Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Building my own meth tank. What do I need for the corrosion?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2015, 11:09 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Building my own meth tank. What do I need for the corrosion?

So, my turbo kit is friggin' huge. I have got it to fit, but at the expense of moving a LOT of other things. I knew I would need to move my radiator forward and had planned on it. I was using my factory windshield washer tank as my meth tank for my meth injection. Unfortunately the radiator now needs to be pushed so far forward to allow the turbo to fit that I can no longer use the factory WW tank.

I also have had to relocated my battery to the rear of the car in the cubby in the hatch, so that location is already being used (I could fit it, but I don't like the idea of my meth tank and the battery in the same closed location).

There is a spot for it under the hood, but it will be close to my downpipe (bad idea given the low boiling point of meth and how hot the downpipe will get even being wrapped).

I am basically left with one location up front under the drivers side of the bumper. Its not very wide, but it is a decent length (if I had a nickel). I really want bare minimum of a gallon meth tank so I am not always filling the thing. I have not been able to find a tank that is currently made that fits the space I have to work with. So, I am left with considering how to make my own meth tank. What I need to know is what materials can I use? I am running a 50:50 water meth mix, so I know its not super corrosive, but it is still mildly corrosive and don't want my tank eating away at itself.

Will any plastic tank work? Or does the plastic need to contain a certain substance? What if I made the tank out of metal? Would I need to use stainless steel? Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Old 06-20-2015, 07:05 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 70 Likes on 62 Posts

Where is the pump located?
Tank should not be below the pump intake.
Old 06-20-2015, 09:08 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Old Geezer
Where is the pump located?
Tank should not be below the pump intake.

Here is my meth pump location. FWIW, my previous tank sat lower than this pump. I'm not sure why it would make a difference if the pump intake is higher than the drain line from the tank. The pump will suck the fluid whether it is against gravity or not. This was proven given my previous setup had that and it worked fine for years.

This picture also shows the placement area of the new tank in question. In between the intercooler pipe and the meth pump is the area I have to work with.

I've got about 6" between the two, and could go as deep as 6", and about 12" tall.

My thoughts so far;

If I can find a plastic tank that fits this area, I could plumb it for the low level sensor, the drain, and the filling tube on top. Plastic would be cheaper, lighter, and easier to work with than metal. The bad side is I would need to find a tank that I know won't corrode, and one that fits as much of that area as possible to give me as much fluid quantity as possible and it's hard finding all of that. On top of that, I will be at the mercy of the tank size it is. I can't mold my own plastic, so the dimensions are the dimensions.

If I went metal; I could fabricate the exact size I want/need allowing for proper placement, max quantity, and installation. Metal is more difficult to work with, but I have a welder and can do both steel and stainless steel. It weighs more and will likely cost more and take more time to fabricate from scratch though.

I like the idea of a plastic tank better, but the fitment of a metal one.

Still looking for more info from anyone on all this.
Old 06-20-2015, 12:11 PM
Restricted User

Received 104 Likes on 87 Posts

Go to the junkyard, find a windshield washer fluid bottle. Put a fitting in the bottom for a sump. Quick, cheap, and lots of fitment options to choose from.
Old 06-20-2015, 01:38 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by JoeNova
Go to the junkyard, find a windshield washer fluid bottle. Put a fitting in the bottom for a sump. Quick, cheap, and lots of fitment options to choose from.
Are you talking about the container the washer fluid comes in from the store? If so, I know the container would not corrode, but I doubt the jug would hold up to countless hard acceleration pulls even if the mount was very supportive.

If you were talking about a factory windshield washer reservoir taken from a different vehicle from the junk yard, that is a good idea in itself, but most of the washer tanks I have seen in other cars do not fit the shape of what I have available. But, its worth looking, and I'll give that a shot.
Old 06-20-2015, 04:48 PM
9 Second Club

Received 179 Likes on 154 Posts

Not just stick the tank in the trunk ?

And the pumps prime anyway, so the pump can be any height relative to the tank. But if higher a check valve is needed so it wont syphon dry.

Alcohol Injection Systems makes some very nice tanks
Old 06-20-2015, 06:13 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by stevieturbo
Not just stick the tank in the trunk ?

And the pumps prime anyway, so the pump can be any height relative to the tank. But if higher a check valve is needed so it wont syphon dry.

Alcohol Injection Systems makes some very nice tanks
As mentioned earlier, there's only one spot in my hatch area I could fit a tank, and my battery is already back there. I "could" do that, but I'd rather keep it as a last resort, as I don't like the idea of keeping my meth tank in the same closed cavity as my battery.
Old 06-23-2015, 10:26 AM
TECH Regular

Alright, so in searching the last few days, I have found small tanks that will fit, but I am concerned with running out of fluid quickly with the smaller tanks, which leads me to creating my own tank.

I have found that a 6" pipe 12" long will hold just under 1.5 gallons. I only have about 10" to work with, but it should still be easily over a gallon in volume and being a pipe, should be simple and somewhat inexpensive to fabricate.

