Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

how are you guys putting a -8 bung in turbo inlet for catch can?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2016, 12:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default how are you guys putting a -8 bung in turbo inlet for catch can?

Im routing my MM catch can. Im going to run the -8 to a bung on the turbo inlet like the instructions show. I have a s480 with race cover. Its 5.5 inches. Ive thought about getting a thing piece of aluminum to bolt in between the filter and turbo. If anyone has pics on how they did theirs. That would be awsome. Thanks!

Last edited by chub406; 04-21-2016 at 01:00 AM.
Old 04-21-2016, 08:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

Anyone?? I know lots of guys run catch cans. Someones got to have it set up like that. Lol
Old 04-21-2016, 10:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 526 Likes on 356 Posts

if you're speed density you don't need to run it to the inlet. any filtered air would work.

you could totally tee it into a spacer before the turbo like you are saying.
Old 04-21-2016, 10:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

How would that make a diference if speed density? The turbo inet is my only filtered in air source, right? That confused me. Lol Im going from the oil fill to the can. Can to the turbo inlet. Thats what the instructions show and how mighty mouse said to hook it up. Ive seen guys thread it into the plastic end of the air filter. I dont like that. Any suggestions on where or what to use for the spacer? Have to be able to clamp it to the turbo and clamp the filter on the other end.
Old 04-21-2016, 10:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

i'm not familiar with the MM set up. I'll share with you my preferred set up.

it's similar to the stock set up where "clean" air is drawn in from the inlet tract ahead of the throttle body but after the MAF. that way air that enters the PCV system is metered.

it goes into one valve cover, through the crank case, carrying any unwanted blowby gasses out through the "dirty side" valve cover. some LS's use a restrictor here, some a check valve. from there it's drawn into the intake after the throttle body where a vacuum exists at idle and part throttle.

i prefer to put the can after the "dirty" side valve cover, to catch an oil before it goes into the intake.

i mentioned speed density, because you do not have to worry about unmetered air bypassing the maf with SD
Old 04-21-2016, 11:18 PM
TECH Apprentice

I see what you are saying. Thank you for the info.
Im running mine as a draft can.
Just one dirty side. Clean side to turbo. They have the filter and check valve built into the can. All other air sources are blocked off except the oil fill in the valve cover.
Old 04-22-2016, 10:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

I have a MM can and my fresh air source is just a small filter located on the end of my hose to the valley cover. have about 6k miles on this setup and doesnt burn a drop of oil and the only thing I catch in my can is a little condensation
Old 04-22-2016, 10:20 AM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You can run a small piece of tube with a bung welded on it and tap in right at the compressor inlet.
Old 04-22-2016, 12:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

You would have to run a check valve in between the valley cover and filter otherwise in boost. They both are the dirty side then, wouldnt they? Lol or are you running the clean side of the catch can to it?
Im trying to see how other people have done exactly that. I dont think there is enough room though to tap it and get the filter on to clamp it down. Theres not much room.
Old 04-22-2016, 02:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

http://static.wixstatic.com/media/dd...0_0.00_jpg_srz

Look at this link. Instead of running from valley cover to compressor inlet, i ran to a separate small filter (about the size of a filter for a valve cover).

The last turbo filer I used allowed me to drill and tap a hole and I ran a hose from the valley cover to the end of the filter just like the pic.

I am running SD by the way.
Old 04-23-2016, 03:23 AM
8 Second Truck Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Just out of curiosity, has anyone ever logged the can to see if tapping into the chargers inlet is really helping to make a depression in the can?
Old 04-23-2016, 06:43 AM
TECH Apprentice

I see. Those instructions are dor the pcv can. I have the draft can.
The way I was explained is during normal driving. The turbo isnt spinning fast enough to create more vacuum than the motor. So it acts like a normal breather. When you get into boost. Its spinning fast enough to shut the valve and actually pull crank case pressure while of course its being forced in by the turbo.
There is a guy here that did a youtube video. He is running e85 like me. He had a ton of water/oil in the can after a short while.
The physics behind it make sense. Im still looking for examples of how people have set theirs up. Id like to weld it. Might end up getting a rubber coupler and drill a hole in it. Tighten the bulk hed and epoxy. That would be a last resort.
Old 04-24-2016, 02:05 AM
8 Second Truck Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

If trying to create a vacuum by putting a line at the front entry of the volute...........has anyone seen any issues with the thing working good enough to suck oil vapors into the inlet of the turbo or blower? That could create some issues with detonation if it was significant enough.
Old 04-24-2016, 10:14 AM
TECH Apprentice

I wouldnt see how its any different than when going back to the intake just like stock. If the catch can is working properly, its going to seperate the oil/air like its suppose to and not be putting it back into the motor or turbo. Its not going to get 100% im sure. Its there to help keep as much oil out as it can, from recirculating back in. Not a fix for crazy amounts of blow by. Im no expert by any means. You can pm Mighty Mouse. He is the expert and great guy to deal with.
I know there are lots of ways of hooking them up. Not trying to argue one way or another. Just looking for examples of how other people did theres when hoing to the inlet of the turbo.
Old 04-24-2016, 12:11 PM
TECH Addict

Received 185 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by Blown06
If trying to create a vacuum by putting a line at the front entry of the volute...........has anyone seen any issues with the thing working good enough to suck oil vapors into the inlet of the turbo or blower? That could create some issues with detonation if it was significant enough.
Also, I'd like to know what kind of vacuum you're seeing having a line to the turbo entry. Seems like it'd be awful tough to pull a vacuum through a non sealed space. Be like trying to use a straw filled with holes above the fluid level.
Old 04-24-2016, 12:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

The turbo is the only filtered air in source.you would get a venturi affect like a carb. Is how I understand it. It comes into play when it boost. Once you get the inlet spinning past 0 vacuum. Its pulling the crank case pressure. It has a valve built in that closes off the breather when in boost. Directing straight through the can. Thats how I understand it.
Any of you have anytype of extention in between the turbo and filter? Still looking for examples. Lol
Old 04-24-2016, 06:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Amazon.com: Silicone Port System: Automotive Amazon.com: Silicone Port System: Automotive

this company makes a buncha stuff that ought to work.
Old 04-24-2016, 06:32 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So I routed mine probably similar to the way you are looking to do it. I did not want or seem to have the room to tap into the turbo inlet so I went into the metal end of a K&N filter. The car is being tuned at the moment so I can not comment on how it works under boost but this may be another option for you. I hope the picture shows up

Old 04-24-2016, 07:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by truckdoug
Amazon.com: Silicone Port System: Automotive

this company makes a buncha stuff that ought to work.
Thank you! That looks like exactley what i was talking about. I will take a look at those. See if they have big enough and also interested in metal ones if they have it. That at least gives me an option Ive been looking for!
Old 04-24-2016, 09:45 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by JMD759
So I routed mine probably similar to the way you are looking to do it. I did not want or seem to have the room to tap into the turbo inlet so I went into the metal end of a K&N filter. The car is being tuned at the moment so I can not comment on how it works under boost but this may be another option for you. I hope the picture shows up

Thank you for the pic and info! I thought about doing that as well. I just dont like the way its directly pointed at it with solid metal around it. Idk if it makes any difference but my thinking is it is better to have it like the pic above where the air is passing past it.

Quick Reply: how are you guys putting a -8 bung in turbo inlet for catch can?