Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Holley EFI vs Factory

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2015, 10:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

Unless your going to run an OD trans, you can get away with the HP...I am at least. I'm using 3 of the 4 outputs (elec fan and water/meth). I shared the water/meth out put with the 2nd fuel pump so they both come on at 5psi - that frees up one output. If necess, you can get a separate switch for the elec fan and free up another. just depends on what your looking to do. The Dommy ECU is like another 800.00 on top of the HP, then you need all the extra harnesses. So its like an extra 1000.00+ to go Dommy.

Summit/Holley has the HP ls1/2 kits for $1550.00. That is enough to get an engine running right there - great deal. Add 2 pressure sensors and map sensor if all needed and your still under 2000.00 and can do what most of us need.
Old 11-27-2015, 11:58 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I completely agree. That was the main factor in me going with the dominator. If i wouldnt have had the 4l80e. It would be a hard decision between the MS and Holley. You can def keep the inputs and out puts to a min. You just have to then purchase the boost control and what have you, separate. It is extremely nice though to have all the I/O's. Of course dont forget to buy the harness and wires. lol

Having everything go through one system is amazingly nice though. You can datalog everything you could possibly want to know. You can change everything from shift points,boost,2 step, to what temp the fan comes on, etc... All on one screen.
Old 11-27-2015, 05:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 46 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by chub406
He was right on the terminator part at least. Then judging by the amounts of sensors. Im assuming twin waste gates? There is a terminator hp and a terminator dominator. It is the exact same hardware. The terminator is just dumbed way down. Dif software. Its for people that want to plug it in and go. Use a little hand held controller. Thats how I told by the holley rep I talked to and by what I seen on them.

You will spend way more than you expect! I keep saying it. I am very annoyed how they nickle and dime you. Except its like 100.00 at a time. lol
100 psi sensor that I see Denmah buy for 20.00 is 100 a pop. lol But once its done and over. Its not a big deal. Cant always be about money.

Like the map sensor. I got the holley map and the LS Main Harness. Also bought the ls to map adapter harness from them. Go to plug it in. Its not for their map seonsors. Its for a stock ls3 style. They dont make one for theirs. You have to splice it. lol

The hp is so limited by the amount of I/Os. That sounds legit on the price if going directly through holley.

You seen what I got for 2600. Through holley it was obviously way higher.
check out tickwholesale.com. i checked yesterday. they are still having the holley sale. plus today is black friday. they have half off on membership as well, I believe.
The way Holley nickle and dimes its customers for these setups is terrible. I understand needing to buy small things here and there but this many specific pieces is borderline stupid. If I go aftermarket ECU its one of the biggest reasons why I don't think I could go with a Holley setup unless I got some smoking good deal on it.
Old 11-28-2015, 12:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,388 Likes on 877 Posts

Originally Posted by 1bdbrd
The way Holley nickle and dimes its customers for these setups is terrible.....
I don't know why you say this. The LS specific HP systems come with everything that is needed for about $1550...

Here is the 24 tooth system:

https://holley.com/products/ls_power.../parts/550-602

The 58 tooth system is the same price.

The Dominator is sold ala carte because it is almost impossible to predict what individuals want to do with the systems. Some want trans control, some want DBW, some run nitrous, some boost, etc...etc...etc...

Andrew
Old 11-28-2015, 01:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Project GatTagO
I don't know why you say this. The LS specific HP systems come with everything that is needed for about $1550...

https://holley.com/products/ls_power.../parts/550-602

The 58 tooth system is the same price.

The Dominator is sold ala carte because it is almost impossible to predict what individuals want to do with the systems. Some want trans control, some want DBW, some run nitrous, some boost, etc...etc...etc...

Andrew
I say that because of the options and their prices. Of course everyone wants to see oil pressure so that should be built in. But then you have to buy an expensive sending unit and a special adapter harness if you are running it in an Fbody because of the cowl clearance.

Same with the map sensor. Way more expensive than basically every other similar sensor.

