Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Scavenge pump contengincy...

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2016, 12:47 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts
Default Scavenge pump contengincy...

About two weeks ago, I was pulling into a fazolis (love the place!). Well, as I did so...my air dam scraped the raised entrance.....cutting my ground wire to my pump. Which led to me rigging it till I got home to fix it right. Kinda got me to thinking, at some point this pump WILL fail.....and I'm sure when it does I will be far from home. So I got to thinking, "maybe I should keep a spare pump in the trunk". Any of you guys paranoid like me, and keep a spare in the car at all times?
Old 09-27-2016, 12:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

The question is, how many bread sticks did you eat?
Old 09-27-2016, 12:54 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by svslow
The question is, how many bread sticks did you eat?
Don't know, kept eating them till I was sick lol. Then came out to a car that was smoking like a freight train
Old 09-27-2016, 04:23 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

do you mean keep it like just to replace the old one when it fails or have it actually working? I feel like actually working would be redundant, if you want to just keep a spare one to replace in the trunk I mean your car more power too you if you are that worried about it. Why would power being cut from it kill the pump though? well ground being cut but that removes power to it I assume since it cant get back and opens the system.
Old 09-27-2016, 04:44 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Ragna
do you mean keep it like just to replace the old one when it fails or have it actually working? I feel like actually working would be redundant, if you want to just keep a spare one to replace in the trunk I mean your car more power too you if you are that worried about it. Why would power being cut from it kill the pump though? well ground being cut but that removes power to it I assume since it cant get back and opens the system.
Yes, keeping a spare. Wire was caught between the air dam and the pump cutting it in half (freak one in a million type accidents). Was just looking to see if other people ride with a spare....just in case. Not actually installed in series, as in two pumps running at the same time.
Old 09-27-2016, 05:09 PM
On The Tree

I mean if you feel the need, but im just wondering if power is cut how will it break, it shouldn't even be working is my point. Or is it so low that it hits also when you bottom out?
Old 09-27-2016, 05:14 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Ragna
I mean if you feel the need, but im just wondering if power is cut how will it break, it shouldn't even be working is my point. Or is it so low that it hits also when you bottom out?
Negative wire was pinched in half....cutting Power to the pump. Pump is still fine, just had to rig it till I got home.
Old 09-27-2016, 05:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pump is fine. Turbo is bad.
Old 09-27-2016, 05:19 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by sbcgenII
I mean worst case but coulda happened, how much is another scavenge pump?
Old 09-27-2016, 05:31 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by sbcgenII
lol. Should have left out the issue I had at the restaurant. The pump and turbo are fine now....everything works. Was just looking to see who all keeps a spare pump in the car...uninstalled...so that they aren't stuck when the pump goes out. This question is more for street cars than anything. Being an electric pump.....it's just a matter of when it goes out....not if.
Old 09-27-2016, 07:11 PM
On The Tree

from my experience electronic stuff lasts longer than other stuff but ok lol.
Old 09-27-2016, 07:24 PM
9 Second Club

Received 179 Likes on 154 Posts

In the back of my mind I want a spare pump....but it's expensive to have just sitting there.

I dont carry spare fuel pumps, oil pumps, water pumps, methanol pump...or indeed many other parts.

So really it doesnt make a lot of sense to want to carry a spare scavenge pump.
Old 09-27-2016, 07:28 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by stevieturbo
In the back of my mind I want a spare pump....but it's expensive to have just sitting there.

I dont carry spare fuel pumps, oil pumps, water pumps, methanol pump...or indeed many other parts.

So really it doesnt make a lot of sense to want to carry a spare scavenge pump.
I agree...somewhat. Only thing is, oil pump...fuel pump are hard to change on the side of the road...and a methanol pump is completely unnecessary out of boost. But i get the gist of what you are saying.
Old 09-27-2016, 07:35 PM
9 Second Club

Point is, there are many other things that could cause a breakdown...but we dont routinely carry spares.
The longer I run with the scavenge...the less sense it makes to want a spare as it proves to be reliable every time.

Of course, then I get paranoid about it getting older and maybe going to fail LOL.

They're expensive in the US ( for an Exa ), but by time I get one here and pay all duties etc....it's very very ******* expensive ! lol
Old 09-27-2016, 07:40 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by stevieturbo
Point is, there are many other things that could cause a breakdown...but we dont routinely carry spares.
The longer I run with the scavenge...the less sense it makes to want a spare as it proves to be reliable every time.

Of course, then I get paranoid about it getting older and maybe going to fail LOL.

They're expensive in the US ( for an Exa ), but by time I get one here and pay all duties etc....it's very very ******* expensive ! lol
With everything being so expensive over there, from gas...and other nesesary things, it makes me wonder if the payscale is higher in that region of the world.
Old 09-27-2016, 07:45 PM
9 Second Club

Far from it.

NI has about lowest pay in the whole of the UK, London would be highest although cost of living there is insane.
Old 10-01-2016, 09:13 AM
Launching!

Maybe keep a spare at the house instead of in the back of the car.
Old 10-01-2016, 01:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 526 Likes on 356 Posts

i used to carry all sorts of spare stuff. tools, parts, fluids etc...now I just have a credit card that comes with free AAA towing up to 100 miles.
Old 10-01-2016, 02:01 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by truckdoug
i used to carry all sorts of spare stuff. tools, parts, fluids etc...now I just have a credit card that comes with free AAA towing up to 100 miles.
AAA did cross my mind. Especially after I broke my rear end at the track last night. Thread is in drag racing results. Guess I shouldn't have been worried about the scavenge pump.
Old 10-01-2016, 02:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 526 Likes on 356 Posts

its totally worth it.

Quick Reply: Scavenge pump contengincy...