Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Procharged 396 LTX (built by ellwein)

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2016, 08:38 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bob@BruteSpeed
Congratulations on getting your car fired up!! I know it's been a long ordeal for you! Bob
Yeaaahhh mann! I'm really hoping I can bring the car back to Jacksonville over leave period in two weeks to get it tuned on the dyno so I can actually drive it.
Old 01-02-2017, 09:26 PM
Staging Lane

Default Be Cool Radiator

Here's the totally customized ("direct fit")Be Cool radiator with procharger fan shroud and Spal 16" 4000cfm fan. The problem I ran into is the fan/shroud was contacting the electric water pump and the huge procharger lower pulley, which required me to pull the radiator forward, once that happened then I found out (the hardway) the hood wouldn't close. Got the original cap area welded closed and ended up doing an "in-line" radiator cap. Then custom straps got made up to hold it in place.

For trying to wrap this project up and get it to the dyno in my free time I sure did spend a LOT of time messing around with this. More to follow, so progress is better than no progress.
Old 01-02-2017, 10:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 57 Likes on 51 Posts

I thought you were going to stop your build, but I'm glad to see that your still moving forward.
Looking good! I can't wait to see a video of the whole and hear it.
Old 01-28-2017, 02:59 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 383z
I thought you were going to stop your build, but I'm glad to see that your still moving forward.
Looking good! I can't wait to see a video of the whole and hear it.
I had to take a pause and move the car from Jacksonville FL to Pensacola FL, I'm doing military training in Biloxi, MS throughout the week and work on the car here and there in a storage unit on the weekends, time has been hard to find, but I'm nearing the end finally. Got the car fired up the other day, got some last minute adjustments to make and my new tentative date to get on the dyno is mid March. Theennnnn the car gets to make the long haul up to Maryland.
Old 01-30-2017, 12:17 AM
Super Hulk Smash

Received 137 Likes on 114 Posts

Ah in Pensacola? Nice. Hope you get it all buttoned up.
Old 01-30-2017, 05:23 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To start with, thank you for your service! That's a good looking build. Not too many guys are still sticking with the Lt but glad to see you are. Looking forward to the results!
95 Pontiac Formula- Stock engine with ATI Procharger, Moser 12 bolt w/4:30 gears, Rossler trans, Neil Chance 4000 stall, M/T ET streets, 10.914@ 121.90mph, 1.452 60ft. GMHTP November 2010 Feature Car. Check it out at:
https://www.motortrend.com/features/...ebird-formula/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abZ1z...ature=youtu.be

Old 02-07-2017, 02:43 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Jon@BruteSpeed
To start with, thank you for your service! That's a good looking build. Not too many guys are still sticking with the Lt but glad to see you are. Looking forward to the results!
I appreciate that! Believe it or not I have been following your car for quite some years. I have been buying suspension and engine parts from your brother Bob for years, way back to when it was EPP. I was following your thread on your engine build also, hows it coming?
I think the LT1 its a nostalgia thing, its the engine that came in the car, and while it hasn't been as easy as building an LS car, I believe it will be very fun to drive making similar HP #s as an LS car while being unique. Everyone has an LS, I just like the old school small block! I have a hopped up L31 Vortec engine in my 98 tahoe, and just love it(Its got LS coils and PCM too).
I have a dyno date setup in Jacksonville for the 13th of March, hoping to have it all come together then and see around 750rwhp w/ my maxxed out D1 and methanol system. Next year going to step it up to the F1A and front mount intercooler and really push it.
Old 02-07-2017, 04:10 PM
Staging Lane

If anyone wants to check out the video of the Engine Dyno, here it is. Hopefully have Chassis Dyno footage soon.
Old 02-09-2017, 10:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

526! Very Nice! It should be a beast when your done. How much boost you plan on running?
Old 02-09-2017, 10:53 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by SwampWS6
526! Very Nice! It should be a beast when your done. How much boost you plan on running?
Not too shabby with fairly low compression and a mild street blower cam, also the LT1 dual plane intake and shop 750carb, no A/F or timing adjustments.

I have the D1SC maxxed out pulley wise, so whatever it makes it makes. I'd love to see anything over 15psi, hopefully 16-17, but I think the CNC heads, and large diamter headers are going to get air in and out fairly quickly, so the actual boost number may not be as high as desired. We shall see. I do plan to go to an F1A down the road, with a nice custom FMIC setup. I was thinking 20PSI with the F1 and hoping for over 900rwhp once that setup is done. I'll be happy to be in the 700-750rwhp range with this setup.
Old 02-10-2017, 11:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 97SSD1
Not too shabby with fairly low compression and a mild street blower cam, also the LT1 dual plane intake and shop 750carb, no A/F or timing adjustments.

