Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

E-boost street boost controller acting odd?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2017, 08:54 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default E-boost street boost controller acting odd?

so it claims to be able to throw down 40 psi , yet for some reason I have to have the boost solenoid at 75% duty cycle, my gate pressure at 20 psi and it makes 212 kpa. In the meantime the eboost street reads 28-32 psi at this setting yet on my Holley digital dash, my map sensor is hitting 212 kpa? Anybody else experience issues with this boost controller ? Also can anybody walk me through setting this thing up too unleash all hell and have a nice flat boost curve ? It tends to slowly ease into 5-6 psi then at 10 it instantly jumps to 15-16 and shreds the tires at 75+. I'd just rather it come on more linear if possible. Again im green when it comes to turbo cars so if this is how they act then so be it , I'd just like the boost to come on stronger down low if possible and pull hard through the rpm range. With the bc cranked up like this , It seems to take longer to spool up but makes an insane amount of power. I'll be disappointed if it doesn't make 650 to the tires tomorrow on 15-16 psi to say the least .
Old 03-01-2017, 12:06 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How many threads can you start in a week lol. Just start a build thread already

PS In for dyno results.
Old 03-01-2017, 04:59 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by CyberGrey Z28

PS In for dyno results.

my build thread was last fall lol. Seems like you get a more direct answer by breaking questions up into seperate posts. Long winded stuff usually only results in partial answers. I'm not very technically savvy , and the internet isnt really my thing .. once I figure out what direction I'm going in for the new setup , as far as motor and transmission wise, then I'll start a new build thread for sure
Old 03-01-2017, 05:00 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by CyberGrey Z28

PS In for dyno results.
i had the car at this same dyno last summer, and with a lid and catback only it hit 321 at the wheels .
Old 03-01-2017, 05:05 PM
9 Second Club

Received 178 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by Dennis5374
so it claims to be able to throw down 40 psi , yet for some reason I have to have the boost solenoid at 75% duty cycle, my gate pressure at 20 psi and it makes 212 kpa. In the meantime the eboost street reads 28-32 psi at this setting yet on my Holley digital dash, my map sensor is hitting 212 kpa? Anybody else experience issues with this boost controller ? Also can anybody walk me through setting this thing up too unleash all hell and have a nice flat boost curve ? It tends to slowly ease into 5-6 psi then at 10 it instantly jumps to 15-16 and shreds the tires at 75+. I'd just rather it come on more linear if possible. Again im green when it comes to turbo cars so if this is how they act then so be it , I'd just like the boost to come on stronger down low if possible and pull hard through the rpm range. With the bc cranked up like this , It seems to take longer to spool up but makes an insane amount of power. I'll be disappointed if it doesn't make 650 to the tires tomorrow on 15-16 psi to say the least .
And have you tested your map sensor and that of the EBoost so they do read the same under a test source ? Are they referenced from the same location ?

And why would you be setting GP much higher than your desired boost pressure ?

RTFM

http://www.turbosmartusa.com/wp-cont...psi_MAY_12.pdf
Old 03-01-2017, 08:22 PM
TECH Apprentice

Because for some reason it seems to hit lower than the desired gate pressure . I have to have a solenoid that claims 40 psi set to 75% to hit 15 psi. It should be seeing 30 and grenadine the ls1 but it doesn't t
Old 03-01-2017, 10:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 526 Likes on 356 Posts

what else do you have teed into the line that goes to the boost controller?
Old 03-01-2017, 11:48 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by truckdoug
what else do you have teed into the line that goes to the boost controller?
i dont believe anything . Has its own vacuum source
Old 03-02-2017, 08:58 AM
9 Second Club

Because for some reason it seems to hit lower than the desired gate pressure . I have to have a solenoid that claims 40 psi set to 75% to hit 15 psi. It should be seeing 30 and grenadine the ls1 but it doesn't t
Read the instructions, you really arent understanding how it works.

And nowhere will a solenoid say it will hit 40psi at anything and given tehre are many many plumbing variables as well as the configuration of the controller itself....

Read the instructions.

And there is no "desired" gate pressure.
Old 03-02-2017, 10:55 AM
TECH Apprentice

I've read the instructions , there's only two ways to hook it up. Also states to set the gate pressure 3 psi below your target boost. So yes it's not right the way I have it set . Why would they call it an eboost street 40 and claim 40 psi maximum boost if that wasn't the case ? And yeah I don't understand how it works cuz this is my first turbo car ever .
Old 03-02-2017, 11:11 AM
9 Second Club

I've read the instructions , there's only two ways to hook it up. Also states to set the gate pressure 3 psi below your target boost. So yes it's not right the way I have it set . Why would they call it an eboost street 40 and claim 40 psi maximum boost if that wasn't the case ? And yeah I don't understand how it works cuz this is my first turbo car ever .
There are multiple ways to plumb it up...again, read the instructions.

And if the unit was installed on a car with a tiny tiny turbo, would you ever expect it to be capable of 40psi under any circumstances ? No. An electronic controller cannot defy the laws of physics.

On the right combo, with the right configuration then yes on some engines it may be possible to generate 40psi boost and that means that controller would be able to accommodate it.

But it isnt suddenly going to make say a GT25 fitted to a 4.8 run at 40psi
Old 03-02-2017, 11:39 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 526 Likes on 356 Posts

i dont believe anything . Has its own vacuum source
ok that's good. I have the eboost 2 but haven't run it yet.

I'm setting it up the other of the 2 ways. One port to the compressor housing, one to the top of the gate and the last port to the bottom. My understanding is that help keep the gate from cracking early and better controls boost drop up top. Otherwise it's gonna be just spring pressure.

there are a lot of ways to lose boost up in the rpm besides the gate control. I could be the contoller is working good and is at its limit
Old 03-02-2017, 12:31 PM
TECH Resident

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Like said previously, you really need to read the turbosmart literature...

Turbosmart describes gate pressure as ramp rate. In their own words "This feature helps bring boost on faster at lower rpm and will give an increase in torque." In no way do they imply that you'll get a certain amount of boost at any certain setting.

You also need to understand that without a compressed air source (like CO2) your controller can only give you up to about 2x spring pressure.
Old 03-02-2017, 06:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

The e-boost CAN get to 40psi with a setup that can do more than 40psi without a wastegate. Doesn't mean you can push 40psi with a turbo surging at 20psi or with a boost leak.

Try to run a full mechanical setup and see how it works out. In my experience, nothing will spool faster than full mechanical wastegate doing its thing. Granted the wastegate better be setup tight enough to reach full potential.... or disable the wastegate and see what happens LOL
Old 03-03-2017, 03:21 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by imma_stocker
The e-boost CAN get to 40psi with a setup that can do more than 40psi without a wastegate. Doesn't mean you can push 40psi with a turbo surging at 20psi or with a boost leak.

Try to run a full mechanical setup and see how it works out. In my experience, nothing will spool faster than full mechanical wastegate doing its thing. Granted the wastegate better be setup tight enough to reach full potential.... or disable the wastegate and see what happens LOL
Almost every EBC when set correctly will help spool a little faster than pure mechanical, simply because it is able to block any pressure signal from opening the gate for longer during spool.

Quick Reply: E-boost street boost controller acting odd?