Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Turbo choice

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2016, 03:28 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbo choice

Ok so im running a lc9 5.3 and im trying to figure out what turbo to go with im thinking of doing twin precision 6062's because I already have them or if I should do a single precision 76mm. Any advice would be helpful im trying to get to atleast 900hp!
Old 10-13-2016, 07:28 PM
On The Tree

more depends if u want a twin setup or single I guess? shouldn't have too much turbo lag either way. Im throwing twin 70mm magnum turbos on a 5.3 and I shouldn't have that much of a lag issue as long as I get a good cam and tune. A lot of it is in tuning now adays.
Old 10-13-2016, 07:34 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

Unless you just have money to throw away, I would ditch the twins concept. And just go with the single precision 7675. It will make 900rwhp by itself. And not have all the hassle of all the extras that come with twins.
Old 10-13-2016, 07:39 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Game ova
Unless you just have money to throw away, I would ditch the twins concept. And just go with the single precision 7675. It will make 900rwhp by itself. And not have all the hassle of all the extras that come with twins.
dude has a point, my headache got far worse when I bought this kit instead of getting the on3 kit..like the fact I spent a extra 1k on it over a brand new on3 kit, and I gotta relocate my battery, oil feed and drain lines..yada...yada...might sell this kit and go back to my original idea but I bought this kit to keep my exhaust I have on the car so idk.
Old 10-14-2016, 06:50 AM
Teching In

OK this is going in a gen3 Camaro back half car so I have a lot of room to work with but I was leaning towards doing a single turbo but the going with a big single turbo is really expensive upwards ok 4k for just the turbo for the right turbo and i wasn't sure If running big turbo will cause a lot of lag
Old 10-14-2016, 12:06 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ls3fbody
OK this is going in a gen3 Camaro back half car so I have a lot of room to work with but I was leaning towards doing a single turbo but the going with a big single turbo is really expensive upwards ok 4k for just the turbo for the right turbo and i wasn't sure If running big turbo will cause a lot of lag
Twin turbos and single big turbo work the same, people just use twin turbos to avoid the size constraint in some cars to make one big, basically my twin turbos = 1 big one. Thats how its suppose to work anyways since now 1 bank is spooling a smaller turbo instead of both banks spooling a smaller turbo. I honestly only went twin to keep my exhaust lol. Only reason.
Old 10-14-2016, 12:38 PM
Teching In

Ok I see what you are saying Ragna which turbos are u running
Old 10-14-2016, 03:05 PM
On The Tree

Ok I see what you are saying Ragna which turbos are u running
twin magnum 70mm turbos, bought the kit off a friend
Old 10-14-2016, 03:22 PM
Teching In

I wanna do a single turbo but I don't want the lag but but I cant have it not getting in boost at high rpm's because of the gear that's in the car so I trying to find a happy medium
Old 10-14-2016, 06:52 PM
On The Tree

A 76mm turbo is fine, turbo lag is more in tunes now than actual size unless you go stupid big like..90+ then cubes will matter but short of like 85mm or bigger lag is more tune based than size based.
Old 10-14-2016, 09:56 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 432 Likes on 307 Posts

Ummm... I don't know where you price your turbos, but a single that will be good for 800+HP shouldn't be anywhere near 4K unless it comes with a full hot and cold side to bolt it to.
Old 10-15-2016, 04:34 AM
9 Second Club

Received 179 Likes on 154 Posts

As you already have the 6062's, just go ahead and use them. There's no doubt they'll spool fast and make plenty of power.
Old 10-15-2016, 01:45 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by stevieturbo
As you already have the 6062's, just go ahead and use them. There's no doubt they'll spool fast and make plenty of power.
Id do this you just have to move stuff in the engine bay to make it work like me, if u want to run filters you have to move the battery and other stupid stuff so the filters fit. Unless your kit is rear mounted in which case nice! wish mine was lol save me a ton of hassle....
Old 10-15-2016, 01:49 PM
9 Second Club

Greddy make some very compact foam filters, or K&N do some very small ones too.

Neither are ideal, but IMO even a poor filter is better than none at all as long as it doesnt massively affect performance.

Although wouldnt say the Greddy ones seem to filter that well either...but still better than nothing or a piece of **** screen.
Old 10-15-2016, 01:56 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by stevieturbo
Greddy make some very compact foam filters, or K&N do some very small ones too.

Neither are ideal, but IMO even a poor filter is better than none at all as long as it doesnt massively affect performance.

Although wouldnt say the Greddy ones seem to filter that well either...but still better than nothing or a piece of **** screen.
im having a custom set made for my car by the same people that made my friends one for his turbo Camaro, his is legit awesome. Ill pay for the filters so that stuff doesn't fly into my 1+k turbos lol. relocating the battery to the spare tire well is the pain in the *** part of this concept.
Old 10-17-2016, 07:20 AM
Teching In

Well the good thing is my fuel cell and battery is already in the back but the 6062's with a bigger hot sides on them should be good since I have them and they are fairly new they only have about 10 passes on on one and the other one is still in the box but the big reason I don't want to run twin its more money and everything has to be done twice 2 oil feeds 2 oil drains 2 wastegate 2 dump tubes and so on so I think a single will be a lot easier to work with! I think with rods, pistons, good heads and cam with the right turbo should put me in the 9's what do you all think!
Old 10-17-2016, 07:46 AM
On The Tree

Well the good thing is my fuel cell and battery is already in the back but the 6062's with a bigger hot sides on them should be good since I have them and they are fairly new they only have about 10 passes on on one and the other one is still in the box but the big reason I don't want to run twin its more money and everything has to be done twice 2 oil feeds 2 oil drains 2 wastegate 2 dump tubes and so on so I think a single will be a lot easier to work with! I think with rods, pistons, good heads and cam with the right turbo should put me in the 9's what do you all think!
get the right engine you wont need rods and pistons, and heads are generally not that important since the turbos make up for the lack of good heads. When you throw boost at engines having stock heads doesnt matter as much because you are forcing more air into the charge regardless of what the heads want. Granted having a good set of heads that are ported does help but not required, as for getting into 9seconds all depends on car weight, power, and if u can actually put said power to ground without spinning the tires on launch to keep trap speed and not lose it due to spinning.
Old 10-17-2016, 08:47 AM
Teching In

Ok the motor im running is a lc9 aluminum 5.3 and with me in the car its 3300pnds tubbed in the rear with a 14point cage and my power goals I want to be around 850 900 area and it has a 33in tire on it what do u think with this setup could I break into the 9's
Old 10-17-2016, 09:07 AM
9 Second Club

Well then if you dont want to run twins dont.

It really isnt a hard decision to make.
Old 10-17-2016, 09:35 AM
Teching In

You are right its not as hard as im making it seem but that's why im trying to get advice the greatest forum of ppl who knows there stuff I have a goal set of where I want to be and if twins is the best way to get to my goal that the way I will go but if I can get it done with a single that would be better Im trying to get to where you are Stevie im wanna get to that single digits club!

Quick Reply: Turbo choice