Let's talk head(s) - LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion



Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Let's talk head(s)

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-15-2017, 08:41 PM   #1
10 Second Club
Thread Starter
iTrader: (13)
 
Detoxx03's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Woodward Avenue
Posts: 7,103
Cool Let's talk head(s)

I'm slowly gathering parts to finally build my car and get some money for the stock stuff before it does actually let go. Been over 5 years with great luck now.

Ok so what I have now is:
Callies Dragonslayer 3.625 stroke
Callies Ultra H rods
Custom anodized Diamond Pistons 4.125 bore

Plan for a block is the Dart LS Next Iron. Gonna grab a Mantic triple while I'm at it also. Current cam will change for new setup and I'll have a D1X since I already sold my D1SC. Compression will be over 11 since I'm flex fuel and really only use e85 anyway.

My head is literally spinning thinking about what heads to get. Considering the HIP'd TFS 245s from Tooley but I'll need to change intakes and I'm not doing sheet metal or anything fancy, PRC285s but once again would need to change intakes, grab some pricey Mast heads, or go with the Dart Pro 1 LS3's. Tooley and Bewley swear by the HIP'd TFS 245s and my builder has seen good results from the new Darts and like TFS also. The PRCs I'm iffy on and Mast is higher price wise than I want to go that's why I didn't even mention All Pro or Brodix.

I just need a little clarity and more help since this a big decision and I only want to do it once. As of now I spin the setup to 6900 and will probably bump it to 7300ish but it's all about having a efficient setup to me. Not looking to make a whole lot more power as I really didn't want to do this at all but rather do it now than later.

Thanks for the help.
Detoxx03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 01:17 PM   #2
TECH Senior Member
iTrader: (5)
 
conan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: 7,000ft
Posts: 6,446
Default

Have you looked in to any Mamo Motor sports heads for this combo ? Might be worth a call to Tony and see what he recommends.

Side note, Why did you choose the D1X over stepping up to a F series ?
conan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 02:06 PM   #3
TECH Fanatic
iTrader: (12)
 
newschool72's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: georgia
Posts: 1,711
Default

Ive heard of a couple guys making impressive NA power with the Dart LS3 variant. Boost is just a multiplier of NA power, so Id be tempted to get the heads and block from the same source.
I think SpeedTigger over in the carbed section made in the 740s on HP on a pump gas 402 with the Darts.
newschool72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 02:33 PM   #4
TECH Senior Member
iTrader: (27)
 
Rise of the Phoenix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Jefferson City, MO
Posts: 9,730
Default

Dart Pro 1 LS3's get my vote. There are also several very good guys/shops that have CNC programs for them, or can finish them by hand.
Rise of the Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 03:27 PM   #5
TECH Fanatic
iTrader: (12)
 
newschool72's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: georgia
Posts: 1,711
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rise of the Phoenix View Post
Dart Pro 1 LS3's get my vote. There are also several very good guys/shops that have CNC programs for them, or can finish them by hand.
I'm almost positive the heads on STs 402 were untouched. Granted , those were engine dyno #s, but crazy for only 402 cid and untouched heads.
newschool72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 04:39 PM   #6
TECH Enthusiast
iTrader: (6)
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Washington
Posts: 580
Default

Hit up Gavin Simcoe at SPS Cylinder Heads in Seattle, WA on Facebook.
He's got a killer LS3 program called " The Haymaker", it also doesn't hurt he was trained at SAM and does a lot of local racer heads so he knows his stuff.
He does new casting 4 and 6 bolt heads plus he's a stand up guy.
The BallSS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 05:29 PM   #7
10 Second Club
Thread Starter
iTrader: (13)
 
Detoxx03's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Woodward Avenue
Posts: 7,103
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by conan View Post
Have you looked in to any Mamo Motor sports heads for this combo ? Might be worth a call to Tony and see what he recommends.

Side note, Why did you choose the D1X over stepping up to a F series ?
I have been doing some hard research the last couple of weeks. Really getting down to decision time since the pistons will arrive next week and I want to get this build complete so I can enjoy the Michigan summer cruising.

The reason I went with the D1X is based on my experience with the D1SC. That blower made 885/773 and had power everywhere with no falling off and the torque curve was great. After consulting with Futral and my guy at ProCharger the D1X made sense for me because its basically a F series in a smaller package. Will still have a killer torque and powerband but just flow and make more. I have some results from just swapping headunits that I can't post yet but I'm very impressed and it's not even maxed out. That's on my setup as is so I can only imaging how it will perform on the new setup.
Detoxx03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 08:09 AM   #8
Staging Lane
iTrader: (3)
 
badass68's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Houston
Posts: 58
Default

Have you tore apart the old motor? Just curious how it looks.
badass68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 11:38 AM   #9
TECH Senior Member
iTrader: (5)
 
conan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: 7,000ft
Posts: 6,446
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detoxx03 View Post
I have been doing some hard research the last couple of weeks. Really getting down to decision time since the pistons will arrive next week and I want to get this build complete so I can enjoy the Michigan summer cruising.

