Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

3.4 pulley w/ SDCE 8 rib set up...

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2004, 07:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 3.4 pulley w/ SDCE 8 rib set up...

Well after seeing bos get his 3.4 pulley to work with the 53-1/8 belt I went ahead and tried it out on my set up. The spring tensioner is now maxed out, but the tension mark reads 15. I don't know if this enough tension with this sized belt but we will find out soon enough. I will be getting the new program installed now and then taking it out to the dyno and then to the track to see if I get more boost. I will also be installing the Nordskog Digital gauge because the cyberdyne I feel is unaccurate. If the Nordskog doesn't match up with the mechanical autometer gauge I have then I will ditch the digital gauges all together and go with a memory box on my mechanical gauge.

Here is a few pics of the 3.4 pulley install.
A flat blade used to fit between the s/c case and the spring tensioner perfect, now the spring tensioner is maxed out....

Tensioner markers are at 15 and lined up almost perfectly, will this be enough tension? I will have to wait and see, if not I will special order the 52.5 gatorback from autozone and try that one out.

Bos, post pics of what yours looks like, I did have some belt dust at the front of the bracket right next to the big idler pulley, so I was getting some slip. I adjusted that down some more until it almost touched the bottom standoff.
J
Old 06-15-2004, 07:56 PM
kp
8 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The digital gauges arent bad but they arent dampened at all, if you hit the limiter they will read way high. Plus i dont like any gauge that uses the same same sender for fuel pressure and boost

I ended up using an autometer phantom recall boost gauge, it calibrates itself everytime you turn on the key and its very repeatable - downside its 180.00 or something like that..
Old 06-15-2004, 08:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Cool I will prolly go that route if the Nordskog reads funny with the test that we will do on it first.
J
Old 06-15-2004, 08:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by frcefed98
Cool I will prolly go that route if the Nordskog reads funny with the test that we will do on it first.
J
I am going to wait and see what i get when the FMIC goes in before i probably order a 3.4" blower pulley. So Goodyear does make a gator back in 8 rib for this.... i went to autozone and the dummys there told me they dont make it.... you have a aprt number?
Did you ever order the stuff me and you were looking at yesterday? If you did shoot me a pm with your plans and other little stuff ya got planned.
Kyle
Old 06-15-2004, 08:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

Haven't ordered anything yet, but I have all the hoses and connectors priced out. I pretty much planned out the routing in advance so I can get things mounted right away. I will probably sell my twins first before I order a FMIC. The guy at autozone said the PN was 4080525 and that his warehouse was out of stock to check back with him next week. I don't know if this is true but I hope so....I would love to be running a gatorback on this set up Maybe Scott and Wendy can get a hold of Goodyear and ask them to run some of these belt in 51.5, 52, 52.5 and 53 and 1/8 for us. That would be awesome and they could supply the belts to us instead of us having to search for them.

Did you check out my post on my BIG AIR FILTER INSTALL
Old 06-15-2004, 08:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

Haven't ordered anything yet, but I have all the hoses and connectors priced out. I pretty much planned out the routing in advance so I can get things mounted right away. I will probably sell my twins first before I order a FMIC. The guy at autozone said the PN was 4080525 and that his warehouse was out of stock to check back with him next week. I don't know if this is true but I hope so....I would love to be running a gatorback on this set up Maybe Scott and Wendy can get a hold of Goodyear and ask them to run some of these belt in 51.5, 52, 52.5 and 53 and 1/8 for us. That would be awesome and they could supply the belts to us instead of us having to search for them.

Did you check out my post on my BIG AIR FILTER INSTALL

No i didnt its in the forum??? Ill look after this..... what size IC are you looking at? I asked that guy who was selling those 2 we were looking at if they can be made bigger with 3" inlets and outlets and other questions
Kyle
Old 06-15-2004, 08:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Cool I'm pm'ing you some info...
Old 06-16-2004, 01:19 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll get some pics up soon, the 90mm idler is eating at my belt, I talked to scott at SD and I guess since my belt is possibly running sideways slighty its pulling at the top of it.....I put a spacer in that idler, but if I take it out I think it will get worse......My tensioner is basically close to maxed out and all I could get was about 14 out of it, no belt slip at all......
Old 06-16-2004, 10:37 AM
TECH Senior Member

I'll wait till I get it on the dyno or to the track to make the no slip comment. I just feel the 53 belt is too big for it not to slip. We tried to hunt down a 52.5 of any brand but we had no luck it was either special order or not stocked so we went ahead and used the 53. I just hope it holds. With the new filter and 3.4 I hope I see about 4 psi more....might be wishing too hard though....
J
Old 06-16-2004, 01:44 PM
TECH Addict

goodyear does make a 52.5
the part number you listed is correct.

