Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

The never ending quest....

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2016, 10:13 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by lmt0705
I started out with cam and heads SBC in my high school years and a little after, got a d1sc procharger for a 00 ta that made 460ish to the tire on a stock ls1 11 years ago then put forged internals in, upped it to 600 ish. Got bored with that and later went to an f1a with 800 or so in my daily driver. That was hellishly allow after a while�� and along came my twin turbos where I was making 1200 to the tire last year! Haven't put all that to the ground yet but I figured why not add a little more....... So now im going bigger twins and 1600 next season! Lol. The addiction never ends!
You sir need to begin attending RA (Racers Anonymous). Because you are definitely an addict! I think if I hit 1200whp in my street car....I'm good lol.
Old 11-18-2016, 10:54 AM
TECH Addict

Received 516 Likes on 401 Posts

I've owned a couple fast cars and ridden in some REALLY fast cars but I feel Like there is a point where I'll be happy and it really depends on cars purpose.
For a drag oriented car the gradual increase in power to me is normal, as the person gets used to setting the car up and used to power its only natural to NEED to go faster.
For a street car/DD (legit street Daily driver car) there is a point where I will stop.
My current street car is probably pretty close to 600 whp and will get me up to 140 mph on the street really quickly which donned on me recently, 140 mph on the highway is fast, like go to prison fast, like lose control and go off the road barrel roll and die fast lol.
I've also got a wife and child who depend on me for support a side from the fact they would miss me if I was dead or in jail ha ha.
I may turn the wick up a little more but the roads around here are really badly rutted and even at 60 mph sometimes the car darts around all over the place.
I think a 1K whp car in Texas or places where the roads are long and flat is more accepted because where its at, long straight flat stretches where I live are few and far between and are usually camped out on by smokey bear.
Old 11-18-2016, 11:57 AM
11 Second Club

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by coltboostin
On the moon? LOL
If you saw the car you'd understand.
Old 11-18-2016, 06:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 526 Likes on 356 Posts

i'm with the not wanting to die ****. I gave up on motorcycles after too many close calls.
but I got back into cars thinkin, "oh i'll do one of those ls swaps that everyone is talking about"
a year after that I'm scratch building a turbo car (truck)
fast forward to now and i'm like "I probably ought to get the billet wheel, just in case"
lol, it's in our blood
Old 11-18-2016, 10:13 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by truckdoug
i'm with the not wanting to die ****. I gave up on motorcycles after too many close calls.
but I got back into cars thinkin, "oh i'll do one of those ls swaps that everyone is talking about"
a year after that I'm scratch building a turbo car (truck)
fast forward to now and i'm like "I probably ought to get the billet wheel, just in case"
lol, it's in our blood
Don't forget the race cover, or you'll be upgrading like I am!
Old 11-19-2016, 08:01 AM
8 Second Club

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Horsepower is just too easy to make these days and people have become numb to horsepower numbers and even track times. Back in the mid 90's in my area of upstate NY we were building all sorts of combos trying to be the first "street car" in the 9's. We had all sorts of combos with Chevy, Mopar, Ford and even a couple of Olds and Pontiac engines. Most were running high compression, nitrous, huge roots blowers, big carbs, big cams and spent big money! The top guys were all in the 10.5 to 10.1 range. I am talking good race parts in lightened up cars too, not just ring and bearing builds with mostly stock parts!

Fast forward 20 years and here we are in the era of turbos and centrifugal superchargers. 10's are slow, 9's look easy, 8's aren't as impressive as it once was and it seems 7's are the new 9's! People aren't looking for 1000 horsepower at the crank, they want 1000+++ at the wheels! You can take a $500 junkyard pull, throw a cam and a couple of turbos at it and make more power at the wheels than these high dollar builds used to make at the flywheel!

