Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Procharger vs Turbo impeller size

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2015, 06:40 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Procharger vs Turbo impeller size

I have aspirations of building my own centrifugal supercharger. I have access to some machining capabilities to make the step-up gearbox and I'm not in a hurry to get this done.

Does anyone know the impeller size of a procharger F1D. What size turbo would I need to match the performance of a procharger F1D? Right now I am only looking to get 6-8 psi of boost. I am running a stock 5.3.

I may consider the idea of an electronic turbo if I can work out a variable power source. Would this be a better route to take?

Thanks.

Last edited by Greg.H; 10-10-2015 at 06:54 PM.
Old 10-10-2015, 06:51 PM
9 Second Club

Received 179 Likes on 154 Posts

Dimensions are on their site...not really sure what that matters though

https://www.procharger.com/sites/def...ecs-STREET.jpg

And you want to put a 1000hp capable supercharger onto a stock 5.3 at only 8psi boost...

And then ask a HUGE variable as to what turbo might match that ???

Why O Why....
Old 10-10-2015, 07:52 PM
Launching!

Just find a turbo with a 300mm compressor inducer, build a bracket to hold it right where the fan normally goes and belt drive it with a slip yoke type coupler. Run the air from the compressor discharge into a housing with a filter, and then into the motor. Remove the filter and add our salad attachment and cabbage to make coleslaw all day long.
Old 10-10-2015, 11:05 PM
Launching!

Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

Old 10-11-2015, 12:34 AM
8 Second Truck Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

It take a much larger wheel in a blower to match the power of a turbo. Also, big difference in rpm as well I believe.
Old 10-11-2015, 07:32 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RonA
Just find a turbo with a 300mm compressor inducer, build a bracket to hold it right where the fan normally goes and belt drive it with a slip yoke type coupler. Run the air from the compressor discharge into a housing with a filter, and then into the motor. Remove the filter and add our salad attachment and cabbage to make coleslaw all day long.
Lol...
Old 10-11-2015, 09:49 AM
On The Tree

Forget it. I'll figure it out myself and then post up results when I'm done.

Didn't know the testosterone levels of a few overzealous car-enthusiast high-schoolers was going to be this high.
Old 10-11-2015, 12:00 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Greg.H

Didn't know the testosterone levels of a few overzealous car-enthusiast high-schoolers was going to be this high.
As a machinist/machine shop owner with 40 years of experience, It is my opinion that you may be a bit ambitious trying to build a high rpm supercharger from scratch. Prototype costs will eat you alive.
Old 10-11-2015, 12:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

just running a turbo would be much much easier, not to mention proven, as well as cheaper both in cost and time..
and if it was at all practical to do so, RonA ^^^^ would and could do it..
Old 10-11-2015, 02:36 PM
9 Second Club

Well, part of the problem is the question seems to come from someone who has done no research whatsoever and has no knowledge of such things at all.....

The high schoolers would at least realise that

So why do you want to put a 1000hp capable blower onto a stock 5.3 then only run 8psi ? TBH, it's just stupid.

Then what relevance does the turbo bit have ? Impeller sizes on superchargers have almost no relevance to turbos, so again the question/link is just stupid.
Old 10-11-2015, 04:53 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by RonA
As a machinist/machine shop owner with 40 years of experience, It is my opinion that you may be a bit ambitious trying to build a high rpm supercharger from scratch. Prototype costs will eat you alive.
Ok this is a more reasonable response.

There was another thread (I think maybe on the corvette forum) where someone had done it, but I can't seem to find it.

The reasoning for only 6-8psi of boost is that my 5.3 is stock, and I just want to increase the power to around 400+ without losing any low end torque, that's all I want.

I also would rather spend days making a part than just buying it. It's cheaper and more fun.
Old 10-11-2015, 05:34 PM
9 Second Club

Ok this is a more reasonable response.

There was another thread (I think maybe on the corvette forum) where someone had done it, but I can't seem to find it.

The reasoning for only 6-8psi of boost is that my 5.3 is stock, and I just want to increase the power to around 400+ without losing any low end torque, that's all I want.

I also would rather spend days making a part than just buying it. It's cheaper and more fun.
So why are you asking about details for a 1000hp supercharger, when you only want 400hp ?

Would it not have been more sensible to ask what sort of size impeller might work for 4-500hp ?

You can easily buy all manner of shapes and sizes of impeller, but the difficult bit will be the gears themselves, as well as volute/housings etc

The actual gearcase whilst still a precision item, is probably the easiest bit.
Old 10-11-2015, 05:58 PM
On The Tree

Perhaps a smaller turbo is a better choice for my application. I also think that electronically driven is the way to go; no exhaust to re-route or gearboxes to fabricate.

Not to mention, with an electric motor comes the ability to vary speeds based on rpm, or just have it kick on at a certain rpm.

Some people like the gt45, with 6psi someone made over 400hp. Seems to be the ticket.
Old 10-11-2015, 08:33 PM
Restricted User

Received 104 Likes on 87 Posts

Electronically driven isn't the way to go.

These turbos spin at 60,000-100,000 RPM. You're still going to need a gearbox. Not to mention the weight in batteries that will provide you with the torque to spin one of these that quickly is going to kill most of the power anyway.

On top of that, turbo shafts are extremely delicate when it comes to side-load. The shaft will snap, bend, break, destroy the bearings, etc with any reasonable amount of belt tension. Even exhaust driven, all turbos are susceptible to 'shaft-play'. This combined with the RPM you'll need puts you right back at a gear drive system, plus a heavy payload of batteries. Then you want variable speeds, you'll need to factor in the cost of a controller that is able to read your RPM and throttle position.

You're now $2500 into a project that adds 200+ lbs to your car, is noise as hell with a gear drive, adds only 100 HP, and will probably blow 2 engines during trial and error on the variable speed electric motor that you're trying to use as a boost controller by controlling compressor wheel RPM.

If you're doing this because you think its in any way reasonable as far as power output, ease of installation, or cost... you're absolutely wrong. I have less than $2500 in my turbo setup that has more than doubled my engines power, and I could have done it much cheaper.

You can put an On3 70mm that costs $300 on your exhaust without re-routing it. You can put it back in place of the muffler if you want it. Turbos just need exhaust, it doesn't matter where they are on the car.

Quick Reply: Procharger vs Turbo impeller size