I don't know what the hell I was doing then becuase the 52.5 maxed out my tensioner.

oh well doesn't matter any more since the stuff is all gone now.
Old 06-17-2004, 01:59 AM
TECH Senior Member

I think a 52.5 would be good for the current 3.4"

P# is 4080525 for that gatorback?
Old 06-17-2004, 12:30 PM
On The Tree

I'll wait till I get it on the dyno or to the track to make the no slip comment. I just feel the 53 belt is too big for it not to slip. We tried to hunt down a 52.5 of any brand but we had no luck it was either special order or not stocked so we went ahead and used the 53. I just hope it holds. With the new filter and 3.4 I hope I see about 4 psi more....might be wishing too hard though....
J
Belt dust will be normal. There will always be some dust...not from slipping, from actually being USED! Try that before you special order a belt you don't need...

The 53" belt shouldn't be too long, Jeremy. scott looked at your pics and he said you should slide down that bolt all the way to the bottom in the first pic you posted...that will give you more tension on the belt. Call here if you need more info...

Kyle...can you pm or call me please?
Old 06-17-2004, 12:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

I tried sliding that bolt down, that proves to be very very difficult once the belt is already ran
Old 06-17-2004, 12:37 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by BIGBOS
I tried sliding that bolt down, that proves to be very very difficult once the belt is already ran
Pull the tensioner back then slide it down...
Old 06-17-2004, 01:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

Wendy do you guys think its beginners time here at my house. Of course I slid the idler as far as I could down. What you guys at SDCE don't realize is that the idler will touch the standoff that is directly below that if you slide it down too far. I used a straight edge place inbetween the standoff and idler to make sure I had a sufficient gap between the idler and standoff so they wouldn't rub against each other. I know belt dust will be normal, but I was letting bos know there is a new place to look for it. The 53 is too long I don't care what you guys say, the spring tensioner is maxed out PERIOD. Yes the marks are lined up at 15 but is the enough tension.....I won't know until I hit the dyno and watch the gauge. The 52.5 will be a better choice as it won't max the spring tensioner out.

I have an extra block/crank I will sell you guys at SDCE and s/c bracket so you guys can mount up your set up on to go over every aspect of this install. You will see where things are.
J
Old 06-17-2004, 01:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Wendy do you guys think its beginners time here at my house. Of course I slid the idler as far as I could down. What you guys at SDCE don't realize is that the idler will touch the standoff that is directly below that if you slide it down too far. I used a straight edge place inbetween the standoff and idler to make sure I had a sufficient gap between the idler and standoff so they wouldn't rub against each other. I know belt dust will be normal, but I was letting bos know there is a new place to look for it. The 53 is too long I don't care what you guys say, the spring tensioner is maxed out PERIOD. Yes the marks are lined up at 15 but is the enough tension.....I won't know until I hit the dyno and watch the gauge. The 52.5 will be a better choice as it won't max the spring tensioner out.

I have an extra block/crank I will sell you guys at SDCE and s/c bracket so you guys can mount up your set up on to go over every aspect of this install. You will see where things are.
J

Dang Dude..................
Old 06-17-2004, 02:19 PM
On The Tree

Let's not get offended...we're just trying to help and we don't think everyone is getting it all just yet because it's new.
The only thing that dictates the tensioner being maxed out is if it's touching the stop all the way to the driver's side. Is this the case on your car? The pictures we looked at from you show us that is not the case. Also, the tensioner should be able to swing ALL WAY by that bolt...it has on every other install we've done stock engine or not...Does it on your car?
We're just trying to figure out why yours is different. We'd like to see you use it to it's full potential without wasting money on belts you might not need. If you no longer trust or want our help, by all means, say so.
Your idler does not appear to be all the way down...try this and tell me what happens...loosen the ADJUSTMENT nut on the idler...pull the tensioner back. the belt should be loose now because there's no tensioner pulling on it and the idler should slide down...Does it work on your car? If not, your belt may be too short!!! trust us, dude...

J
Old 06-17-2004, 04:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

My tension is at 13 right now, and with the 53 1/8th thats fine for now, its taken many dyno pulls and everything is in check, just some light dust on the bottom stand off...I might try to move the idler down some when I get some extra time....

But my new little issue is going to be keeping the crank pulley put, its starting to slowly move, I'm going to probably have some extra dowels machined in so the pulley can't move at all once its in.....

Also, I'll end up getting a 3.2" pulley, and using a 51.5" belt.......I think that will be the perfect setup to go along w/the FMIC......I hope.....

