Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

FI general

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2016, 11:14 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FI general

Guys.

Coming from a twin turbo diesel truck so know a little bit about turbo FI.
However in all honesty its a kit that apart from a few odds and ends is a direct fit bolt in. Can be done in a weekend.

I'm looking at these turbo builds (eg DIY truck build sticky) and Im pretty sure its not something I want to tackle as it will make an already long restomod so much longer to get back on feet and driving.

So what other options do I have. Looks like Procharged or Supercharged.
Everything I read suggests if I want to keep all the AC accessories and have the quietest drive I would want to go with SVT supercharger ??

Guessing like this

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/m...05bl/overview/

Not looking for anything crazy - really just hoping to have truck 400HP at wheels. but $6k is also a lot.

So - has me back leaning to just a CAM/HEADS build on LQ4/LQ9 6.0 engine.
Get me close - and only be additional $1500 instead of $6k.

Just seems like a hell of a lot of fabrication at fitment issues with teh turbos ..... and the prochargers/superchargers arent cheap either.

And yes - I know going fast isnt cheap -- but seems $6k for a blower on a $2k engine .... just dunno.

Starting to sound like i should either
CAM/HEAD a 6.0 or supercharge/procharge a 4.8.

Leaning the 1st one.
Old 10-14-2016, 11:44 AM
Restricted User

Received 104 Likes on 87 Posts

There are a lot of almost bolt on turbo setups for less than $6k. I have a turbo setup for a truck in my Nova.
Old 10-14-2016, 11:53 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by JoeNova
There are a lot of almost bolt on turbo setups for less than $6k. I have a turbo setup for a truck in my Nova.
My man joe

got a link ?

Remember this is goign into a 57 Chevy. And want to retain AC.
Old 10-14-2016, 12:01 PM
Restricted User

Do you want a single or twin setup?

If you want a single, look at a KB Racing or Trick style turbo manifold. You can use a stock driver's side truck manifold and their crossover, which goes under the trans bellhousing area.

If you want twins, I believe Huron speed makes a kit that works with A/C. There are a lot of F-body setups that are bolt-on and work with A/C. Something is bound to fit your car.
Old 10-14-2016, 12:09 PM
Launching!

Thanks Joe.
Yeah I had heard of the huron single kit but some problems with AC clearance.
Just putting the final few main parts/list together ...... and then starting the teardown and build.

Funny your the guy to reply first since your the guy that got me thinking FI to begin with

thanks
Old 10-14-2016, 12:19 PM
Restricted User

Something like this would likely fit your 57.
Retains AC. Twin setup for less than $4k.

http://www.on3performance.com/shop/o...800hp-package/
Old 10-14-2016, 12:37 PM
Launching!

Thanks.
I'll touch base with on3 and see what they say on clearances and how to measure after engine is in place to make sure most piping and fitment doesnt have a clearance issue.

Having smaller quick spooling twins would be awesome to get me at 400-500.

Ill probably check in with huron as well just to see the same on fitment. have to have AC with Florida summers.

Any reason your more pro turbo ???
Never had a super/procharger ........ so curious - seems like a simpler sertup for tubing and fitment ....... cost if buying new sucks - but if I found a good 2ndhand unit ....

Understood turbo has more range and configuration options once piping is done.
Old 10-14-2016, 01:05 PM
Restricted User

Its mainly preference.

The fact that I fab my own turbo setups means I typically end up with a full turbo setup for $2000. That plus the on-the-fly adjustability makes it a lot more versatile for what I'm doing. They're also a LOT quieter. The N/A cars I build are often louder than my turbo car.

A supercharger setup is more of a 'bolt on and be done with it' system. Get pulleys based on how much boost you want and then bolt it on. Changing boost means swapping pulleys. Less fabrication, easier install.
Old 10-14-2016, 01:16 PM
Launching!

yeah that was the main reason I was looking at procharger/supercharger was less piping and fabrication. The SVT systems seem quiet ... not sure how bad the ribbed belts slipping/torn is at lower boost and rpm

Looking at those kits though ...... doesn't look too bad ....... would just need to check out clearances once the engine is in. Dont want to fork out $2k for a kit to find out 1/2 of it cant be used.

Might come down to if I can find a good used kit (either) and go from there. Problem is if I go FI ... I really dont need a 6.0 .... so ideally that decision would be made earlier.
Old 10-15-2016, 02:26 PM
On The Tree

I mean just FI the 6.0 and don't push the supercharger/turbo as hard, its what id do. Always build for more than you are planning to make so **** don't break. So like a 76mm turbo on a 6.0 would almost instantly spool and also have enough to get you to 400-500 easy and youd only have to push like 6-8lbs of boost instead of the normal 10-12, easier on engine and parts at that point. Its not like you have to reduce the 6.0 cr to like 9.5 so it has no power during no boost situations, you don't have to do that anymore.
Old 10-15-2016, 02:38 PM
Launching!

Makes sense.
What 75mm turbo are guys using that's a quick spool....must be a small turbine on the t4.... the 75 I used was a 75/96/1.25... but was compounded.

Guessing these turbos must be more like a 75/82/.80 ..... always enjoyed the quicker spooling for street.

I'll get the engine in and see how much clearance at sides and front. Are most guys just flipping the stock truck manifolds around. Guess that's more for twins. Did a search on builds but not a lot showing up on piping and routing of hot side especially .....

Thx
Old 10-15-2016, 03:17 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by fakky
Makes sense.
What 75mm turbo are guys using that's a quick spool....must be a small turbine on the t4.... the 75 I used was a 75/96/1.25... but was compounded.

Guessing these turbos must be more like a 75/82/.80 ..... always enjoyed the quicker spooling for street.

I'll get the engine in and see how much clearance at sides and front. Are most guys just flipping the stock truck manifolds around. Guess that's more for twins. Did a search on builds but not a lot showing up on piping and routing of hot side especially .....

Thx
one of my magnum 70mm turbos the ar for the cold side is .70 and hot side is .81 reading it from the turbo right now. Keep in mind I have two of these so my setup will be slightly different, my friend has a 5.3l with a turbonetics 76/75 turbo and it near instantly spools so whatever AR that is id rock that or maybe a slightly bigger one on a 6.0. His car is currently making lik 800something on the street tune suppose to make over 1k on the ***** to the wall tune.
Old 10-15-2016, 05:46 PM
9 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

For 400 rwhp I wouldn't even bother with Fi. Just get a decent cam and call it a day. My 370 has stock 317 heads and I'm sure make 400 rwhp without boost as it makes 830 rwhp on 15 psi.
Old 10-15-2016, 06:11 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Nitroused383
For 400 rwhp I wouldn't even bother with Fi. Just get a decent cam and call it a day. My 370 has stock 317 heads and I'm sure make 400 rwhp without boost as it makes 830 rwhp on 15 psi.
yeah im making 435 on nothing but a SLP lid, SLP CAI, headers and exhaust with a cam and tune, no ls6 intake on it yet

Quick Reply: FI general