Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

e85 or methanol??

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2015, 04:14 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default e85 or methanol??

In the process of rebuilding my 6.0, any be wanting to get away from 93 so was debating on switching over
I have a .30 over 6.0 with a s475, ls6 intake, air to water intercooler, wiseco pistons, stock crank, and so on. This is going in my mud truck.
Was going to just put it on e85 but would have to drive an hour one way to nearest fuel station to get it, when I can get methanol a lot closer to home.
Is there a limit on the power e85 can make? How much more would it be to put it on methanol, like fuel pump and injectors? Im at a lost right now and would love to hear what others have done, just trying not to have to do things twice. I know either way going to need bigger injectors and more pump then what I have now.
Old 02-25-2015, 04:21 PM
8 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Unless your going to get E85 with a 55 gallon drum i would just stick with 93.. What is your beef with 93?
Old 02-25-2015, 07:26 PM
Restricted User

Received 107 Likes on 89 Posts

Methanol requires much bigger injectors and fuel pump.

Odds are, 93 will get the job done.
Old 02-25-2015, 08:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JoeNova
Methanol requires much bigger injectors and fuel pump.

Odds are, 93 will get the job done.
*E85 requires much bigger injectors and fuel pump
Old 02-25-2015, 10:18 PM
Staging Lane

I would bring two 55gal drums to get e85 to make it worth the drive
Just don't want to make to much power for 93, don't want to go to race fuel, plus e85 is cheaper
Old 02-25-2015, 11:08 PM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by 66Chevellelq4
*E85 requires much bigger injectors and fuel pump
E85 requires roughly 35% more fuel than gasoline. In a typical setup, most people have enough of a safety margin on pumps or injectors that they can convert to E85 without need for a total overhaul.

Methanol uses 100% more fuel than gasoline. 80 LB injectors will get you 1000 HP at 100% duty cycle with 60 or so PSI of base pressure and a big pump. On methanol, you'd be topping out 160 lb injectors at the same power, and you'd need one hell of a pump to do it, since you'd need a pump capable of 2000 HP with gasoline in a forced induction scenario, that could also withstand the corrosion of methanol. So yes, there is a very big difference between E85 and methanol.

To make matters worse, in order to use the advantages of methanol, you'd need to be well over 1000 HP on a V8, so you begin diving into the world of 200+ lb injectors and belt or cable driven fuel pumps.

Pun, you can make huge power on 93 octane. Since its available pretty much everywhere, there isn't much reason to put yourself through the hassle of converting to E85.
Old 02-26-2015, 08:21 AM
Teching In

Pun, you can make huge power on 93 octane. Since its available pretty much everywhere, there isn't much reason to put yourself through the hassle of converting to E85.

At least in my general area (150mi radius), 93 octane is non-existent. Several years back, it was at every pump around here though...

E85 is available at most gas stations around here, with a few even selling E100.

That's why my car is being built for E85 vs 91oct that's available around here.
Old 02-26-2015, 11:39 AM
8 Second Club

Received 731 Likes on 536 Posts

Methanol injection and pump gas is the easiest IMO.

E30 and E50 are good options as well and aren't as demanding fuel system wise as E85.
Old 02-26-2015, 03:01 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Methanol needs purged with gasoline after every race or it will clog your injectors FAST

Did anyone tell you how good E85 smells? You pull in the garage and just want to keep the engine on for a little bit! Lol
Old 02-26-2015, 03:57 PM
8 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by adrynalinjunkie
Methanol needs purged with gasoline after every race or it will clog your injectors FAST Did anyone tell you how good E85 smells? You pull in the garage and just want to keep the engine on for a little bit! Lol

E85 does not need to be "purged" if you have the appropriate injectors. C16 should be purged with gasoline becuase of its corrosiveness.
Old 02-27-2015, 06:47 AM
Staging Lane

Ok so seems I'm jumping the gun a little, I've just been told that I was getting close to the edge from having to run race fuel, which I rather just go to e85
Right now I hace 72lb injectors and a aeromoitve a1000
I was planning on slowly replacing everything, 120lb injectors, magnafuel 4303, -10 feed and -8 return
Old 04-08-2015, 11:21 AM
On The Tree

Just hopping in here as someone had suggested i maybe ditch the large A2W IC and it's associated pluming etc on my build since it's a dedicated drag car so i'm just now starting to consider it and doing research now as i've run E85 for many years but have never tried out 100% Methanol?

Just a couple things from my experience with Ethanol based fuels

1 - Since my cars sit after races for some time i don't necessarily purge the system for fear of injectors clogging but more so due to the fact that since Ethanol is hygroscopic it attracts water so as preventative maintenance i do drain my E85 out and always fill with fresh fuel next outting even though i know of others that have had no ill effects letting it sit for some time.