I just feel like with the dominator they could have a little more specific harnesses and not rape the people buying the extra parts.

Also the dominator does flex fuel setups but I don't believe it will combine that with boost control to change the tune on the fly.
Old 11-28-2015, 02:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

I say that because of the options and their prices. Of course everyone wants to see oil pressure so that should be built in. But then you have to buy an expensive sending unit and a special adapter harness if you are running it in an Fbody because of the cowl clearance.

Same with the map sensor. Way more expensive than basically every other similar sensor.

I just feel like with the dominator they could have a little more specific harnesses and not rape the people buying the extra parts.

Also the dominator does flex fuel setups but I don't believe it will combine that with boost control to change the tune on the fly.
I don't mean to be a dick, but you're not making sense. I just showed you that the HP system comes complete with everything you need. As for the oil pressure sensor, you can use a stock oil pressure sensor, the same goes for the MAP (every sensor is configurable so you can use any sensor you like). I got the Gen IV harness and was able to use my stock oil pressure sensor and a LS3 MAP (just moved pins around).

Again, with as many combinations that are floating around out there, it is hard to predict what people have.

The Dominator does have specific harnesses. There is the power harness (same as HP). There is the main harness (same as HP, Gen III or Gen IV specific). From there you add an injector harness (this is good because there are different styles of injector plugs). The items listed above will get you started and from there you can add various other things as needed (like trans, DBW, etc....).

If you want to make your own harnesses Holley has published all of the connector types that are used on the HP and the Dominator. I can tell you from experience that unless you know exactly what you are doing, building your own can get very expensive.

Andrew
Old 11-28-2015, 04:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

I don't mean to be a dick, but you're not making sense. I just showed you that the HP system comes complete with everything you need. As for the oil pressure sensor, you can use a stock oil pressure sensor, the same goes for the MAP (every sensor is configurable so you can use any sensor you like). I got the Gen IV harness and was able to use my stock oil pressure sensor and a LS3 MAP (just moved pins around).

Again, with as many combinations that are floating around out there, it is hard to predict what people have.

The Dominator does have specific harnesses. There is the power harness (same as HP). There is the main harness (same as HP, Gen III or Gen IV specific). From there you add an injector harness (this is good because there are different styles of injector plugs). The items listed above will get you started and from there you can add various other things as needed (like trans, DBW, etc....).

If you want to make your own harnesses Holley has published all of the connector types that are used on the HP and the Dominator. I can tell you from experience that unless you know exactly what you are doing, building your own can get very expensive.

Andrew
No worries man I was on my phone and the mobile version sucks for replying lol. I was mainly talking about a Dominator instead of the HP because (and I might be wrong on this as well) but I don't feel the HP has enough inputs and outputs for a boosted LS setup even without an electronic auto.

Everything I have read about the Holley stuff is that you have to run their sensors. Until you posted that I didn't know that stock ones could be reused which really confused me.
Old 11-28-2015, 04:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

No worries man I was on my phone and the mobile version sucks for replying lol. I was mainly talking about a Dominator instead of the HP because (and I might be wrong on this as well) but I don't feel the HP has enough inputs and outputs for a boosted LS setup even without an electronic auto.

Everything I have read about the Holley stuff is that you have to run their sensors. Until you posted that I didn't know that stock ones could be reused which really confused me.
The Dominator is definitely better suited for any sort of forced induction, be it boost or nitrous. Also remember this, the Dominator has all of the boost and nitrous controllers already built in, so external "black boxes" are not needed. For boosted applications you can control both boost and water/meth injection, all within the Holley software.

Download the software (it's free) and see for yourself regarding the sensors. There is a Sensor ICF (Individual Configuration File? I forget what it stands for) that allows you to use any sensor you can imagine as long as you know the output curve.

I just get frustrated when people form opinions based on random internet posts from people that have never even seen a product in person.

