Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

1 5/8" or 1 3/4" headers?

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2016, 07:57 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1 5/8" or 1 3/4" headers?

I'm getting ready to build a set of shorty headers. The collector will be 2 1/2" feeding a 7875 turbo. Which size do all you guys recommend? They will be very short in length. Looking to make max around 700 whp.
Old 11-15-2016, 08:30 AM
Restricted User

Received 107 Likes on 89 Posts

The answer is yes.
Old 11-15-2016, 09:19 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by JoeNova
The answer is yes.

Yes to what?
Old 11-15-2016, 09:33 AM
Restricted User

A 2.5" collector has a rough area of 4.9 sq in.
A T4 flange has a rough area of 6 sq in.
8 - 1 5/8 primaries have a total area of 16.583125 sq in.
8 - 1 3/4 primaries have a total area of 19.2325 sq in.

The answer is yes.
Old 11-15-2016, 10:15 AM
TECH Apprentice

So basically either size will work. I was wondering If the smaller tubes would have more velocity.
Old 11-15-2016, 10:19 AM
TECH Addict

Received 119 Likes on 90 Posts

I would personally go with the 1-3/4" primaries just because of the added volume of exhaust a turbo'ed engine makes.

The smaller 1-5/8" would probably help the turbo come online faster due to the increase of the exhaust gas' heat and velocity, but I think it may also be more prone to increasing backpressure, as well.

My vote, for what it's worth, is the 1-3/4" primaries.
Old 11-15-2016, 11:03 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I don't think it will make any difference at all, it's not like a tuned effect such as in a long tube NA header. The smaller tubes will have more velocity, but the velocity in the collector, and at the turbo, will be the same either way. I don't think higher velocity in the primaries makes a difference here.

I think its like having a 1/2 inch valve on a tap, it doesn't matter wither you put a 2" or a 4" hose on it, it will flow pretty much the same since the hose isn't the choke point. Same deal here with the primaries. Maybe if you were talking a larger displacement engine, but both your choices are oversized compared to going through that little flange. I think Joe's math says it all. You could save some fab work and go truck manifolds? Can get a nice set for about $80, and they are proven? They don't look as cool though. You could also probably buy a generic set of shorty LS headers cheaper than you can make them. I'm not sure why that is, but when price the nice laser cut flanges, collectors, some tubing and some mandrel bends, it almost always costs more than buying headers. You burn your time, current, rod, argon, and abrasives for nothing. The exception here would be the really nice ones like the Kooks, but they are nicer than headers I'm capable of making, so that kind of makes sense.
Old 11-16-2016, 03:59 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by ScottyBG
I don't think it will make any difference at all, it's not like a tuned effect such as in a long tube NA header. The smaller tubes will have more velocity, but the velocity in the collector, and at the turbo, will be the same either way. I don't think higher velocity in the primaries makes a difference here.

I think its like having a 1/2 inch valve on a tap, it doesn't matter wither you put a 2" or a 4" hose on it, it will flow pretty much the same since the hose isn't the choke point. Same deal here with the primaries. Maybe if you were talking a larger displacement engine, but both your choices are oversized compared to going through that little flange. I think Joe's math says it all. You could save some fab work and go truck manifolds? Can get a nice set for about $80, and they are proven? They don't look as cool though. You could also probably buy a generic set of shorty LS headers cheaper than you can make them. I'm not sure why that is, but when price the nice laser cut flanges, collectors, some tubing and some mandrel bends, it almost always costs more than buying headers. You burn your time, current, rod, argon, and abrasives for nothing. The exception here would be the really nice ones like the Kooks, but they are nicer than headers I'm capable of making, so that kind of makes sense.
Fitment is the main reason for custom fabbing something. I don't have a set of truck manifolds to try, and really hate to buy them, don't fit, then have to resell. I know if I fab something, they will fit spot on without any compromise.
Old 11-16-2016, 09:10 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I went 1 3/4 into a 2" collector....

Old 11-18-2016, 01:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Quick Ranger
So basically either size will work. I was wondering If the smaller tubes would have more velocity.

The answer is still yes
Old 11-18-2016, 07:07 AM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by DavidBoren
I would personally go with the 1-3/4" primaries just because of the added volume of exhaust a turbo'ed engine makes.

The smaller 1-5/8" would probably help the turbo come online faster due to the increase of the exhaust gas' heat and velocity, but I think it may also be more prone to increasing backpressure, as well.

My vote, for what it's worth, is the 1-3/4" primaries.
Backpressure is going to be caused by the collector/turbo flange in this application. Primary size will have very little effect on backpressure.
Old 11-19-2016, 02:52 AM
TECH Apprentice

I think I'm just gonna go 1 5/8, will make clearance near my steering shaft much easier to fit.

Quick Reply: 1 5/8" or 1 3/4" headers?