Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Procharged 396 LTX (built by ellwein)

Old 05-31-2016, 05:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 57 Likes on 51 Posts

Badass build! The LTX community will appreciate it. It's nice to see someone not hold out and go ***** to the wall with quality parts in a build.

Op, your engine bay looks super clean and well taken care of. Do you have pics of your entire car and interior?

Also, I'm not happy to hear about Ai's customer service. I plan on pulling the trigger myself and getting their Trick Flow H/C/I next month unless they convince me to go with their stock 200cc, but I doubt they will. I'll find out about their customer service myself soon enough.

Last edited by 383z; 06-02-2016 at 12:15 AM.
Old 05-31-2016, 09:11 PM
Launching!

Location: Weatherford Tx 76085 corner of N. Hwy 51 and 150 Green branch Rd.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice! Keep it up! Yea LS make more power but you have a hybrid. I like to tell people how bad of a motor the LT1 is and then they look under my hood and see what I'm packing and they are scratching their head and asking how much power I'm putting down again lol. I think you'll hit 700 if not pretty close given that the blower will probably be maxed out. My F1r old setup was pullied with a 4.5 with 7.65 crank with smaller cam pushing just under 15psi. Keep us posted.
Old 05-31-2016, 10:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Hopefully you have better luck than me. I had a built lt1 with 12 psi and it ended up looking like your motor did when you took it out. I went LS after.
Old 05-31-2016, 10:35 PM
Launching!

Location: Weatherford Tx 76085 corner of N. Hwy 51 and 150 Green branch Rd.

It's all about how they tune it and quality bottom end. The 24x conversion is king. It'll do just fine.
Old 05-31-2016, 11:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Totally subscribed to this build thread. It is refreshing to see an LT1 thread in this forum. Not sure if I missed it, but what went into your decision to go 396? That would be my dream build, not to mention having Ellwein's name on it.
Old 06-01-2016, 12:55 PM
SRZ
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Nice build and parts. Don't worry, I get the same grief from a guy down here w/ the whole LSx swap. To each their own but some folk just can't accept or respect an owners decision to do what THEY do. It's this or it's that, old, antiquated can do more with less on a LSx build/swap blah blah blah. LOL Just bust their *** on the street or on the track is my way of answering that bullshit. And I own a Z06 too.

See you are in J-Ville. Nice! You'll hit 700rwhp or damn close to it I'd think w/ 15psi.
Old 06-08-2016, 12:23 PM
12 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Very nice setup you're going to have. I'm interested to see what numbers it puts out. I'm glad there's more then a few of us still beating on the LT1s.

We did a D1SC on a H/C LT1 car with 24X and got 630rwhp on the stock bottom end. The customer doesn't drive the car really ever (10k miles on a 97 SS) so realistically it should last a while, however I believe he already has plans to do a bottom end late this year or early next.
Old 06-17-2016, 08:31 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 396

Originally Posted by Evaporate
Totally subscribed to this build thread. It is refreshing to see an LT1 thread in this forum. Not sure if I missed it, but what went into your decision to go 396? That would be my dream build, not to mention having Ellwein's name on it.
Karl Ellwein decided for me on the 396ci, He says with the 6" Rods and custom diamond pistons there will be less "side load" and will effectively live longer.
Old 06-17-2016, 08:32 PM
Staging Lane

Default Hold together....

Originally Posted by jasonz28camaro
Hopefully you have better luck than me. I had a built lt1 with 12 psi and it ended up looking like your motor did when you took it out. I went LS after.
Well...let's hope not. Callies Dragonslayer crank is a pretty stout piece, so are the Callies Ultra I beam Rods, and the diamond custom pistons should all hold up well. I would say at this point the block is the weak link. Also Karl Ellwein is a master engine builder, and my tuner has many years experience tuning. Should be good to go.

Last edited by 97SSD1; 06-17-2016 at 09:10 PM.
Old 06-17-2016, 08:35 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 383z
Badass build! The LTX community will appreciate it. It's nice to see someone not hold out and go ***** to the wall with quality parts in a build.

Op, your engine bay looks super clean and well taken care of. Do you have pics of your entire car and interior?

Also, I'm not happy to hear about Ai's customer service. I plan on pulling the trigger myself and getting their Trick Flow H/C/I next month unless they convince me to go with their stock 200cc, but I doubt they will. I'll find out about their customer service myself soon enough.
Thanks! I have been building this car for 10+ years little bit by little bit and just never got around to doing anything to the motor cuz it only had 40k miles on it. I do have some pictures of my car somewhere, I will have to track up down on my computer.

