Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Need some help with packaging

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2016, 07:12 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Need some help with packaging

Wondering if this has been done in a reasonable way for a 1989 Camaro to not 1) have a ton of extra weight forward of the front wheels and 2) have the turbos facing forward. Been looking at pictures for a long time and have a couple ideas that may not work: turbos back behind the K member by cylinders 5&7 and 6&8, next to the steering pump and tensioner, low down by the alternator and where the stock a/c unit would be, etc. I need the hive minds collective wisdom on this one.

Turbos are TB0348's and will be using piping of 2" for feeding the turbine and 1.75 (might go to 2) from the compressor to FMIC and 2.5 or 3 from FMIC to tb. The downpipes will likely be 2.5 or 2.75. It is essentially a clone of INTMD8's setup from a few years ago.

From my experimentation (mostly under the car with the bell housing mounted) it looks like the ideal mount wont work out.
Old 08-19-2016, 05:56 PM
9 Second Club

Received 179 Likes on 154 Posts

post a pic of the underside of the car
Old 08-21-2016, 07:20 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by stevieturbo
post a pic of the underside of the car
Its the same as every other thirdgen car. In any case, I have found that it will most likely not work in that location.
Old 08-26-2016, 07:08 AM
TECH Addict

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Keep in mind the LS conversion is quite a bit lighter than an all iron SBC, plus dropping AC pulls another 100lbs off the nose. Hanging a turbo or two up front wont really change the weight distribution after all those losses

Its true, there isnt as much room up front to mount then directly to the manifolds like old APS kits did, but thats not the only option
Old 09-02-2016, 01:59 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Pocket
Keep in mind the LS conversion is quite a bit lighter than an all iron SBC, plus dropping AC pulls another 100lbs off the nose. Hanging a turbo or two up front wont really change the weight distribution after all those losses

Its true, there isnt as much room up front to mount then directly to the manifolds like old APS kits did, but thats not the only option
I know pocket. I am glad you replied. You are quite good at visualizing the space that exists.

Just trying to optimize it the best I can. Thats a bit obsessive but oh well..haha. I'm looking to mod some truck manifolds in a way that they will fit (cut weld, etc). If I move the alternator I could put the turbos in the AC and Alt locations?
Old 09-02-2016, 05:45 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

I briefly considered doing twins down low like the APS kits on my 3rd gen. I went as far as taking dimensional drawings from a turbo manufacturer to see if they would even fit down there. I gave up when I came to the realization that it would be too much work to try and make it work. Plus I really didn't want to use a scavenge pump at all. I ended up doing a single front mount instead.
Old 09-02-2016, 07:17 AM
Staging Lane

I did a 3rd gen gen 1 small block twin turbo with the turbos high and front exhaust to the center air filters toward fender. car handles good and makes good power on a very mild engine .

try this link for a pic

http://s3.photobucket.com/user/turbo...tml?sort=3&o=7
Old 09-02-2016, 08:36 AM
8 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Wnts2Go10O
Its the same as every other thirdgen car. In any case, I have found that it will most likely not work in that location.
You're asking for people's help on packaging ideas but to busy to post up a pic of the engine bay/underside? Not everyone knows what the engine bay of a 3rd gen looks like. Help us help you.

There are some crafty people in this section.
Old 09-02-2016, 03:57 PM
TECH Veteran

Left, right, and center
Old 09-04-2016, 01:57 PM
TECH Addict

Id mock-up the turbos in various locations until you find spots that fit well

Most 3rd gen TT builds put on over each battery tray which kills alot of engine bay real estate. Maybe you can find something better

Dont be afraid to move the engine some. Ive had to reposition my last few builds for clearance
Old 09-04-2016, 03:02 PM
TECH Veteran

Id mock-up the turbos in various locations until you find spots that fit well

Most 3rd gen TT builds put on over each battery tray which kills alot of engine bay real estate. Maybe you can find something better

Dont be afraid to move the engine some. Ive had to reposition my last few builds for clearance

Yea they do. Plus all that weight is put in really bad spots in addition to all the plumbing to make that work.

I have seen. Your LS9 blower build is a very tight fit.
Old 09-04-2016, 05:35 PM
TECH Veteran

little update: that steering box setup is giving me fits...

I have an idea of where I can put the turbos its just that the steering gear is annoying to work around..lol.
Old 09-07-2016, 09:24 PM
TECH Addict

Swap in a rack?
Old 09-09-2016, 02:39 AM
TECH Veteran

Swap in a rack?
looking into it. looking for viable solutions that arent aftermarket and arent the subpar T-Bird rack.
Old 09-09-2016, 05:28 PM
TECH Addict

4th gen LS if you change spindles or just deal with having a shorter turning radius

I put a Fiero manual rack in one car and it fit nicely, but also suffered the reduced turning radius
Old 09-09-2016, 10:58 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 432 Likes on 307 Posts

Originally Posted by Wnts2Go10O
Wondering if this has been done in a reasonable way for a 1989 Camaro to not 1) have a ton of extra weight forward of the front wheels and 2) have the turbos facing forward. Been looking at pictures for a long time and have a couple ideas that may not work: turbos back behind the K member by cylinders 5&7 and 6&8, next to the steering pump and tensioner, low down by the alternator and where the stock a/c unit would be, etc. I need the hive minds collective wisdom on this one.

Turbos are TB0348's and will be using piping of 2" for feeding the turbine and 1.75 (might go to 2) from the compressor to FMIC and 2.5 or 3 from FMIC to tb. The downpipes will likely be 2.5 or 2.75. It is essentially a clone of INTMD8's setup from a few years ago.

From my experimentation (mostly under the car with the bell housing mounted) it looks like the ideal mount wont work out.
I would seriously rethink this entire build. Your original specs seem to indicate a desire to minimize fab work, but it seems you are already well past a bolt-on scenario. If you are going to be stuck with a cut and weld kind of build, don't compromise. Come up with a goal and just build the car around it.
Old 09-13-2016, 01:01 AM
TECH Veteran

4th gen LS if you change spindles or just deal with having a shorter turning radius

I put a Fiero manual rack in one car and it fit nicely, but also suffered the reduced turning radius
I have found a decent list of maybes:
Ford Explorer
Ford Explorer Sport Trac
WRX
STI
Silverado

The car is going to be a street car. The only spindles available are dangerous and the aftermarket cast ones are rarer than unicorn ****.

Quick Reply: Need some help with packaging