The reason I went with the D1X is based on my experience with the D1SC. That blower made 885/773 and had power everywhere with no falling off and the torque curve was great. After consulting with Futral and my guy at ProCharger the D1X made sense for me because its basically a F series in a smaller package. Will still have a killer torque and powerband but just flow and make more. I have some results from just swapping headunits that I can't post yet but I'm very impressed and it's not even maxed out. That's on my setup as is so I can only imaging how it will perform on the new setup.
Thanks for sharing, I feel the same way about my little D1 in a street only car. Looking forward to your final product and hearing about your D1 to D1x swap results when you can share

Is your new engine block a 6 bolt head or 4 ?
conan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 01:03 PM   #10
10 Second Club
Thread Starter
iTrader: (13)
 
Detoxx03's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Woodward Avenue
Posts: 7,103
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by badass68 View Post
Have you tore apart the old motor? Just curious how it looks.
No it's still in the car until the new setup is togetger so they can just swap it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by conan View Post
Thanks for sharing, I feel the same way about my little D1 in a street only car. Looking forward to your final product and hearing about your D1 to D1x swap results when you can share

Is your new engine block a 6 bolt head or 4 ?
I can't wait. It's gonna be 6 bolt.
Detoxx03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 03:28 PM   #11
TECH Fanatic
iTrader: (12)
 
newschool72's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: georgia
Posts: 1,711
Default

I just hate you didn't push that short block till it cried. Being a fellow LS3 owner, and one that is throwing boost at it, I would like to know the power threshold for a well tuned factory rotator in the ol 6.2. No bad luck wished for ya of course.
newschool72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 03:50 PM   #12
Staging Lane
iTrader: (3)
 
badass68's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Houston
Posts: 58
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by newschool72 View Post
I just hate you didn't push that short block till it cried. Being a fellow LS3 owner, and one that is throwing boost at it, I would like to know the power threshold for a well tuned factory rotator in the ol 6.2. No bad luck wished for ya of course.
Yeah, me too. I'm at 750 at 9lbs. on mine. I'd like to drop a pulley size and shoot for 800, but my luck isn't very good and it'd probably go BOOM!
badass68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 03:53 PM   #13
Staging Lane
iTrader: (3)
 
badass68's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Houston
Posts: 58
Default

As for heads, I haven't seen the Dart LS3's in person, but I've owned four sets of SBC Dart's and every one was machined perfect and never had problems with them.
badass68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 04:39 PM   #14
8 Second Club
iTrader: (5)
 
rotary1307cc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 2,294
Default

Comparing a hip tfs to a prc... Really..
rotary1307cc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 04:44 PM   #15
TECH Resident
 
svslow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Royal Oak, MI
Posts: 870
Default

What does "hip" mean?
svslow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 04:57 PM   #16
10 Second Club
Thread Starter
iTrader: (13)
 
Detoxx03's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Woodward Avenue
Posts: 7,103
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by badass68 View Post
Yeah, me too. I'm at 750 at 9lbs. on mine. I'd like to drop a pulley size and shoot for 800, but my luck isn't very good and it'd probably go BOOM!
You can go higher

Quote:
Originally Posted by newschool72 View Post
I just hate you didn't push that short block till it cried. Being a fellow LS3 owner, and one that is throwing boost at it, I would like to know the power threshold for a well tuned factory rotator in the ol 6.2. No bad luck wished for ya of course.
If I can make a little money off of it I will. It's been handling 16psi just fine though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotary1307cc View Post
Comparing a hip tfs to a prc... Really..
PRCs are off of my list. I need to edit that.
Detoxx03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 11:09 AM   #17
TECH Enthusiast
 
a05c's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: South Lyon, Michigan
Posts: 502
Default

If it's 6 bolt already, I'd put All-Pro 12'4s on it.
a05c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 11:52 AM   #18
TECH Addict
 
Tuskyz28's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 2,354
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotary1307cc View Post
Comparing a hip tfs to a prc... Really..
Thats what im saying... REALLY REALLY?
Tuskyz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 12:02 PM   #19
8 Second Club
iTrader: (5)
 
rotary1307cc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 2,294
Default

Hahaha
rotary1307cc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 12:05 PM   #20
TECH Senior Member
iTrader: (27)
 
Rise of the Phoenix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Jefferson City, MO
Posts: 9,730
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by svslow View Post
What does "hip" mean?
Pretty sure it's when they soften up the chambers to make them more nitrous/boost friendly.
Rise of the Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
427 Dart LSn / Twin76s / OGG / 1300rwhp Build! transam69230 Forced Induction 463 07-24-2017 11:09 AM
T6: S484 Alum 346 Build Thread boss79z Forced Induction 54 05-12-2016 09:11 AM
A/F Ratio: 408 ported dart 225 changing to tfs 245s camarovon PCM Diagnostics & Tuning 4 03-04-2016 06:24 PM
It's Christmas for me? JakeFusion Generation IV Internal Engine 67 12-10-2015 03:58 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:27 PM.


 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: