Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

TWO DIFFERENT TURBOS IN Parallel POSSIBLE

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2015, 12:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah, there is a big difference between an .84 & a .96.

I could see that happening as one turbo wants to come up in pressure before the other one. It won't matter separating them pre-IC as they will flow into the same plenum, or the intake of Y'd after separate IC's.

The turbo specs on the one, if you had identical ones, would work well enough for about 650-700HP with a .68 A/R with twins. Even .84's might work but response time would suffer.

This is really combination dependent. I don't know enough about what you have engine-wise, I think you posted some stuff about it in the conversion forum, but I haven't read the thread yet.
Old 12-11-2015, 12:18 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

stock ls1 motor and 4l60e trans out of a 2000 camaro ss, i was thinking to just get smaller sep intercooler. and make them meet right at the throttle, which by that time the boost would just go right into the throttle and not back all the way down to the weaker turbo
Old 12-11-2015, 12:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Find out the specs on the other turbo. Then go from there.
Old 12-11-2015, 05:34 PM
TECH Addict

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by BoostedLS1CrownVic
http://www.ebay.com/itm/231054559617?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
thats 1 turbo
It's a $170 turbo can you really not afford to buy another one so you can atleast have a matching pair. It seems like a huge pain in the A to ho through just to save $170
If I were you I wouldn't even bother trying to make the 2 different turbos work, I would just spend the $170 and be done.
Old 12-11-2015, 05:54 PM
Staging Lane

Ya well my luck there out of stock lol, plus it sounds fun to try to make this work
Old 12-11-2015, 06:48 PM
TECH Addict

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

No they arnt out of stock just that seller is. Here is the same exact turbo from another seller.
http://m.ebay.com/itm/SUPER-T70-T3-ANTI-SURGE-V-BAND-EXHAUST-FLANGE-TURBO-CHARGER-TURBOCHARGER-600-HPS-/161739456927?nav=SEARCH$166
Old 12-12-2015, 08:48 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BoostedLS1CrownVic
Ya well my luck there out of stock lol, plus it sounds fun to try to make this work
No, no it doesn't.

Get the same turbo & try it. My guess it will be more of a top end queen with .84 turbine H's (even though its running a 73/58 turbine) & nothing much under 5,000RPM with a stock motor. It's all going to depend on how the converter loads it though...

.68's would work much better in a car like a vic for street driving, IMO. It would spool up in the 3,000-4,000RPM range & have low end torque to spare. Will still pull 6,500 all day.
Old 12-12-2015, 12:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by gtfoxy
No, no it doesn't.

Get the same turbo & try it. My guess it will be more of a top end queen with .84 turbine H's (even though its running a 73/58 turbine) & nothing much under 5,000RPM with a stock motor. It's all going to depend on how the converter loads it though...
Your way off.

This is my junk- stock LS1, stock Cam, on LARGER turbos with larger AR's. Stock Redline. Im at 20psi around 3800-4k depending on gear. This video is looking at the boost gauge.

With an auto and lower gear ratio, my set up would actually spool faster on his car! As for a solution, I still dont know. There are a metric **** ton of potenial issues here-how about the 2 inch exhaust, or the fact that the car gaiend 40whp when the downpipe was removed? Oye!

I am local to the OP so hopefully I can take a peek and firgue out whats going on!
Old 12-12-2015, 12:54 PM
8 Second Club

Received 757 Likes on 556 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

I don't get what the question is? You already have it setup and it's running and making boost. So obviously it works, no?

In a pressure system, 2 unequal pressures will always take the path of least resistance. This will be the inlet to the engine. The smaller turbo isn't going to "back feed" the larger.

You will have unequal backpressure levels driving each turbo which is less than ideal. It will cause different levels of reversion on each bank. (assuming you have one bank feeding each turbo with no equalizing cross over.) This means each bank will need a different AFR and timing curve for best performance. Assuming you have an ECU capable of this you could make it work. . If you're not super concerned about your setup performing it's best it's probably "ok". I'd watch the plugs close on something like that. Your WB02 is only giving you a collective reading. Maybe install some sort of equalizer across the 2 banks as well. 2 mismatched turbos adds alot of unnecessary complication.... Basically not a good idea IMO...
Old 12-14-2015, 06:21 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If it still roasts tire, its a good idea lol

I love how sloppy this is. Try and get it sorted out before you put a matching set on there, this way you can rustle more jimmies
Old 12-14-2015, 09:42 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by coltboostin
Your way off.

