping this community for no charge. Very often people call them, get as much information as possible, and take that info down the road to someone who will do it for a buck cheaper. The post in question made it sound like that was being recommended. I am glad to hear that was not the poster's intention.

Jack

Quick Reply: Cam choice 370ci turbo car