Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Yoke engagement question

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2015, 02:45 PM
8 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Yoke engagement question

Anyone see a problem with the amount of engagement here? The mark closest to the u joint down to the input end marks how much is engaged on the output shaft of the trans. That leaves a little less than half of the slip yoke "non engaged" the car has solid motor mounts and a rubber trans mount.

I can always extend the driveshaft but this is what I got after trans swap.
Attached Thumbnails Yoke engagement question-photo347.jpg  

Last edited by oscs; 06-21-2015 at 04:14 PM.
Old 06-21-2015, 03:18 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I normally shoot for about 3/4 inch from being fully in with the car on the ground. Did you check it in the air and the rear hanging? If so put a jack under the rear and get weight on the springs.
Old 06-21-2015, 03:23 PM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by Taxman20
I normally shoot for about 3/4 inch from being fully in with the car on the ground. Did you check it in the air and the rear hanging? If so put a jack under the rear and get weight on the springs.
Car was in the air with rear suspension hanging when this "measurement" was taken. This is an IRS car so compressing the suspension won't change anything. The mark actually represents where the seal is. It's probably very close to half way engagement.
Old 06-21-2015, 03:59 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok, I see. Yea your rear center section stays where it is. Depending on the power you are making, you should be ok. Its not going to move out more than it is now since nothing is going to move. But if you make a bunch of power I would get it in as far as possible.
Old 06-21-2015, 04:28 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 241 Likes on 168 Posts

depending on the trans, some of the output shaft sticks out past the seal, so you actually have more spline than a seal might show
Stick the yoke in all the way, then meas how much you pull out to hook the shaft up
I shoot for around 3/4" pull out with rear loaded
Old 06-21-2015, 04:48 PM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by forcd ind
depending on the trans, some of the output shaft sticks out past the seal, so you actually have more spline than a seal might show
Stick the yoke in all the way, then meas how much you pull out to hook the shaft up
I shoot for around 3/4" pull out with rear loaded
It's a glide with a GV overdrive unit. The seal sticks out further than the shaft. The pull out is around 1 1/4" out of a 3.5" total length yoke.
Old 06-21-2015, 06:22 PM
9 Second Club

Received 180 Likes on 155 Posts

When you see how little splines engage on either driveshafts/axles within the diff, or a clutch disc on an input shaft...

Really, whilst you could have more on that spline/yoke, it really is plenty.

And the axles/stubs/shafts receive far more torque than the output shaft of the trans does.
Old 06-21-2015, 07:42 PM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by stevieturbo
When you see how little splines engage on either driveshafts/axles within the diff, or a clutch disc on an input shaft...

Really, whilst you could have more on that spline/yoke, it really is plenty.

And the axles/stubs/shafts receive far more torque than the output shaft of the trans does.

Since I don't have to change a thing or spend any money I'm going to subscribe to this theory. Is it ideal? No. Will it work? Probably and I think I'm cool with that.
Old 06-22-2015, 01:34 PM
8 Second Club

Received 757 Likes on 556 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

That's fine IMO. I actually had a similar situation and ordered a longer yoke instead of modifying the driveshaft.
Old 06-22-2015, 01:44 PM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by Forcefed86
That's fine IMO. I actually had a similar situation and ordered a longer yoke instead of modifying the driveshaft.
The more i look at it the less im worrying about it. If my trans moves enough to cause an engagement issue here i have much bigger issues to deal with.
Old 06-22-2015, 11:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,485 Likes on 929 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Are you getting any vibrations? What can happen when the driveshaft is too short and there isn't enough spline support to stabilize the yoke, the front u-joint can start "jump roping" which will cause a vibration. With an IRS car, I would want that yoke in as far as possible and leave 1/2" before the yoke bottoms out against the output shaft.

Also, do the splines inside the yoke extend all the way to the front tip of the yoke? I bet not.

Andrew
Old 06-23-2015, 12:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Mine has less engagement than that-I was concerned at first, but it does not vibrate and has held up to the abuse I have put it through thus far, so I have stopped worrying about it.

Originally Posted by Project GatTagO

Also, do the splines inside the yoke extend all the way to the front tip of the yoke? I bet not.

Thats a great point! I will have to take a peek next time I have my D shaft off
Old 06-23-2015, 07:19 AM
8 Second Club

Are you getting any vibrations? What can happen when the driveshaft is too short and there isn't enough spline support to stabilize the yoke, the front u-joint can start "jump roping" which will cause a vibration. With an IRS car, I would want that yoke in as far as possible and leave 1/2" before the yoke bottoms out against the output shaft.

Andrew

The splines run the length of the yoke. Why would you want extensive engagement on an IRS car? the Diff is fixed to the car and has zero travel.
Old 06-23-2015, 10:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Originally Posted by oscs
The splines run the length of the yoke. Why would you want extensive engagement on an IRS car? the Diff is fixed to the car and has zero travel.
It's the other way around. I want to take advantage of that fact that it is IRS to get as much spline engagement as possible.

Andrew
Old 06-24-2015, 07:34 AM
8 Second Club

It's the other way around. I want to take advantage of that fact that it is IRS to get as much spline engagement as possible.

Andrew

Gotcha, I think i have enough engagement at this point though.

Last edited by oscs; 06-24-2015 at 08:13 AM.
Old 06-24-2015, 07:44 AM
Man-Crush Warning

Received 123 Likes on 92 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Since you are not concerned with movement you can take advantage of having more spline engagement and lesson the chance of twisted splines etc. That is what I would guess he is getting at.
Old 06-24-2015, 07:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Andrew
Makes sense.

Also makes me want to investigate mine further.
Old 06-24-2015, 08:10 AM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by Shownomercy
Since you are not concerned with movement you can take advantage of having more spline engagement and lesson the chance of twisted splines etc. That is what I would guess he is getting at.
Ahhhh ok lol! I see what he is getting at now.
Old 06-24-2015, 12:22 PM
9 Second Club

Received 180 Likes on 155 Posts

Really though, whether IRS or Live rear...either can get plenty of engagement.

Fore/aft movement on mine through full axle travel is only a few mm anyway
Old 06-28-2015, 12:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Originally Posted by stevieturbo
Really though, whether IRS or Live rear...either can get plenty of engagement.

Fore/aft movement on mine through full axle travel is only a few mm anyway
I can confirm this. When I was doing some fitment testing on my 1970 GTO, I had the tail shaft housing off the trans. I installed the driveshaft and put a zip tie at the end of the slip yoke. Then I bounced the car as much as I could and also lifted it up as much as possible, and the zip tie moved about 1/8". Assuming there was more suspension travel when driving, on that particular car I doubt that the slip yoke moves more than 1/4" Also keep in mind that if the driveshaft and the pinion are mostly parallel to each other, as the pinion rises when power is applied, the yoke will actually move back, not forward. This will vary with different driveline angle arrangements, of course.

My latest Cougar build has this beauty installed:

The CV joints have some play in them and I don't have to be concerted about driveline angles anymore!

Andrew

Quick Reply: Yoke engagement question