Notices
Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

LSA charger on an LS2 - educate me

Old 05-06-2017, 10:16 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LSA charger on an LS2 - educate me

Hi guys, done a bit of reading but can't find the exact info I'm after. Friend of mine has tasked me with supercharging his head+cam LS2 in a VZ Maloo (I'm in Australia). I'm looking at an LSA charger because it's quite a bit cheaper than the other opotions and capable of making "adequate" power. He isn't chasing a fixed, magical horsepower number, we're just going to piece together a good combo and see what it makes.

I'm aware of needing the adapter plates to suit the cathedral port head, my question relates the driving the charger. I'm worried about belt alignment. Will an LSA balancer go stright on the LS2 crank and line up with the charger? I believe it is an "f body style" belt arrangement on the car.

Also, will the tensioner arrangement bolt straight up? I couldn't find a detailed enough photo to show how it mounts up.

Cheers, Ben

Last edited by Ben.; 05-06-2017 at 10:21 PM.
Old 05-06-2017, 10:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ls3 heads are cheap enough. Better than going the adapter plate route. You can also buy the Lsa front drive from gmpp. There are also a few aftermarket company's to help with this. Check out lsx concepts.
Old 05-06-2017, 11:15 PM
TECH Junkie

ADM puts together LSA packages, might reach out to them?
Old 05-07-2017, 04:05 AM
9 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Pretty sure the later drive is as per the LS3 vehicles. Whether that's a VXR8/G8 or whatever it's called down under etc.

Or possibly...very possibly the last of the Monaro's might have run the closer belt position.

Either way, it's all very doable if you can piece together the parts. If someone sells a proper kit though, it always makes things easier.

The blower adaptor plates are cheap and a lot easier than heads. But I guess swapping heads too could be an opportunity for upgrade, assuming they're happy with your bore size.
Old 05-07-2017, 04:26 AM
Staging Lane

The LS2 heads have been CNC'd and for a few hundred dollars on adapter plates, it saves me pulling the heads all together.

the ADM kit does look good, however, the price of the kit plus shipping and import duties to Australia is getting REALLY close to the cost of a Magnuson kit sourced locally.

In Australia, we have the VT, VX, VY and VZ, each version was essentially a facelift of the last and all came with the LS1 (and the normal camaro style belt drive) bar the last of the VZ's, which got LS2's.

After this came the VE and VFs, which had L98, L76, L77 and LS3s. I believe these all had the shorter snout and drive. There was only the one model in the middle with the LS2 and I'm not sure what stylee belt drive it is. I can physically measure this, but that doesn't tell me where the LSA balancer/crank pulley will end up.

Is the LSA a shorter snout/corvette style setup?
Old 05-07-2017, 04:37 AM
9 Second Club

I think nearly all models from maybe 2008 or so use the shorter snout position ? So it shouldnt be too hard to get hold of parts.

Your current water pump should be fine, but you'd need to move/change alternator or PAS pumps and associated parts.
Is it a big bell water pump or one with the smaller more square faced pulley ?

Crank pulley obviously and probably move the aircon pump back if fitted.

In some cases it's probably just mounting bracket changes really.
Old 05-07-2017, 08:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

There is a guy on here "bandit Dave" he put an lsa blower on a 5.3. Should come up in a search
Old 05-07-2017, 11:53 PM
Staging Lane

Stevie, just had a look over the car, took my trusty tape measure with me, and it appears to be a complete LS1 belt setup. It has the big water pump, and I actually measured from the front face of the head to the belt, it's exactly the same as my own LS1.

moving the Alt, PS and AC is exactly what I was trying to avoid. By the time we buy all the bits, or the whole kit from ADM, it's getting close enough to the price of a Magnuson that I'd rather just buy one of those.

jimmyg, I did see banditdaves thread, he just changed all his accessories to suit.
Old 05-08-2017, 06:54 AM
9 Second Club

Your other option is to install everything as it is...and simply have a new blower pulley made with a larger offset to marry up with your belt drive ?

or modify the nose of the blower etc.
Old 05-08-2017, 07:08 AM
Staging Lane

I've actually stumbled upon that, from Olsun Kustom Works (Third-Gen on here), he sells an adapter kit to suit a variety of belt arrangements, and they are very reasonably priced. It includes a new pulley which is offset a long way back to pick up on the normal serpentine belt. Has new brackets and idlers to help keep tension on the belt.

My only concern is belt slip. The pulley is tiny at 2.45", presumably because the crank drive is smaller than the LSA supercharger drive pulley. Couple that to a 6PK belt instead of the normal 8PK, and it will surely get interesting. Being that my mates car already has the head+cam combo, we may want to turn the charger a little harder, but will have to look at an overdrive balancer for that at a later date.
Old 05-08-2017, 07:35 AM
9 Second Club

There are multiple solutions ( and problems ) to very route.

Up to you to decide what works best for you and your budget.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: LSA charger on an LS2 - educate me

About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: