Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

another boost by gear thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2016, 07:50 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default another boost by gear thread

Okay so as I'm finishing up my build I've decided that I'm wanting to try and do boost by gear since it's going to be a turbo street car. I've been reading boost by gear posts on here but their all kinda old threads so here we go... Car is a six speed. 5.3 76mm. I have an e boost 2 and I guess my question is if Im able to fab up a bracket and run microswitches to 1st-4th gears , can my eboost use those signals to do a true boost by gear? I've heard the ams1000 could but I have no real experience with either. I have no problem with fabbing a small bracket adjustable and some microswitches to make this work. I'm guessing someone has done this before and doeast wanna share there secrets? maybe someone alresdy sells some kind of kit for this? haha any input is grestly appreciated. and I realize there's other ways to manage boost levels but this is what I've chosen would be best for me.
Old 04-15-2016, 07:36 AM
9 Second Club

Received 180 Likes on 155 Posts

True boost by gear means the controller knows what gear you are in at all times.

Clearly that will not be achievable with 4 boost levels and 6 gears. But it will come close if you rig up all the switches to make it work.

Apparently as you say some of the more expensive AMS options can offer boost by gear, not sure how they determine what gear is what. I see some of their units can hook up to OBD data...so as long as the controller knows driven wheel speed and engine rpm, gear can be calculated ( you'd need to tell it the ratios obviously )

Plex Tuning PBC boost controller does this too and offers true boost by gear or speed etc.

I think the old Apexi AVCR can do boost by gear too...but it's a nightmare to work with

But for your eboost2, you'll need to trigger a switch for each gear position you want a particular boost setting to apply to.
There was a user here ages ago that posted a picture of their gearstick with all the microswitches in place....nightmare.

I'm sure if someone had an arduino and knew what to do with it...could trigger 4 relays very easily based on rpm and/or vehicle speed to do the same thing without needing the actual switches on the stick etc.
Old 04-15-2016, 09:05 AM
On The Tree

appreciate the input stevie. I have no problem running microswitches to 1st-4th and im not worried about 5th or 6th gear as I don't plan to run 150mph on the streets ever haha. I'm thought I remembered someone on here on an old post saying they ran actual switches for each gear but I couldn't find it. and even if they failed at it that doesn't mean I will. I hear what your saying though about using a controller to read which gear I'm in but it doesn't seem that any are really easily usable for a tr6060 and my current pcm. my experience with e boost 2 isn't much, so I guess I need to figure out if it can be configured to work with a switching signal for gears 1-4. I'm betting someone on here has done this..
Old 04-15-2016, 09:14 AM
9 Second Club

As already said, someone here has done it before.

If it's only drag racing, 1-4 always going upwards the other options is the sequential switching of boost stages much the same as AMS and Leash claim for their boost by gear setups.

ie a clutch activated switch simply triggers each next stage. I think a longer press of the pedal resets back to stage 1 again.

Obviously a much easier install.
Old 04-15-2016, 09:22 AM
TECH Addict

Received 604 Likes on 443 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by stevieturbo
Apparently as you say some of the more expensive AMS options can offer boost by gear, not sure how they determine what gear is what. I see some of their units can hook up to OBD data...so as long as the controller knows driven wheel speed and engine rpm, gear can be calculated ( you'd need to tell it the ratios obviously )
i have a AMS1000 that i used in boost by gear mode, i am probably the person you guys are referring to.
the AMS1000 is designed to work with a motorcycle type gear position switch(GPS) which is just a resistor divider network so it gets a different 0-5v voltage per gear. you can set voltage thresholds to specify gear.

i built mine so it had boost settings in 1-4 gears and would not make boost in 5th and 6th. it worked very well, and nobody would guess the switches were in place in normal day to day use.

Old 04-15-2016, 09:23 AM
9 Second Club

A few seconds with google

https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-in...d-mapping.html

https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-in...gear-help.html
Old 04-15-2016, 09:25 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by TrendSetter
i have a AMS1000 that i used in boost by gear mode. it is designed to work with a motorcycle type gear position switch(GPS) which is just a resistor divider network so it gets a different 0-5v voltage per gear. you can set voltage thresholds to specify gear.

i built mine so it had boost settings in 1-4 gears and would not make boost in 5th and 6th. it worked very well.