My only issue w/the belt situation is the 90mm idler is wearing the belt some, but the wear has seemed to stop.....I guess like Scott was saying its because the belt isn't going straight across it, I can see that my stuff is riding slightly on an angle, but I really don't want to mess with it anymore now, especially that its not slipping, the only part on the belt thats getting hurt is the top side, not the ribs....
Old 06-17-2004, 05:18 PM
TECH Apprentice

I have the 53" belt an everything works fine. The idler is way up, I could use a longer belt and adjust the idler down and the tensioner over for more pulley wrap.

frcefed98, don't get frustrated. Give Scott a call I am sure he could help.
Old 06-17-2004, 07:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by SDCE
Let's not get offended...we're just trying to help and we don't think everyone is getting it all just yet because it's new.
The only thing that dictates the tensioner being maxed out is if it's touching the stop all the way to the driver's side. Is this the case on your car? The pictures we looked at from you show us that is not the case. Also, the tensioner should be able to swing ALL WAY by that bolt...it has on every other install we've done stock engine or not...Does it on your car?
We're just trying to figure out why yours is different. We'd like to see you use it to it's full potential without wasting money on belts you might not need. If you no longer trust or want our help, by all means, say so.
Your idler does not appear to be all the way down...try this and tell me what happens...loosen the ADJUSTMENT nut on the idler...pull the tensioner back. the belt should be loose now because there's no tensioner pulling on it and the idler should slide down...Does it work on your car? If not, your belt may be too short!!! trust us, dude...
Hi Wendy, thanks for the customer bash...
Not offended at all, just explaining that I have some skills when it comes to working on my car and this s/c set up. I have done it a million times through a couple different pulley set ups and the SDCE set up wasn't that hard to get the hang of. I know you don't want me wasting any money on belts if I don't have too, this 53 is working JUST FINE and was suprised that it went up and tensioned at 15 too, I NEVER SAID IT WASN'T working or anything negative. But the better choice that I said I FELT would be a better choice was the 52.5 as it wouldn't max anything out, the spring tensioner would be doing its job instead of swallowing up some of the 53 belt using the 3.4 pulley. Like I said I rather be buying the belts from you guys so that means I LIKE YOU GUYS AND YOUR BUSINESS AND SERVICE so that should tell you something

But I don't understand your comment on not wanting your help or trust you or scott as I NEVER SAID ANYTHING LIKE THAT, TO YOU or KYLE, BOS, or anyone else alive. I like that I can shoot stuff to you guys and I get an answer so drop the gloves or I will box. I trust you guys completely, but I know what is going on with my set up. Scott forgets that bolt is the centerline of a 90mm idler so there is quite a bit of pulley(idler) below that centerline. But I guess my word as a customer isn't that great or the pics provided. So here is a pic or two....

Looks pretty close huh?

Well I can get my drivers liscense between the idler and the standoff. Like I said above I have it lowered to the max before hitting the standoff.

Now the view from the other side, you can see the idler bolt is still in the same place and if you look hard enough you can still see the white of the drivers lic.

Still looks like I have plenty of room to go down, but in actuality it doesn't have anymore room AT ALL or the belt/idler would be rubbing on that lower stand off.

But please don't dog on me anymore I will tolerate it once, I am a customer and have been a good one. I never said this set up doesn't work, but quite the contrary, I have given it nothing but praises from the day I have had it installed, dyno tested and track tested all while providing you with feedback.Nor did I post anything like that in this post. Just have some faith in what some customers tell you or write down, they might actually know a thing or two about their own set ups. You can guarantee if I say there is no room between the idler and standoff, THERE IS NO ROOM.

Yes the spring tensioner hits the stop when the belt is off, when the tensioner is at rest but it goes back to the 15 mark when I put the belt on. BTW future SDCE customers GET THE TOOL SCOTT MAKES its flat awesome and makes things a snap. I cannot crank the spring tensioner over anymore as I have it hitting the stop already, if it can go further let me know and I will get a cheater bar under there and crank away at it.

It isnt taken at the best angle but you can see it against the stop.

Now for the others Kyle shut up, I wasn't being mean

MstgKillr So does mine, never ever said it didn't, I said- I won't be able to say for myself if I get belt slip with the 3.4 and the 53 until I get to the dyno and then the track. Thats when I make a final comment on no slip or not with the 3.4/53 belt. Scott and Wendy have always helped me with any question I have and I never posted a question regarding their product at all in topic post I only posted my observation, I will have results friday.
J

Last edited by frcefed98; 06-17-2004 at 07:09 PM. Reason: Forgot to add a pic

Quick Reply: 3.4 pulley w/ SDCE 8 rib set up...