Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

looking for a way to make this work--steam vent lines

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2016, 09:13 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default looking for a way to make this work--steam vent lines

I'm working on a front mounted intercooler twin turbo truck, the radiator will be in the back under the bed laying horizontal. I have a meizere remote water pump that will be plumbed to a y block that will tie into the block with -12 li nes and the same returning to the radiator. Now the problem, where or how can I run my steam vent lines to? Not to many people have an idea on the rear low mounted radiator setup. I thought about running it thru a -4 line into the y block I made after tying the four together, but that would be running down hill about 14 inches and have researched that the steam lines need to run level or at an incline to work correctly so I don't know if they would function right. Will that work?? I'm looking for any help or correctly functioning ideas or what I can do if anything. This has me somewhat stumped that for sure. I thought about a expantion tank but I am not sure what size line to use or where to tie it into the cooling system. Again any help will be appreciated. thanks Mark
Attached Thumbnails looking for a way to make this work--steam vent lines-3-16-16.jpg   looking for a way to make this work--steam vent lines-3-16-16a.jpg   looking for a way to make this work--steam vent lines-3-16-16b.jpg   looking for a way to make this work--steam vent lines-3-16-16c.jpg   looking for a way to make this work--steam vent lines-3-16-16d.jpg  

looking for a way to make this work--steam vent lines-3-16-16e.jpg   looking for a way to make this work--steam vent lines-3-16-16f.jpg  
Old 03-16-2016, 09:23 PM
TECH Addict

Received 185 Likes on 135 Posts

Do exactly what you're thinking. Tap into the lines headed back to the radiator. Don't worry about the steam lines being elevated, they'll be pressurized and push the air pockets out of the heads and to the radiator. The steam lines from the engine just need somewhere to bleed to.
Old 03-17-2016, 05:05 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If the radiator is lower than the top of the engine he needs a expansion tank.

Fisherboys how are you filling your cooling system?
Old 03-17-2016, 05:27 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Are you running a heater core? If so you can tap into the return side.
Old 03-17-2016, 05:38 AM
TECH Veteran

Here is what i did with a flat lying radiator.

Expansion tank right in the center here, rear and front steam vents plumbed together into the top of the can with -4an hose and out of the bottom of the can into the low pressure side of the water pump. Sure you could do something similar. Also, if you get onto bullet, the mockstang boys posted a video explaining how they did there rear mount radiator with a remote mounted pump like you. Its in the LSX/Mod/Hemi section i believe

Name:  IMG_20140403_203210_711_zpsxk2ip1mt.jpg
Views: 3030
Size:  80.2 KB
Old 03-17-2016, 09:47 AM
9 Second Club

Received 179 Likes on 154 Posts

When the engine is running, they dont need to run uphill as such, water flow will naturally make them work.

But yes they should run into an airspace somewhere...ie a remote header tank, likewise with any air bleed in your system, and given the "different" design, you may well need a few of these to ensure no air ever gets trapped anywhere.

These do not need to be large at all, just enough that they will allow any air to get expelled, but not that they would ever clog up should there be small debris in the system
Old 03-17-2016, 03:35 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by LS1-IROC
Are you running a heater core? If so you can tap into the return side.
No I am not running a heater core or a stock water pump which may change if I cant make this work. Thanks for the reply
Old 03-17-2016, 03:40 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by stevieturbo
When the engine is running, they dont need to run uphill as such, water flow will naturally make them work.

But yes they should run into an airspace somewhere...ie a remote header tank, likewise with any air bleed in your system, and given the "different" design, you may well need a few of these to ensure no air ever gets trapped anywhere.

These do not need to be large at all, just enough that they will allow any air to get expelled, but not that they would ever clog up should there be small debris in the system
ok that is what I was hoping to hear. I'm sure I'll have to put in a few bleeders. The more I work on this it may not be as much as a '' different" design but something I aint smart enough to do. Thanks for the info
Old 03-17-2016, 03:49 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by JAX04
Here is what i did with a flat lying radiator.

Expansion tank right in the center here, rear and front steam vents plumbed together into the top of the can with -4an hose and out of the bottom of the can into the low pressure side of the water pump. Sure you could do something similar. Also, if you get onto bullet, the mockstang boys posted a video explaining how they did there rear mount radiator with a remote mounted pump like you. Its in the LSX/Mod/Hemi section i believe
I was thinking of somrthing like this but I may have complicated things by the rear mounted radiator. Thought of trying to build a small tank and center it up right under the throttle body but can I run a -8 line from the bottom of the tank to the y block that I made that returns water back to the radiator?? Would that size line be big enough?? I really appreciate all the replies and help from all. Thanks so much Mark
I was thinking of somrthing like this but I may have complicated things by the rear mounted radiator. Thought of trying to build a small tank and center it up right under the throttle body but can I run a -8 line from the bottom of the tank to the y block that I made that returns water back to the radiator?? Would that size line be big enough?? I really appreciate all the replies and help from all. Thanks so much Mark
Old 03-18-2016, 04:26 AM
9 Second Club

Received 179 Likes on 154 Posts

it is normal for the return from a remote header tank to re-enter the system prior to the pump.

Whether this is in the hose before the pump, or in that side of the radiator isnt so important, but most OEM's do it closer to the pump.

Most OEM's run around 5/8" for this hose, as the remote header is also the primary fill point for the system being the highest point.
Old 03-19-2016, 08:22 PM
On The Tree

Thanks for info and reply

Quick Reply: looking for a way to make this work--steam vent lines