I'm glad my ecu makes it all so easy without all that crap ! lol
Old 04-15-2016, 09:28 AM
TECH Addict

LS1Tech 10 Year

ie a clutch activated switch simply triggers each next stage. I think a longer press of the pedal resets back to stage 1 again.
I believe this is how the leash handles boost by gear, and it would be fine from a stop but for driving around it would never know what gear you are actually in. you need some form of real feedback via shifter switches like i did, or a vss/rpm calculator like the arduino example you mentioned earlier.
Old 04-15-2016, 09:32 AM
TECH Addict

LS1Tech 10 Year

I'm glad my ecu makes it all so easy without all that crap ! lol
four switches, some resistors and a few wires is hardly a lot of crap, especially compared to the cost of going holley over a 0411.
Old 04-15-2016, 09:33 AM
9 Second Club

Pretty much every aftermarket ecu will offer the gear calc via vss/rpm, although I guess with some auto's this may be a little less clear ?

For a manual, it is by far the easiest way. I really do not understand why all boost controllers dont offer it, or speed based boost. Especially given the price of some controllers.

I know nothing about arduinos, but it's something I'd like to learn as they're bound to be useful items. You could probably build a boost controller from one, nevermind something to trigger switches to tell a controller what gear you're in.
Old 04-15-2016, 09:36 AM
9 Second Club

four switches, some resistors and a few wires is hardly a lot of crap, especially compared to the cost of going holley over a 0411.
AND the price of your boost controller.

Whilst I dont use MS myself, there's little doubt you could buy a Megasquirt ecu and use it for boost control only...and it'd be cheaper than some of the expensive boost controlelrs that arent easily doing the job in the first place.
Although no idea how good or bad MS boost control is, or what it really offers. Some say it's good so maybe it is.

But same applies to any ecu really.
Old 04-15-2016, 09:43 AM
TECH Addict

LS1Tech 10 Year

Pretty much every aftermarket ecu will offer the gear calc via vss/rpm, although I guess with some auto's this may be a little less clear ?
this is how my evo9 pcm does it and it seems to work well.

For a manual, it is by far the easiest way. I really do not understand why all boost controllers dont offer it, or speed based boost. Especially given the price of some controllers.
i agree, i did the boost by gear only after i couldnt figure out a reasonable method to get boost by mph. it doesnt seem like a very difficult thing to accomplish when building a boost controller, and it seems like a feature that would be desirable for many users.

I know nothing about arduinos, but it's something I'd like to learn as they're bound to be useful items. You could probably build a boost controller from one, nevermind something to trigger switches to tell a controller what gear you're in.
theyre great, i built a custom board based on the arduino that manages turning on all my pumps and fans and such, and it uses tps and map voltage to enable boost scramble and wot operation. its a pretty slick setup.
Old 04-15-2016, 10:58 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

i have a AMS1000 that i used in boost by gear mode, i am probably the person you guys are referring to.
the AMS1000 is designed to work with a motorcycle type gear position switch(GPS) which is just a resistor divider network so it gets a different 0-5v voltage per gear. you can set voltage thresholds to specify gear.

i built mine so it had boost settings in 1-4 gears and would not make boost in 5th and 6th. it worked very well, and nobody would guess the switches were in place in normal day to day use.

Best looking "crap" i have seen all day. Cool setup.
Old 04-15-2016, 11:10 AM
On The Tree

this is exactly the info I was looking for. thank you gentleman. pm sent
Old 08-04-2016, 12:33 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default eBoost2 boost by MPH (simulated boost by gear/staged boost)

I know this is an old thread but in case someone searches I thought I should post here.

The Lingenfelter STOV-004 VSS controlled switch now has staged output mode similar to but improved over what the STOV-002 offered. This allows the STOV-004 to output a stage/gear activation output to boost controllers like the eBoost2 and the AMS1000 so that you can have MPH based boost control.

Although not exactly the same as boost by gear since the STOV-004 can't tell that you have actually made a gear change, it does allow you to set different boost levels at different vehicle speeds that would normally correlate to a particular gear.

The instructions for the product can be found here:

http://www.lingenfelter.com/PDFdownloads/L460340004.pdf

Originally Posted by boostedxs
Okay so as I'm finishing up my build I've decided that I'm wanting to try and do boost by gear since it's going to be a turbo street car. I've been reading boost by gear posts on here but their all kinda old threads so here we go... Car is a six speed. 5.3 76mm. I have an e boost 2 and I guess my question is if Im able to fab up a bracket and run microswitches to 1st-4th gears , can my eboost use those signals to do a true boost by gear? I've heard the ams1000 could but I have no real experience with either. I have no problem with fabbing a small bracket adjustable and some microswitches to make this work. I'm guessing someone has done this before and doeast wanna share there secrets? maybe someone alresdy sells some kind of kit for this? haha any input is grestly appreciated. and I realize there's other ways to manage boost levels but this is what I've chosen would be best for me.

Quick Reply: another boost by gear thread