Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

MLS, Copper, etc

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2016, 02:58 PM
9 Second Club

Received 179 Likes on 154 Posts

Default MLS, Copper, etc

Again, it's just an article to have a nosey at. The thread doesnt need to start talking about axles or something similarly completely irrelevant.

http://www.enginelabs.com/engine-tec...ls-and-copper/
Old 04-21-2016, 06:31 PM
TECH Regular

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by stevieturbo
Again, it's just an article to have a nosey at. The thread doesnt need to start talking about axles or something similarly completely irrelevant.

http://www.enginelabs.com/engine-tec...ls-and-copper/
The article quoted someone from Borowski Race Engines. Hey, that is not too far from AES Racing. I hear that they do some righteous work.
Old 04-22-2016, 04:48 AM
9 Second Club

MLS gaskets really work superbly...but one thing they do mention and many have experienced...is the blow torch effect.

I had always put that down to bad tuning, detonation etc etc..but the more it seems to happen, it does just seem to be that if you blow a MLS HG on an alloy platform, that aluminium stands a good chance of getting torched.

Whereas any soft metal gasket just seems to blow and absorb all the damage instead.
Old 04-22-2016, 06:55 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

very informative article and straight to the point on alot of facts. comes right back to what most of us already know as far as the MLS gaskets are concerned. and they pretty much shot down the whole using of gasket sealer with mls. also the ability of a copper gasket to somewhat "recover" makes sense to me. I hadn't realized their using copper on top fuel either. nice find
Old 04-22-2016, 01:17 PM
8 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very good article thank you for sharing. I personally have had no head gasket failures using LS9 up to 26psi. I install them dry but on a few I reused them and coated them. They seem to not like the coating in the article but having boosted used ls9s with copper spray on them to 20+ i would say it still works.

What do you think about the statement that more layers is not necessarily better? In the LSX community with so many having good luck with the ls9 its hard not to have the thought that more is better.

I would love to see more information about the newish trend of the gaskets like the cometic mlx with the stopper layer integrated.

We are trying the MLX on my new 427 that will be seeing around 30-35psi from s476s here in a few weeks.

http://www.cometic.com/catalogs/autodomestic.pdf

http://www.cometic.com/automotive-gaskets.aspx
Old 04-22-2016, 04:21 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by ablakez28

What do you think about the statement that more layers is not necessarily better? In the LSX community with so many having good luck with the ls9 its hard not to have the thought that more is better.
That's only because people are misinterpreting the coincidence the LS9 has more layers and it works well, rather than it being the design of those layers that makes it work well

I've used MLS on other engines with as low as 3 layers, and as many as 7 layers....they all work superbly. Just the ones with more layers were much thicker as required to get correct piston to head clearance etc
Old 04-23-2016, 12:29 PM
8 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by stevieturbo
That's only because people are misinterpreting the coincidence the LS9 has more layers and it works well, rather than it being the design of those layers that makes it work well

I've used MLS on other engines with as low as 3 layers, and as many as 7 layers....they all work superbly. Just the ones with more layers were much thicker as required to get correct piston to head clearance etc
That is what they are saying in the article. Felpro does not agree it seems?
http://www.hotrod.com/how-to/engine/...-head-gaskets/
Old 04-23-2016, 01:20 PM
9 Second Club

Yet strangely when I mentioned FelPro and their stopper design ( Which Cosworth use and I believe the LS9 also uses ), some members either here or YB, cant recall which but they said the FelPro's were *****.

Certainly at SEMA or PRI when they first came out a few years ago, they were spouting lots of blurb about them, I tried to buy a set from a couple of places but to no avail.
They just seemed to disappear after that though

but it comes down to same thing, it's the makeup of the layers more so than actual number. You could probably squeeze 10 layers in on a lot of gaskets...but they dont do that either.

Quick Reply: MLS, Copper, etc