Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Co2 on wastegate

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2017, 09:48 PM
8 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Default Co2 on wastegate

? On running c02 on wastegate? I run a ms3 gold box and they just released a new firmware a few months ago to run dome pressure and have control of increase and decrease solenoids. I run a boost dial with a single solenoid currently and would like to help increase spool time by adding the co2 and also would like to gain a few extra psi with it. 8psi spring currently will net me 20 psi with full duty on solenoid. Car is 90% street car and was wondering if I can just run regulated cO2 to top of gate with my current single solenoid setup and just adjust co2 accordingly to boost I want to run. So if I want to run 15 psi I can just add a little regulated c02 to help spool and not to up the boost level. But since I can only manage 20 psi without co2 I could just regulate co2 to net me more boost. Will this work or will I run into boost creep issues ?
Old 03-13-2017, 05:30 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What converter is in it? What's ignition timing set at?

All the CO2 does is allow you better control of the gate. So you put the lightest spring that you can get in the gate and use CO2 to add or take boost away. More CO2, more boost.
Old 03-13-2017, 06:00 AM
8 Second Club

Ptc $450 4000 stall, 10 degrees at 20psi. Pump gas and meth. I know how co2 works and what it does. I am asking about using it with one solenoid and regulated to say 10 psi dome to make 10 or 15 psi actual and increase spool time and regulate it to whatever to get above 20 psi. I know actual set up matters to what is needed on top of the gate to get to a certain boost level. Like I may need to put 30 psi on the top of the gate to get 25 psi actual.
Old 03-13-2017, 06:09 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you know how it works then you should know that the gate doesn't open till it gets close to the target boost. Has no effect on the time it takes to get there.

It either needs more ignition timing to help it get up on the converter faster or a less aggressive stator in the converter.

How much timing is in it right where it starts to make boost pressure? It needs enough timing in it down low to help it then start to pull out when it starts making boost.
Old 03-13-2017, 08:35 AM
TECH Addict

Received 186 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by gsxrred1000
Ptc $450 4000 stall, 10 degrees at 20psi. Pump gas and meth. I know how co2 works and what it does. I am asking about using it with one solenoid and regulated to say 10 psi dome to make 10 or 15 psi actual and increase spool time and regulate it to whatever to get above 20 psi. I know actual set up matters to what is needed on top of the gate to get to a certain boost level. Like I may need to put 30 psi on the top of the gate to get 25 psi actual.
Are you worried that the gate might be "cracking early" and you want to hold it shut with the CO2?
Old 03-13-2017, 10:41 AM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by 3 window
Are you worried that the gate might be "cracking early" and you want to hold it shut with the CO2?
That's kinda what I'm assuming at 20 psi. Isn't that the reason why you can only make double the spring pressure cause it's forcing the gate open at that point ? Mainly want to make a few more psi than 20 but want to keep my 8 psi spring in. But I also heard that with co2 it increases spool time because the pressure is already there and u don't have to rely on manifold pressure to build it ?? Am I wrong with this?
Old 03-13-2017, 10:47 AM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by a05c
If you know how it works then you should know that the gate doesn't open till it gets close to the target boost. Has no effect on the time it takes to get there.

It either needs more ignition timing to help it get up on the converter faster or a less aggressive stator in the converter.

How much timing is in it right where it starts to make boost pressure? It needs enough timing in it down low to help it then start to pull out when it starts making boost.
I have 33-34degrees in it down low and it tapers to 10 over 20psi
Old 03-13-2017, 12:03 PM
TECH Addict

That's kinda what I'm assuming at 20 psi. Isn't that the reason why you can only make double the spring pressure cause it's forcing the gate open at that point ? Mainly want to make a few more psi than 20 but want to keep my 8 psi spring in. But I also heard that with co2 it increases spool time because the pressure is already there and u don't have to rely on manifold pressure to build it ?? Am I wrong with this?
A lot comes into when a gate cracks open. Backpressure, spring rate etc (which you already know, I'm sure). If you plumb your 3 port solenoid so that it takes away pressure to the bottom as it adds it to the top, you'd be able to go well beyond your 20 psi. Rough estimate is double your spring with nothing to the bottom or top. That'd be 16 psi in your case. Psi is psi, I y
Old 03-13-2017, 12:07 PM
TECH Addict

A lot comes into when a gate cracks open. Backpressure, spring rate etc (which you already know, I'm sure). If you plumb your 3 port solenoid so that it takes away pressure to the bottom as it adds it to the top, you'd be able to go well beyond your 20 psi. Rough estimate is double your spring with nothing to the bottom or top. That'd be 16 psi in your case. Try runnin no lines to the gate and see what's up. If it's 16 or so, you could add some duty cycle to your solenoid while plumbed to the top to get you the desired boost.
Old 03-13-2017, 12:10 PM
8 Second Club

A lot comes into when a gate cracks open. Backpressure, spring rate etc (which you already know, I'm sure). If you plumb your 3 port solenoid so that it takes away pressure to the bottom as it adds it to the top, you'd be able to go well beyond your 20 psi. Rough estimate is double your spring with nothing to the bottom or top. That'd be 16 psi in your case. Psi is psi, I y

How is a 3 port plumbed this way? I thought only a 4 port could do that ? I had co2 laying around so that's why I figured I would throw it on. And incorporate the new ms3 firmware into it.
Old 03-13-2017, 12:29 PM
TECH Addict

https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-induction/1845401-4-port-boost-solenoid.html
Old 03-13-2017, 07:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 526 Likes on 356 Posts

https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-induction/1845401-4-port-boost-solenoid.html

i have my 3 port set up like forcefed86 indicates in that picture.

what is the purpose of the bleed hole in the line to the top of the dome?

(my controller doesn't have anything in the instructions about a bleed hole)
Old 03-13-2017, 08:34 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by truckdoug
i have my 3 port set up like forcefed86 indicates in that picture.

what is the purpose of the bleed hole in the line to the top of the dome?

(my controller doesn't have anything in the instructions about a bleed hole)
To relieve the pressure out of the dome. Otherwise it'll stay "trapped" once the solenoid quits cycling or closes.

Quick Reply: Co2 on wastegate