Old 06-26-2015, 03:52 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AIS vs Aquamist vs Alky Control vs AEM

Okay yes some of you may say google it
I have and i havent found any recent posts regarding this
and I'm sure some of the systems have changed

I really want something with a failsafe
the motor im putting this on doesnt have an IAT sensor so i cant use that to retard timing like some people have suggested

so I want to know which system is best, and best for the money and will be safe for use if it ever did fail

Im leaning toward aquamist, but if i can get the same effect for cheaper id rather do that
Old 06-26-2015, 04:31 PM
9 Second Club

Received 179 Likes on 154 Posts

Aquamist will be the best for a complete package including failsafes, there is no question of that.
Also their control methods of a PWM valve to regulate flow as opposed to using pump speed is also the best option.

AIS by far make the best tanks though.

After that, if you opt for like for like there really isnt much odds between them, teflon/screw on type fittings would be preferred over plastic too where possible.

I think Howerton is one of the main places for Aquamist in the US

http://howertonengineering.com/
Old 06-26-2015, 04:46 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm partial to Alky Control becuase I've known Julio Don a LONG time and he's always been a str8 shooter,even before he started selling alky kits.

Also,Alky Control kits were the 1st Progreasive alky kit and the 1st to use Shurflo pumps.

Those are things everyone else ripped off and everyone considers basic in an alky kit now.

To me,that question is like asking "do u like real Wheaties or toasted wheat that comes in a bag and is a nickel cheaper"
Old 06-26-2015, 04:50 PM
On The Tree

BTW,I don't think any1 makes a "true" failsafe where it only allows a certain boost psi and retards your timing or anything.

Alky control does offer a low alky level light.

I've used Alky Control kits on my Buicks for almost 10 years and probably bought 1 of the 1st 50 kits Julio ever made and have never had ANY problem. I can't say the same for any other aftermarket car part.

What did Tommy Boy say "if u want me to crap in a box and slap a warranty on it,I will,I have time...."

But again,almost 10 years with a car that has sat extended periods sometimes for over a year and never any problems with my Alky Control kit. NEVER.
Old 06-26-2015, 04:51 PM
7 Second Club

Received 115 Likes on 72 Posts

Ive had a aquamist kit in my car for over 6 years still no problems i wouldnt run anything else
Old 06-26-2015, 04:57 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by drew408
BTW,I don't think any1 makes a "true" failsafe where it only allows a certain boost psi and retards your timing or anything.

Alky control does offer a low alky level light.

I've used Alky Control kits on my Buicks for almost 10 years and probably bought 1 of the 1st 50 kits Julio ever made and have never had ANY problem. I can't say the same for any other aftermarket car part.
Aquamist offers a set of contacts either n/o or n/c for you to interface with the engine controls to create an instant failsafe.

If you are using an EBC with boost control solenoids, then you can hook these up to the Aquamist controls to force a low w/g spring pressure only boost setting, or link them to the ecu somehow to force different operating conditions to assist with safety.
Obviously how you implement this will depend on the type of controls your ecu offers the tuner.
It also has visual ( and possibly audible ) warnings for the driver for fault conditions

And in the early years almost all the kits used Shurflo pumps ( Aquamist used their own very expensive high pressure pump though, but it lacked flow ability, but it worked superbly for the WRC cars )

Most seem to use Aquatec pumps now though.
Old 06-26-2015, 06:54 PM
TECH Regular

I have only ever dealt with two kits. Alky Control and Devils own. Both kits did what they were supposed do. I would give the edge to the Devils Own kit in the quality department. The fittings were a lot nicer on their kit. This probly wouldnt matter to most though. I would think any of the mentioned kits would get the job done. They have all been around for a very long time.
Old 06-29-2015, 09:51 AM
Teching In

I ended up going with an aquamist kit
waiting on it to come in now
just bit the bullet for the extra money
Old 06-29-2015, 11:02 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by cloudstruck
goodluck man! alky control is what i run as well as julio is close to me and i love how everything is quality and not cheap feeling like snow kits, i havent had a problem with mine in about 2 years of use now, idk how the aqua works but i like the controller alot for the alky kit as well. Goodluck OP
Old 06-29-2015, 11:21 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by cloudstruck
Good choice, money well spent.
Old 06-29-2015, 12:15 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I run Aquamist as well and appreciate how the kit is designed and the quality of the nozzles.
Old 06-30-2015, 12:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Devils Own has very good nozzles also.
Old 09-01-2015, 07:47 PM
TECH Regular

Bumping this back up for more discussion instead of starting a new thread.

I was just emailing alky control about pricing and ran across Aquamist and AIS.

I kinda the AIS with the tank/pump built in. Seems like they have good reviews but what the concenses on nylon line?

They all have some form of progressive controller. So seems like that is good either way. Auqamist has more features then I would probably ever use lol.

I've heard nothing good about alky control. What about AIS customer service?
Old 09-02-2015, 03:56 AM
9 Second Club

Most kits offer proper screw fittings and teflon lines, you just have to choose them.

No real issues with normal nylon and push fittings say 90% of the time. Generally speaking they work and last up well.

And no doubt AIS do have the best lineup of tanks

Quick Reply: AIS vs Aquamist vs Alky Control vs AEM