Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

The never ending quest....

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2016, 01:21 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by The ******
See I am really enjoying my electric exhaust cutout.
I currently run a full 3" exhaust back to the biggest magnaflow muffler I could fit in the stock location.
With the cutout closed its perfect for cruises, the rear gears whining is louder than the exhaust lol but at least I can enjoy the radio.
Opening the cutout makes the car ridiculously loud, the turbine whine, the lope of the cam all comes out and then you know **** just got real lol.
Miles better than my old 70 BBC camaro with dual 3" dumps at the axle.
That car would make me physically exhausted after driving for 20-30 minutes.
I took my 02 SS on a 400 mile round trip drive and it was awesome.
Ah yes, I can remember the days when I would go cruise in my 70 1/2 z28. It had 4:56 and 3 inch Flowmasters, after about an hour of driving it...your ears would be ringing. Didn't have powersteering or AC either, driving that car was the workout.....didn't need a gym membership.
Old 11-20-2016, 02:19 PM
TECH Addict

Received 516 Likes on 401 Posts

Originally Posted by Game ova
Ah yes, I can remember the days when I would go cruise in my 70 1/2 z28. It had 4:56 and 3 inch Flowmasters, after about an hour of driving it...your ears would be ringing. Didn't have powersteering or AC either, driving that car was the workout.....didn't need a gym membership.
I know right!
No P/S, Power Brakes, A/C or heat lol.
Don't get me wrong, the car was raucous AF and with the big solid roller sounded straight nasty and I loved it for over 13 years.
But then my buddy took me for a ride in his 04 SVT Cobra that had some decent mods and opened my eyes that a car could be fast, comfortable and easy to maintain.
The opportunity presented itself to pick up a 2002 M6 SS Camaro so I took the plunge, added a turbo and couldn't be happier.
Name another point in time where you can add a turbo to a car with a factory engine and make a RELIABLE 600-700 hp and still be street friendly?
The advent of efficient, cost effective turbos has revolutionized the automotive performance hobby and whether your a Chevy, Ford or Mopar guy you have to agree its a great time to be into this lifestyle.
Old 11-20-2016, 05:23 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

For me the quest always has ended when money ran out. You will always get used to power and want more but you have to ask yourself, "is it a good value". Raising the bar becomes an addiction and I have seen situations where it's sad because the money isn't there. I know because I've been there. Sometimes you just have to step back and evaluate how you want to use the car. Are you even using the car as is? Is more power going to make you use it more?
Old 11-20-2016, 06:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

May as well add my 0.2
I really don't care how fast something goes, 15s can be impressive depending on the vehicle. I've grown to appreciate any combo that works well for what it is.
And I don't understand how a vehicle with a noisy exhaust as any less impressive than one with a quiet system. (My z is pretty silent too)
edit: it's all about optimizing what you have to work with.
Old 11-20-2016, 06:50 PM
9 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

With a 6 speed 10 second power feels crazy fast on the street just because the way the car reacts on shifts and moves all over the place. On a street ls car with a turbo (600 hp+) you go 0-jail in a few seconds and in my area that means your **** is getting impounded and you may never see it again. 8 second capable power on the street is quite ridiculous in my opinion especially if your car is setup well and can hook. At the track you can never have enough power, the main problem is power is so easy to make these days that it's very easy to over power your chassis and legal certs to run at the track.

Here's hooking some decent hp on the street from a 20 mph roll
Old 11-20-2016, 07:11 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Nitroused383
With a 6 speed 10 second power feels crazy fast on the street just because the way the car reacts on shifts and moves all over the place. On a street ls car with a turbo (600 hp+) you go 0-jail in a few seconds and in my area that means your **** is getting impounded and you may never see it again. 8 second capable power on the street is quite ridiculous in my opinion especially if your car is setup well and can hook. At the track you can never have enough power, the main problem is power is so easy to make these days that it's very easy to over power your chassis and legal certs to run at the track.