From the searching I have done, it seems PVC is methanol friendly (please someone correct me if I am mistaken). That would be a good start. I can drill and tap the low level sensor and drain for it, and then figure some kind of barb for the top for a fill line to a cap.

Kind of PITA, but I think its what I am left with at this point.
Old 06-23-2015, 10:29 AM
Man-Crush Warning

Received 119 Likes on 88 Posts

PVC also does not like heat or shocks to it.

And or, would the epoxy used to seal up piping tolerate meth?
Old 06-23-2015, 05:14 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Shownomercy
PVC also does not like heat or shocks to it.

And or, would the epoxy used to seal up piping tolerate meth?
Heat would not be a problem, as it will be tucked away under the bumper away from all the hot piping. Shock on the other hand, you may have a valid point. If I can make a mount rigid enough for it, then perhaps, but I'm not sure yet how I plan on making a mount. The epoxy side I actually have covered. "Goop" is a rubber cement type sealant that is 100% methanol safe. I have used it before in sealing up my meth nozzle and it does not corrode and does an excellent job at sealing and holding.

Perhaps a plastic pipe would be better if I could find one. Metal would be my last choice, but it is do-able.
Old 06-25-2015, 02:19 PM
TECH Regular

So, I went to Menards and got started on things. lol, they only sell 6" PVC in 10' sections (I only needed 10").

Got some PVC caps and some nylon fittings for the filler and the drain. Did a test fit. Seems like the tank will actually fit perfectly if I angle it. What a PITA.

Anyways, I can make it work, it will just be a matter of a bit of time. I was able to bend some steel around the pipe and it holds it tight. Should be even tighter once I fit insulation inside the steel in between it and the PVC to give it a little cushion.

The PVC fits TIGHT, but I sealed it with the meth safe "plumbers Goop" just to be sure. I ordered a low fluid sensor and wiring harness online, and both of them are on their way. Once I get them, I'll drill a hole and goop it in also. Gonna take a little while to get it finished, but I'll post more as it goes.
Old 06-25-2015, 02:35 PM
Man-Crush Warning

Received 119 Likes on 88 Posts

Looks pretty cool!

Back in my days of building air cannons, people used to finish up the chambers, and then seal em with fiberglass as added shock/burst protection. Probably entirely overkill for you though
Old 06-25-2015, 06:11 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Shownomercy
Looks pretty cool!

Back in my days of building air cannons, people used to finish up the chambers, and then seal em with fiberglass as added shock/burst protection. Probably entirely overkill for you though
Well, you mentioning how brittle the PVC can get has me a little concerned. Making a rigid mount will be important, although I will say the 6" PVC is pretty dark thick, and it would likely take a big hit to break it.

After looking more closely, I think I may end up putting it on the passenger side under the bumper.
Old 06-25-2015, 06:53 PM
9 Second Club

Received 179 Likes on 154 Posts

There are dozens of small windshield washer tanks you could maybe use.

Or if space really is tight, use a flexible bag type ?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/65-66-Mustang-Windshield-Washer-Bag-w-correct-FoMoCo-/190561866714?hash=item2c5e5f53da&vxp=mtr
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Studebaker-Studebaker-Avanti-Avanti-Windshield-Washer-Bag-/221806139322?hash=item33a4ad17ba&vxp=mtr
Old 06-25-2015, 08:59 PM
TECH Regular

I looked at probably 100 different random vehicle washer tanks online for 2 days straight. I found a couple that would fit the space, but they were a gallon or less in quantity, and as previously stated, I am looking for more than a gallon as I don't want to be filling it constantly. The bag idea i had not though of before. I probably could do a bag, but I doubt the thing would last if I found a 1.5 gallon one, found a good place to mount it and then let it see full throttle on slicks with it being jerked around with that much force on a regular basis. I would feel safer with the PVC.

The PVC was really the last option I found that worked for the criteria I wanted. The PVC will end up holding around 1.4 gallons, and have found a rigid way of mounting it.
Old 06-27-2015, 12:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

lol gonna be interesting
Old 06-27-2015, 03:44 PM
TECH Regular

I found that even though there was a spot on the drivers side corner bumper, there was more space (less crowded) on the passenger side corner bumper in front of the coolant reservoir.

Shouldn't be too hard to make a rigid mount. I am just waiting on the low level fluid sensors I bought from eBay to arrive, then I can finish plumbing everything in the tank and start working on getting the mount made.
Old 07-02-2015, 09:06 PM
TECH Regular

Did some more work today. Got the tank mounted up where I want it. It is not going anywhere, and it fits well and is hidden here on the passenger side. I'm letting the plumbers "goop" dry for 48 hours, then I'm gonna try filling it to check for leaks.

This was kind of a PITA, but I think I am going to be happy with the result.
Old 07-02-2015, 09:44 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm hoping this works out for you. If it works, I can get any size pcv to also make a tank.
Old 07-03-2015, 04:58 AM
TECH Regular

It should be fine. Biggest things are to keep it away from hot exhaust components, make a rigid mount so it will not move or flex, and to use the right sealant that won't corrode or leak.

Quick Reply: Building my own meth tank. What do I need for the corrosion?