This is my junk- stock LS1, stock Cam, on LARGER turbos with larger AR's. Stock Redline. Im at 20psi around 3800-4k depending on gear. This video is looking at the boost gauge.

LSJUAN Twin Turbo Ls1 free 2 stage boost controler testing - YouTube

With an auto and lower gear ratio, my set up would actually spool faster on his car! As for a solution, I still dont know. There are a metric **** ton of potenial issues here-how about the 2 inch exhaust, or the fact that the car gaiend 40whp when the downpipe was removed? Oye!

I am local to the OP so hopefully I can take a peek and firgue out whats going on!
What's the specs on the turbos?

Like I said, it will depend on how the converter loads it. Which is partially, of-course, dependent on gearing.

Originally Posted by Forcefed86
I don't get what the question is? You already have it setup and it's running and making boost. So obviously it works, no?

In a pressure system, 2 unequal pressures will always take the path of least resistance. This will be the inlet to the engine. The smaller turbo isn't going to "back feed" the larger.

You will have unequal backpressure levels driving each turbo which is less than ideal. It will cause different levels of reversion on each bank. (assuming you have one bank feeding each turbo with no equalizing cross over.) This means each bank will need a different AFR and timing curve for best performance. Assuming you have an ECU capable of this you could make it work. . If you're not super concerned about your setup performing it's best it's probably "ok". I'd watch the plugs close on something like that. Your WB02 is only giving you a collective reading. Maybe install some sort of equalizer across the 2 banks as well. 2 mismatched turbos adds alot of unnecessary complication.... Basically not a good idea IMO...
Watch his video. I didn't see it make more than a couple psi at the very top end.

Ditto on the rest.

Last edited by gtfoxy; 12-14-2015 at 09:47 AM.
Old 12-14-2015, 05:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Its really not though. That thing should be on the gate by 4500, even if it was a lazy ******. It NEVER gets on gate- only sees maybe 2-3psi

Originally Posted by gtfoxy
What's the specs on the turbos?

Like I said, it will depend on how the converter loads it. Which is partially, of-course, dependent on gearing.

t.

on3 67/66 (bigger than his) .81 Ar, Stock LS1 (same as his) with a M6 (worse for load/spool) and 4.10's (the worst, period!)
Old 12-14-2015, 06:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The main thing I see here in what he listed as the second turbo came in a kit, for a single, on an LS motor.

That thing could have a larger compressor, turbine & turbine housing. If it's designed for a single kit there is no way that motor will spool that turbo & another one split off or on its own bank.

I wouldn't try comparing what you have to an unknown commodity. There could be a big difference in turbine wheels & to compare what you have vs what we don't know what he has, only makes it worse.

He needs to call cx racing or take it apart & measure it.

Only way to make this work, If the second turbo is way larger, is run them in series & crank the boost up. In order to make seriesed system work you need to match the compressors perfectly for the right pressure ratios & flow.

Last edited by gtfoxy; 12-14-2015 at 06:21 PM.
Old 12-15-2015, 08:04 AM
Staging Lane

meanwhile. it is possible to have two different turbos parallel of each other... i did it
Old 12-15-2015, 08:05 AM
Staging Lane

i just now made boost,
Old 11-22-2021, 07:30 PM
Teching In

I had some free time today to mess around and my other turbo is still in the mail so I went ahead and ran some mismatched turbos, in this case a t04e and an hx40 on a 6.2 and documented the hptuners log of what happened. Never went over 10psi to be safe

Old 11-23-2021, 12:44 AM
TECH Addict

Received 478 Likes on 368 Posts

Wow old but a goodie..

BMW played with twins that were different sizes,, small for quick spool big one for the top end,,
They never really go tit to work, most ended up with a single to replace them under a warranty deal.

There have been others. I think the first limitation is you need a awesome EFI system. Like a motec or electromotive that can handle the electronic multiple waste-gates and blow off valves. (Wild guess.. LOL )

Quick Reply: TWO DIFFERENT TURBOS IN Parallel POSSIBLE