Here's hooking some decent hp on the street from a 20 mph roll
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7gBaxvDYs8
Car looks pretty salty. What's it making? And what was with that buck that it did in 1st? And yeah, speaking for myself, I'm very selective on when...and where I play on the street. And I don't really play to often, usually just a little quick blast.
Old 11-20-2016, 07:18 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by The ******
See I am really enjoying my electric exhaust cutout.
I currently run a full 3" exhaust back to the biggest magnaflow muffler I could fit in the stock location.
With the cutout closed its perfect for cruises, the rear gears whining is louder than the exhaust lol but at least I can enjoy the radio.
Opening the cutout makes the car ridiculously loud, the turbine whine, the lope of the cam all comes out and then you know **** just got real lol.
Miles better than my old 70 BBC camaro with dual 3" dumps at the axle.
That car would make me physically exhausted after driving for 20-30 minutes.
I took my 02 SS on a 400 mile round trip drive and it was awesome.
cut out is nice and ive run them for years. I use to think it was a must on all my setup until i figured out that dumping under your car makes your exhaust louder in cabin. drone is ridiculous.
dump it in the back and youll notices a quieter ride.
and its not a valid one either since going down 1/4 you know youll be open exhaust. which is what is being discussed(noise going down the lane)

Talking about SOME N/A cars making more power with exhaust. Are you not impressed when a street car that you can barely hear go down the track, beats the brakes off of a loud shelled out race car? I know I am. Hey, and I'm only 36!
no because as i said noise is preference. You can make any car pretty quite and still run fast. nothing impressive about that. Not to mention factory cars now adays are running pretty fast stock and quite, are you impressed by a stock z06 or gtr or cobras etc b/c they are fast and quite?
Old 11-20-2016, 08:55 PM
9 Second Club

Car looks pretty salty. What's it making? And what was with that buck that it did in 1st? And yeah, speaking for myself, I'm very selective on when...and where I play on the street. And I don't really play to often, usually just a little quick blast.
I let off so it wouldn't blow the tires off on the 1-2 shift. This was 16-17 psi so I'm not 100% sure on power but enough to run 119.5 mph in the 1/8th @ 3600lbs. On 15 psi with less timing it made 830 rwhp and ran 116 1/8 and 146 1/4 in the summer heat with 180 degree IAT. My converter slip is only 1-2% so I don't think there is much loss going through the dyno even with my 9" and 40 spline axles it's basically like a solid locked up converter.

Old 11-20-2016, 09:57 PM
TECH Junkie

I let off so it wouldn't blow the tires off on the 1-2 shift. This was 16-17 psi so I'm not 100% sure on power but enough to run 119.5 mph in the 1/8th @ 3600lbs. On 15 psi with less timing it made 830 rwhp and ran 116 1/8 and 146 1/4 in the summer heat with 180 degree IAT. My converter slip is only 1-2% so I don't think there is much loss going through the dyno even with my 9" and 40 spline axles it's basically like a solid locked up converter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-hZnEgKYXxU
Who did you use for your converter?
Old 11-20-2016, 10:08 PM
9 Second Club

It's a Neal chance nitrous converter which is way too tight down low it's a bitch to spool. I will be selling it to buy a ptc.
Old 11-20-2016, 10:13 PM
TECH Junkie

It's a Neal chance nitrous converter which is way too tight down low it's a bitch to spool. I will be selling it to buy a ptc.
I'm buying a converter here within the week, have heard more than once that PTC is good to deal with. I'm actually wanting a converter that doesn't have a high slip percentage. When you say it's hard to spool, what are you able to foot brake to? Transbrake?
Old 11-20-2016, 11:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 879 Likes on 627 Posts

I think a lot of it has to do with "why" you need/want more power.

I know a lot of guys that want to be the "top dog" among their group and will spend ridiculous amounts of money to do it. It makes them feel good about the size of their dick.

I also see guys who have 800rhwp that want 1000rhwp because they are getting beat by 700whp cars because they don't know how to drive.

"We buy things we don't need with money we don't have to impress people we don't like" IMO this is a lot of it.
Old 11-20-2016, 11:28 PM
9 Second Club

I'm buying a converter here within the week, have heard more than once that PTC is good to deal with. I'm actually wanting a converter that doesn't have a high slip percentage. When you say it's hard to spool, what are you able to foot brake to? Transbrake?
Talk to Dusty Bradford for your PTC converter and you will not be disappointed. PTC converters stall high enough down low to spool quick and couple hard up top to have very low slip numbers. Mine is just tight everywhere about 2000 rpm on footbrake and 2500 on the tbrake. At 2500 rpm I build about 1 psi and it slowly slowly builds more boost and raises rpm up to 3200 where I have the 2 step. My buddys ptc will spool a S488 in a matter of seconds because it will flash to 3800 + rpm instantly. He can grab the tbrake as soon as he bumps the 2nd yellow and have 8 psi by the time the green light is on. Alot of it does have to do with the tune though and I tried a bunch of different techniques to get mine to spool as quick as possible. I lost the fastest street car shootout at my local track because I couldn't spool fast enough and the guy I was racing knew it so he light both bulbs right away.
Previous quickest spool