That being said, there is nothing I love more these days than to see a nice quiet street car spank a gutted out lexan window mostly fiberglass open header race car at the track!
Old 11-19-2016, 08:12 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Ratical
Horsepower is just too easy to make these days and people have become numb to horsepower numbers and even track times. Back in the mid 90's in my area of upstate NY we were building all sorts of combos trying to be the first "street car" in the 9's. We had all sorts of combos with Chevy, Mopar, Ford and even a couple of Olds and Pontiac engines. Most were running high compression, nitrous, huge roots blowers, big carbs, big cams and spent big money! The top guys were all in the 10.5 to 10.1 range. I am talking good race parts in lightened up cars too, not just ring and bearing builds with mostly stock parts!

Fast forward 20 years and here we are in the era of turbos and centrifugal superchargers. 10's are slow, 9's look easy, 8's aren't as impressive as it once was and it seems 7's are the new 9's! People aren't looking for 1000 horsepower at the crank, they want 1000+++ at the wheels! You can take a $500 junkyard pull, throw a cam and a couple of turbos at it and make more power at the wheels than these high dollar builds used to make at the flywheel!

That being said, there is nothing I love more these days than to see a nice quiet street car spank a gutted out lexan window mostly fiberglass open header race car at the track!
This!!^^^. I've actually gotten to the point of disliking those loud old school race cars. Seems like soon as you begin a conversation in the pits, some guy starts his car up and immediately starts winging the gas for 5 minutes. Most of the time the cars that are really loud.....tend to be really slow for all the noise they make.
Old 11-20-2016, 01:44 AM
8 Second Truck Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Game ova
This!!^^^. I've actually gotten to the point of disliking those loud old school race cars. Seems like soon as you begin a conversation in the pits, some guy starts his car up and immediately starts winging the gas for 5 minutes. Most of the time the cars that are really loud.....tend to be really slow for all the noise they make.
As a purist, I could never make that statement.
Old 11-20-2016, 05:20 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Blown06
As a purist, I could never make that statement.
I can understand that. It's just that, over the years I've come to enjoy the side of actual performance...rather than just making a bunch of noise, then running something like a 12.50 @110. A quiet car that throws down a 9 second pass is much more impressive to me these days.
Old 11-20-2016, 05:52 AM
Launching!

I can understand that. It's just that, over the years I've come to enjoy the side of actual performance...rather than just making a bunch of noise, then running something like a 12.50 @110. A quiet car that throws down a 9 second pass is much more impressive to me these days.
so... an electric must really float your boat?

I dont really understand your statement here cuz you can tone a car down A LOT if you choose too. so why is it more "impressive" that someone choose to run quite exhaust when exhaust is all about tone preference.
Old 11-20-2016, 09:13 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by LS325ci
so... an electric must really float your boat?

I dont really understand your statement here cuz you can tone a car down A LOT if you choose too. so why is it more "impressive" that someone choose to run quite exhaust when exhaust is all about tone preference.
Nope, not into electrics. The point was simple, I just don't really care for the loud open header cars anymore. It used to be cool some years back, but not so much anymore. And I understand that they "can" run exhaust.....but they don't.
Old 11-20-2016, 10:28 AM
11 Second Club

To each his own. If cars made more power with full exhaust I bet that would be the norm. I feel at home at the track. Smell of VHT, tire smoke , & loud *** cars. I enjoy loud cars. I do understand seeing a loud pos running 12's then a Tesla, or whatever, running high 10's but..

Don't take this the wrong way Game ova. If it get's too bad those little ear plugs work good.
Old 11-20-2016, 10:32 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by SoFla01SSLookinstok
To each his own. If cars made more power with full exhaust I bet that would be the norm. I feel at home at the track. Smell of VHT, tire smoke , & loud *** cars. I enjoy loud cars. I do understand seeing a loud pos running 12's then a Tesla running high 10's but..