Andrew
Old 11-28-2015, 04:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

The Dominator is definitely better suited for any sort of forced induction, be it boost or nitrous. Also remember this, the Dominator has all of the boost and nitrous controllers already built in, so external "black boxes" are not needed. For boosted applications you can control both boost and water/meth injection, all within the Holley software.

Download the software (it's free) and see for yourself regarding the sensors. There is a Sensor ICF (Individual Configuration File? I forget what it stands for) that allows you to use any sensor you can imagine as long as you know the output curve.

I just get frustrated when people form opinions based on random internet posts from people that have never even seen a product in person.

Andrew
I can understand that. Mine has come from reading their forum and all their literature and some posts on here. I want an ecu setup that pulls everything together into one main control unit (fans, boost, traction control, fuel pumps, flex fuel etc) as I don't like have all kinds of individual units trying to control things randomly throughout the car and is why I like the idea of the Dominator or MS3-Pro. I wish the HP had a few more inputs and outputs on it. Jumping from the HP to Dominator is a pretty large jump in price and puts the MS3 setup right in the middle once you get the plug and play harness.

I really like the interface of the Holley setup better though. It seems more finished than TunerStudio does.
Old 11-28-2015, 07:47 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 69-chvl
With the HP and harness kit you will get the engine fired-up and running. If you want to log fuel and oil pressures, you need to buy the pressure sensors at 100.00/ea. If you want to run boost control, you need to buy another pressure sensor and a couple of solenoids at ~100.00/ea again.

Keep in mind though that the hp has only 4 inputs and 4 outputs. If you have a fan(s) you will use one of the outputs, maybe 2. Boost control uses another 2 of the outputs so after that your out of outputs. At that point you need to go dominator.
Tech facts... I'm using an 18 dollar eBay sensor for logging fuel pressure, stock sensor for oil, and a $30 Mac valve for boost. Pressure sensor for boost is the map
Old 11-28-2015, 11:34 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Z28-4-Chris
The latest software revision for Holley EFI allows tuning/ calibration from the 7" screen I'm pretty sure
I have the 7" "Digital Dash" LCD and the Dominator. It can only be used for a highly customized gauge cluster and data logging, even with the LCD and Dominator updated to the latest software version. If you want to make adjustments on the fly you need the 5.x" screen, 3.x" screen, or Windows tablet.

Also remember this, the Dominator has all of the boost and nitrous controllers already built in, so external "black boxes" are not needed. For boosted applications you can control both boost and water/meth injection, all within the Holley software.
This is why I went straight to the Dominator. Seems expensive, but subtract the price of all the piggy back boxes for boost, nitrous, trans, water/meth, and so on, the price really isnt that bad. I think paying for it all up front instead of a little over time as you need it is what scares people.

And as for Holley nickle and diming people, I'm in between. I do agree that its horrible, but at the same time people could save a ton of money by not being lazy. I'll tell you right now that I'm the lazy kind and I pay for it. You can make any sensor work, you dont absolutely need theirs, by creating custom tables for sensors. Problem is good luck finding all the offsets, voltages, and all that other stuff you need to create the custom tables. And like someone mentioned before, in their forums they have released where to buy the pigtails, crimps, wires, and all that. But I just buy all of it, aint got time for that.
Old 11-29-2015, 09:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

Andrew
He was referring to my post. Not trying to sound like an ***. I assure you I have the dominator running the car as we speak. lol

Andrew
I completely agree for the HP. I would do the -R and get the NTK for another 100.

For the Dominator and the other features like boost control, traction control, etc..Its not the fact of all the things I have to buy ala carte. Its the price of the add ons. Nearly 400.00 for a main harness? Or 100.00 per sensor. When to run their boost control. I need 2 more solenoids and a min of I believe 3 sensors. The accessory plug and wires for 125.00 is way higher than expected. I guess its just I feel the prices are quite a bit higher than I would have expected. That is why when I found the prices on Tick. It changed everything. I saved almost 700.00 by getting it through them, compared to the exact same prices from Holleys website. Then at 75.00 a sensor. I dont feel so bad. haha

I put in my reply on the first page. lol Yes. You can use the stock sensors. Im using the stock oil pressure sensor, coolent, IAT, ect... I got the sensor for my Magnafuel RPR. I wanted to make sure it is dead nuts, so I got the Holley sensor. Thats the only one needed if I wasn't using their boost control.