Almost cut my spool time in half

Last edited by Nitroused383; 11-20-2016 at 11:37 PM.
Old 11-21-2016, 06:41 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1,739 Likes on 1,299 Posts

Sigh....lol, it's really not that serious. Was really just a comment in passing. And believe it or not, some setups actually do make more power with full exhaust.
Can I get an example of this? Backpressure being good on an NA setup has been proven to be an old wives tale so I'm curious where you saw this.
Old 11-21-2016, 06:51 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by ddnspider
Can I get an example of this? Backpressure being good on an NA setup has been proven to be an old wives tale so I'm curious where you saw this.
I have no way to prove this, but I had an '85 berlinetta in the late 90s with a fairly decent 383. Now, I understand that this is not anywhere near as definitive as the track but open headers the car was a DOG...would barely even turn the tires. With no other changes than bolting up my exhaust...it was night and day difference. Now before you say, it was only a difference in torque....i count torque as power.
Old 11-21-2016, 07:32 PM
TECH Junkie

Talk to Dusty Bradford for your PTC converter and you will not be disappointed. PTC converters stall high enough down low to spool quick and couple hard up top to have very low slip numbers. Mine is just tight everywhere about 2000 rpm on footbrake and 2500 on the tbrake. At 2500 rpm I build about 1 psi and it slowly slowly builds more boost and raises rpm up to 3200 where I have the 2 step. My buddys ptc will spool a S488 in a matter of seconds because it will flash to 3800 + rpm instantly. He can grab the tbrake as soon as he bumps the 2nd yellow and have 8 psi by the time the green light is on. Alot of it does have to do with the tune though and I tried a bunch of different techniques to get mine to spool as quick as possible. I lost the fastest street car shootout at my local track because I couldn't spool fast enough and the guy I was racing knew it so he light both bulbs right away.
Previous quickest spool
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8cxappejTA

Almost cut my spool time in half
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v0NWFi-UOmw
Ordering mine tomorrow. Seems like PTC is the truth.
Old 11-21-2016, 07:51 PM
11 Second Club

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

I've run a car with full exhaust then straight headers. It was faster ET & MPH with no exhaust.
Old 11-21-2016, 07:54 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1,739 Likes on 1,299 Posts

I have no way to prove this, but I had an '85 berlinetta in the late 90s with a fairly decent 383. Now, I understand that this is not anywhere near as definitive as the track but open headers the car was a DOG...would barely even turn the tires. With no other changes than bolting up my exhaust...it was night and day difference. Now before you say, it was only a difference in torque....i count torque as power.
Thank goodness you didn't find some crazy dyno graph comparison showing a car picked up 3hp with a cat back installed, then we'd go into measurement error and accuracy of a dyno I would contribute your scenario to multiple things. Assuming the car had O2's it's entirely possible they were reading lean with open headers. If not, valve overlap and exhaust scavenging can come into play with open headers vs. no headers. Finally, and you'll hate this one, there is a psychological portion that messes with people all the time, super loud should be super fast right? LOL. Anyways, there's been enough data disproving back pressure on ANY engine is better. It's just an air pump, air in air out, as fast as possible.
Old 11-21-2016, 07:57 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by SoFla01SSLookinstok
I've run a car with full exhaust then straight headers. It was faster ET & MPH with no exhaust.
Maybe it would have been better to run the car at the track to get hard numbers, but I can assure you that the car felt like it was down 2 holes. Wouldn't have mattered anyway as it was a street car, so exhaust was mandatory. But just wanted to see how the car felt open headers.
Old 11-21-2016, 11:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 526 Likes on 356 Posts

I like my rides medium-quiet. My neighbors are all workin folks so I cant fire up an open headers car at 8am on saturday. Also my local track has dB restrictions. Last, I don't want any extra attention from the fuzz---I've already had my fair share thankyouverymuch.

Quick Reply: The never ending quest....