I have the D1SC maxxed out pulley wise, so whatever it makes it makes. I'd love to see anything over 15psi, hopefully 16-17, but I think the CNC heads, and large diamter headers are going to get air in and out fairly quickly, so the actual boost number may not be as high as desired. We shall see. I do plan to go to an F1A down the road, with a nice custom FMIC setup. I was thinking 20PSI with the F1 and hoping for over 900rwhp once that setup is done. I'll be happy to be in the 700-750rwhp range with this setup.
Very nice. I hope you hit your goals! I hope I can make it to 20psi with my setup and baby 226/226 cam. Hopefully with my weight and suspension setup I can make a great ET for the setup I have.
Old 02-10-2017, 11:34 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Good looking combination! I always respect a good LT build. Loved the 97 I had. Looks like a lot of nice red parts going on around it as well

Find a Quality alignment shop near you!
Old 03-02-2017, 10:20 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by BMR Sales2
Good looking combination! I always respect a good LT build. Loved the 97 I had. Looks like a lot of nice red parts going on around it as well
Thank you! Everything is Red BMR parts for suspension! Going to get the front end/ tubular k member aligned this week.
Old 03-02-2017, 10:24 AM
Staging Lane

Talking Date set!

Just an update, I have the car basically done. I'm going to get an alignment this week. I have a road tune, and dyno tune date setup for the 14th and 17th respectively. Still trying to find some last minute WELD RTs rear wheels either 17x11, or 15x10. Have both sets of brand new rear tires but weld is like 2 months out on wheels....
Old 03-14-2017, 10:55 PM
Staging Lane

Default Clutch issues!!!!

Bad luck strikes again, McLeod clutch adjustment didn't go so well, which has pushed me back another week on the dyno sessions. Apparently it's hit or miss with the fork contacting the pressure plate on the LT1 street twins (pull style throwout bearing). I unfortunately was one of the unlucky ones and now the trans is out fixing this issue.
I'm having to grind down the T stud, and check fitment which involes putting the trans back in the car, firing it up and checking to make sure the fork doesn't hit the pressure plate. If it does, pull trans back out and take more material off the T stud. NOT my idea of bolt it.....just to recap on my McLeod experience...kit did not include a pilot bushing or bearing in the kit, Did not include flywheel bolts. I had to grind down the clutch rod end heim joint to fit on the factory pedal. Now I have to pull the trans back out because the fork is hitting the pressure plate when you push the pedal all the way in. Oh yeah, installing the master cylinder involved pulling the brake booster up and out of the way and was a major PIA. All this before I have even driven it. So needless to say this thing better be well worth the effort!!!
Old 03-18-2017, 11:19 AM
Staging Lane

Got the car running and driving, so that's a plus. Still headed to get tuned next week. Here's a quick video of the car running. Sorry in advance for the crappy sound quality and the dirty car.
The following users liked this post:
Vicious95Z28 (10-20-2019)
Old 03-18-2017, 12:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 57 Likes on 51 Posts

Dirty car???
I'll show you a dirty car! Lol

Seriously, you have a sexy car. I guess I like it dirty
Old 03-18-2017, 11:41 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by 97SSD1
Got the car running and driving, so that's a plus. Still headed to get tuned next week. Here's a quick video of the car running. Sorry in advance for the crappy sound quality and the dirty car.https://youtu.be/sVa6pC2na3Y
good luck on the dyno!
Old 03-27-2017, 08:44 PM
Staging Lane

Default She Runs!!!!

Weeellllllllllll good news, and as always bad news to follow. I got the car all trailered up and ready for the 6hr drive to Jacksonville, FL from pensacola, FL. On my way over I find out the tuner has moved shops recently. Oohhhkkkk, but you're all still set up for me right? Yes is the answer.
I get over there annnndddd the dyno isn't set up. At all. Grreeaaaaaatttt.....sooo took the car off the trailer, jumped in and got fired up. Had tuner make some adjustments and went for a cruise to do some road tuning. Did a couple pulls and got the car to finally behave and haaauuullll asssss. No idea what kinda power it's making, didn't run it to redline(like 4500rpms), but it will instantly make 11lbs of Boost and set you back in the seat waaayyy more than the 475rwhp version of this car. I can't say the trip was a complete waste because I got the car to run and drive....but didn't get it on the dyno and never even messed with the methanol system. Day late, dollar short. I am headed to Maryland and will be figuring out the next step for this beast. She runs, she drives, she hauls ***, now to get max power with the meth systen. Entertaining picking up EFI Live/Roadrunner to do some data logging and tuning on my own and sending files back and forth to my tuner in Jax.
Old 04-25-2017, 06:47 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Hey, you need to update your location!!! I can vouch that his car is ridiculously clean.

Quick Reply: Procharged 396 LTX (built by ellwein)