Originally Posted by Jc803

And as for Holley nickle and diming people, I'm in between. I do agree that its horrible, but at the same time people could save a ton of money by not being lazy. I'll tell you right now that I'm the lazy kind and I pay for it. You can make any sensor work, you dont absolutely need theirs, by creating custom tables for sensors. Problem is good luck finding all the offsets, voltages, and all that other stuff you need to create the custom tables. And like someone mentioned before, in their forums they have released where to buy the pigtails, crimps, wires, and all that. But I just buy all of it, aint got time for that.
^ Exactly! Just like any fabrication. Do you want to spend more time doing it yourself? Or spend more money to have someone do it for you? Pick one.
I got the accessory plug for like 7.00 from the part numbers on their forum. Which is really cool they would allow that. Obviously not buying it through them.

Thats why I'm not so upset with Holley at their prices. If I got off my *** and did it myself. I could have saved prob 500 on the pre made harnesses... but Dam it was nice to lay it out, plug it in. Hit the key. Listen to her talk. haha
Old 11-30-2015, 12:35 AM
TECH Apprentice

Lol at 2 solenoids and 3 sensors for holley boost control
Old 11-30-2015, 12:53 AM
TECH Apprentice

Not to hijack the thread but to show what other options there are. Would you show how you set yours up, 93hatch?
Old 11-30-2015, 10:54 AM
TECH Apprentice

Not to hijack the thread but to show what other options there are. Would you show how you set yours up, 93hatch?
I put it in post 70. If you talk to holley their boost control is close to $400 but it's the same ****. I have one Mac valve controlling two gates, and an eBay fuel pressure sensor. The only sensor I didn't cheap out on which I should have is the 3 bar map
Old 11-30-2015, 11:03 AM
8 Second Club

Received 944 Likes on 700 Posts

Its all covered in the Holley manual. You can run the Holley boost control with one solenoid and reference the MAP sensor for boost, same as you can run an eboost, AEM, etc.. its just not as fancy as the multi solenoid and dome sensor setup. On my setup the single solenoid works fine, I run 18 PSI wastegate spring and use the controller for more then that.
Old 11-30-2015, 11:39 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by SLOW SEDAN
Its all covered in the Holley manual. You can run the Holley boost control with one solenoid and reference the MAP sensor for boost, same as you can run an eboost, AEM, etc.. its just not as fancy as the multi solenoid and dome sensor setup. On my setup the single solenoid works fine, I run 18 PSI wastegate spring and use the controller for more then that.
Right. I planned on using all the Holley stuff. 93Hatch didn't. Thats what I meant. I just looked up Mac valve. From what I see, that is a solenoid. Thats what threw me off. I didnt think he was using any.

Are either of you running Co2?
Old 11-30-2015, 11:47 AM
TECH Apprentice

Mac valve is what's used in most of the boost controllers, like the aem true boost. And no
Old 11-30-2015, 11:51 AM
8 Second Club

Received 944 Likes on 700 Posts

Right. I planned on using all the Holley stuff. 93Hatch didn't. Thats what I meant. I just looked up Mac valve. From what I see, that is a solenoid. Thats what threw me off. I didnt think he was using any.

Are either of you running Co2?
I'm not baller enough to need Co2, I just run an 18PSI spring and I've turned the controller up to 26PSI or so and it held fine.
Old 11-30-2015, 12:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

Oh ok. That makes sense then, Hatch. Thank you.

Haha. Ya but I'm not baller enough to run 26 psi!

SBE with a billet s480,My set of kill, is your gate spring. lol

Quick Reply: Holley EFI vs Factory