Don't take this the wrong way Game ova. If it get's too bad those little ear plugs work good.
Sigh....lol, it's really not that serious. Was really just a comment in passing. And believe it or not, some setups actually do make more power with full exhaust.
Old 11-20-2016, 10:38 AM
TECH Regular

In my area, it's mostly 1/8 mile muscle cars with open headers. You can barely hear my turbo car running at all Once the race is done, most people come over with amazement on how I just beat so and so, with a "it's so quiet though!" I just giggle

I'm running a 4 inch Downpipe into a very short 3.5 inch section with a dynomax bullet muffler in the fenderwell
Old 11-20-2016, 10:40 AM
Launching!

Well that's two different things. Preference is completely valid, being impress because it's quite doesn't make sense. With that statement it sound like it's harder to run a muffler and go fast

Your just getting old lol jk
I my myself no longer like running open dump into In the front(besides wastegate) I still run straight through but I dump it in the back much better inside the cabin.
But like the guys can run a muffler I also think that a muffler will kill a sound unless it's a straight through muffler. I like the rumble over other people's ears lol
As an added bonus you get more ponies without
(I'm talking about turbo since that's all I've ever owned)
Old 11-20-2016, 10:42 AM
Launching!

Sigh....lol, it's really not that serious. Was really just a comment in passing. And believe it or not, some setups actually do make more power with full exhaust.
Are you talking about n/a or turbo?
Turbo highly unlikely

N/a I have no idea if you need back pressure or not lol
Old 11-20-2016, 10:46 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by SoFla01SSLookinstok
To each his own. If cars made more power with full exhaust I bet that would be the norm. I feel at home at the track. Smell of VHT, tire smoke , & loud *** cars. I enjoy loud cars. I do understand seeing a loud pos running 12's then a Tesla, or whatever, running high 10's but..

I wouldn't go as far as calling them POS, not everyone wants a 9 or 10 second car. They just want a nice fast enough car and have that tone.

I mean that's like a guy running 7 or 8 calling your Car POS cuz it's loud and runs 9/10
Old 11-20-2016, 10:52 AM
TECH Junkie

Well that's two different things. Preference is completely valid, being impress because it's quite doesn't make sense. With that statement it sound like it's harder to run a muffler and go fast

I my myself no longer like running open dump into In the front(besides wastegate) I still run straight through but I dump it in the back much better inside the cabin.
But like the guys can run a muffler I also think that a muffler will kill a sound unless it's a straight through muffler. I like the rumble over other people's ears lol
Talking about SOME N/A cars making more power with exhaust. Are you not impressed when a street car that you can barely hear go down the track, beats the brakes off of a loud shelled out race car? I know I am. Hey, and I'm only 36!
Old 11-20-2016, 11:04 AM
11 Second Club

Well I'd say more low to mid range torque. High rpm horsepower likes flow.

I wouldn't go as far as calling them POS, not everyone wants a 9 or 10 second car. They just want a nice fast enough car and have that tone.

I mean that's like a guy running 7 or 8 calling your Car POS cuz it's loud and runs 9/10
Nothing personal lol. I call my car junk/pos sometimes. I guess I was thinking of an old rust bucket held together by zip ties running 12's lol.

I'd take that as a little kick in the butt. Always try & learn from the faster guys.
Old 11-20-2016, 01:11 PM
TECH Addict

Received 516 Likes on 401 Posts

See I am really enjoying my electric exhaust cutout.
I currently run a full 3" exhaust back to the biggest magnaflow muffler I could fit in the stock location.
With the cutout closed its perfect for cruises, the rear gears whining is louder than the exhaust lol but at least I can enjoy the radio.
Opening the cutout makes the car ridiculously loud, the turbine whine, the lope of the cam all comes out and then you know **** just got real lol.
Miles better than my old 70 BBC camaro with dual 3" dumps at the axle.
That car would make me physically exhausted after driving for 20-30 minutes.
I took my 02 SS on a 400 mile round trip drive and it was awesome.

Quick Reply: The never ending quest....