2 - On that same note i ran FIC (Fuel Injector Clinic) 2150cc injs and they strongly rec'd to "pickle" their injectors after using Ethanol fuels if they would sit w/o use for an extended perioed of time so that the internal components don't rust and cause injectors to stick (they bascially have you hook up a power source to the inj so you can pulse them while squirting some lubricant like wd40 in them and them sealing them in a plastic baggie

My new fuel set-up is a belt driven Aeromotive pump so i think i have the proper pump to go 100% Methanol but not sure if i should make the jump or not???

I'd assume i could easily sell the PT3000 A2W IC and 5 gall tank to fund the larger injectors needed and it will def drop a bunch of weight and less plumbing in and out of the engine bay......
Old 04-09-2015, 11:33 AM
On The Tree

So many fallacies in this post.......

If you use real, filtered methanol you will not have any corrosion issues if you use good line and AN fittings, not the dollar store versions.

I am not sure where you came up with the myth of needing to be over 1000hp to benefit from methanol but you couldn't be further from the truth.
With methanol you gain in power, you have a way larger tuning window with your timing, it runs cooler, you do not need a radiator or cooling system in a typical drag race application, you save all the weight of the intercooler & associated piping and it is $190 per drum VS C16 that is over $900 per drum.
You will use 75 to 80% more but the cost to run is still way lower than a comparable power level on race gas not to mention that it is way closer to obtain.

For your power level and application I see zero reason for not to use methanol.
E85 requires roughly 35% more fuel than gasoline. In a typical setup, most people have enough of a safety margin on pumps or injectors that they can convert to E85 without need for a total overhaul.

Methanol uses 100% more fuel than gasoline. 80 LB injectors will get you 1000 HP at 100% duty cycle with 60 or so PSI of base pressure and a big pump. On methanol, you'd be topping out 160 lb injectors at the same power, and you'd need one hell of a pump to do it, since you'd need a pump capable of 2000 HP with gasoline in a forced induction scenario, that could also withstand the corrosion of methanol. So yes, there is a very big difference between E85 and methanol.

To make matters worse, in order to use the advantages of methanol, you'd need to be well over 1000 HP on a V8, so you begin diving into the world of 200+ lb injectors and belt or cable driven fuel pumps.

Old 04-09-2015, 12:03 PM
8 Second Club

Received 731 Likes on 536 Posts

I agree mostly. While the fuel system and injectors may be compatible with methanol, they are not compatible with water. From what I’ve seen water is the biggest issue with methanol. Both in the fuel and oil systems. Tune richness and engine operating temp ranges play a huge roll. Preheating the oil/block, dual fuel systems, capping off the vents before and after every run are all good practices… but nothing can completely eliminates water contamination or the moisture producing environment caused by methanol fueled engines.

Dual fuel setup is your best bet, even with a 100% track car IMO. You can idle and cruise the pits on pump gas and get your temps up to clear the moisture from the oil. Seen a few methanol guys with the “Rons Flying Toilet”. They sell and additional kit you can install that uses pump gas for startup/idle/pit cruising. Works really well!
Old 04-09-2015, 01:30 PM
Launching!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I think most of the confusion in this thread is some are referring to running straight methanol as the sole fuel source and others are talking about spraying meth on top of 93. Bottom line is for your E85 availability spraying meth on top of 93 is probably your best bet for your goals vs. E85 or running straight meth.
Old 04-10-2015, 09:45 AM
On The Tree

My car will not see the street and i'd honestly like to keep things as simple as possible so i'd prefer to stay away from running dual fuel systems so if just 1 set of injectors to support my hp goals (1300-1500whp) what would you rec'd?

Also will my Aeromotive (red) belt driven pump be sufficient for that?

This is using 100% methanol as fuel only!
Old 04-10-2015, 07:38 PM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by DHR Darren
So many fallacies in this post.......

If you use real, filtered methanol you will not have any corrosion issues if you use good line and AN fittings, not the dollar store versions.

I am not sure where you came up with the myth of needing to be over 1000hp to benefit from methanol but you couldn't be further from the truth.
With methanol you gain in power, you have a way larger tuning window with your timing, it runs cooler, you do not need a radiator or cooling system in a typical drag race application, you save all the weight of the intercooler & associated piping and it is $190 per drum VS C16 that is over $900 per drum.
You will use 75 to 80% more but the cost to run is still way lower than a comparable power level on race gas not to mention that it is way closer to obtain.

For your power level and application I see zero reason for not to use methanol.
Apples to Oranges. He's building a mud truck, not a drag car. For his goals, pump gas and methanol injection are great, E85 is even better. There isn't a great deal of benefit switching over to methanol at this point when you weigh out the benefits vs the cost and effort involved compared to a pump gas or E85 combo. Unless he is making big power and already in need to switching to a more capable fuel, then it isn't necessary. The 1000 HP figure is in relation to a good gas or E85 combo. Switching to methanol in a mild setup isn't typically worth the effort.

Quick Reply: e85 or methanol??