Karl gave me the heads up from the beginning their customer service is sub par, and they take for frickin ever and don't communicate. Ultimately they produce a flawless product...so as long as you can wait and don't mind not having any say in your heads/cam/valvetrain combo and just leave it in their hands then you're good.
Old 06-17-2016, 08:47 PM
Staging Lane

Default Latest and Greatest

Latest and Greatest on the build! I took a drive up to Maryland with the Tahoe to watch the engine on the (engine)dyno then take delivery.
The engine made a solid 526hp and 511ft/lbs with a carb'd intake, 750 carb, distributor with no tuning, just a preset 35degrees of timing. Not the ideal setup for this "blower motor" as it needs the forced air up top to make power. None the less its making some decent N/A hp for the setup.

Last edited by 97SSD1; 06-17-2016 at 09:00 PM.
Old 06-19-2016, 06:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thats damn good NA power, especially for the intake that is pictured... With a real intake and carb, you would have made over 550-575hp easy...But I understand this was just a break in/test run.

That being said, assuming your LT4 intake/TB isnt too restrictive, I don't see why you wouldnt make 750 rwhp + out of a maxed out D1sc... (probably more like 800 rwhp depending on your drivetrain loss).. The air hat/filter thing will be the killer for you on the street.

Really cool build, I'm sub'd for final results.

Us old school guys still love SBCs..... We have NA SBCs running around here that kill boosted LS motors...
Old 06-20-2016, 07:47 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by ajrothm
Thats damn good NA power, especially for the intake that is pictured... With a real intake and carb, you would have made over 550-575hp easy...But I understand this was just a break in/test run.

That being said, assuming your LT4 intake/TB isnt too restrictive, I don't see why you wouldnt make 750 rwhp + out of a maxed out D1sc... (probably more like 800 rwhp depending on your drivetrain loss).. The air hat/filter thing will be the killer for you on the street.

Really cool build, I'm sub'd for final results.

Us old school guys still love SBCs..... We have NA SBCs running around here that kill boosted LS motors...

I feel like it had more in it as well. The Carb was the dyno shops **** of carbs, it goes on all the engines. The friggin thing wouldnt even idle down past 1300RPMs. And the intake pictured is just the standard GMPP LT1 carb intake.
Tuning capability from the LS PCM is key. And I have a fantastic tuner down here in FL.
My intake is a ported LT1 unit from Advanced Induction and the TB is the Arizona Speeed and Marine Monoblade.
I plan on running 15-16psi out of the D1, and down the road upgrading to an F series blower and front mount intercooler.
Drivetrain is a Mcleod twin disc clutch, D&D Viper Spec'd T56, PST 3.5" Driveshaft, Moser 9".

I love the SBC as well, I have a 98 2-Door Tahoe straight axle swapped on 38s with the 5.7 Vortec and I have put a RAM JET intake on that, LS PCM, coil per plug, headers, etc. I have a 4bolt main 355, cam'd 11.3:1 CR waiting to go in it (once I finish the Camaro project).
Old 06-25-2016, 04:15 PM
Staging Lane

Default Hitting a hurdle

Welllll, down to the nitty gritty stuff. so my hub does not fit in the area it is supposed to on the reluctor wheel when pressed all the way in. If you reference the picture here, It is supposed to reside on the green area (where normal LT1 hub would rest). Instead the way my BBC hub fits, it rests on the outside (red circle). I am having a machinist but a chamfer on the hub to make it sit perfectly in the reluctor wheel. I also have to get the procharger spacer machined, after this gets all done so I can take measurements(again). A little set back, but it will be perfect in the end...I have been working on my front suspension assembling the BMR kmember, tubular upper/lower control arms, BMR C5 brake conversion, new struts/springs, etc, etc...will post pictures of that later on.

24x Double Roller reluctor wheel
Old 07-03-2016, 03:01 PM
Staging Lane

Default Front suspension

Mocking up front suspension....basically new everything except for steering rack/pump, spindles and upper a arm mounts (which were blasted&painted). Going with C5 Z06 front brakes.

Mocked up

Old 07-03-2016, 05:41 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Keep us updated on the progress. Looking good so far!
Old 07-11-2016, 02:57 PM
Staging Lane

Got everything back from the machine shop and have perfect belt alignment for accessories, and most importantly the blower.

Waiting for ARP hardware...

Last edited by 97SSD1; 07-12-2016 at 01:14 PM.
Old 07-11-2016, 03:56 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Looking really good! Bob

PM's disabled, please e-mail me
E-mail: brutespeed@gmail.comob@brutespeed.com

https://brutespeed.com/ Link to website

Old 07-12-2016, 01:58 AM
8 Second Truck Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Is that hub for a sbc crank with a bbc snout? ****** is beefy.
Old 07-12-2016, 01:16 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Blown06
Is that hub for a sbc crank with a bbc snout? ****** is beefy.
It is a BBC diameter hub designed to work with a sbc crank snout. Had to get a custom timing cover made to make it all work....and the have the hub machined to work with the reluctant wheel....finally got it all sorted out I believe though.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Procharged 396 LTX (built by ellwein)