Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

what's the secret

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2017, 05:41 PM
Old School Heavy

Received 68 Likes on 39 Posts

Over 2 pages of tuner squabbles............. Ugh.
Old 06-09-2017, 05:56 PM
9 Second Club

Received 180 Likes on 155 Posts

Or 10 pages...and still no secrets lol
Old 06-09-2017, 07:02 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1,751 Likes on 1,307 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

OR the both of you can lighten up and realize there are other people on this site who dont know a ton about this stuff and are happy we're bickering cause they're learning.
Old 06-09-2017, 08:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 527 Likes on 357 Posts

Originally Posted by stevieturbo
Or 10 pages...and still no secrets lol
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Secret_(book)

here ya go stevie, harness the power of positive thinking!
Old 06-10-2017, 03:32 AM
8 Second Truck Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

There was a thread in the drag racing section quite a while ago discussing a similar topic. If I remember, there was a member that runs a late model f-body in NHRA Stock. Could have been another class, but non-the-less, the dude races a ton and had a pretty good wall of trophies to back it up. Ill see if I can find it and post a link.

If I remember correctly, he went into some pretty good detail of why OLSD wins bracket/index racing.

Unfortunately, it didn't provide any "secrets" for the CLMAF guys.

At the end of the day, we are all trying to accomplish the same thing, and it can still be broken down the same way with older cars that had that weird looking thing on top (think it's called a carburetor) and big plastic spinning thing with the big wires coming out of it.....

The conclusion to all of this is very simple. All internal combustion engines need a certain amount of fuel and spark lead to perform at their best. So who cares if one guy goes about it with the NASA Control Center under the dash, or one guy does it by paying some kid to sit under the hood and pour gasoline down it in perfect unison with the drivers right foot. If both motors are getting the perfect amount of fuel, is it worth arguing about how that perfect amount of fuel was delivered?
Old 06-10-2017, 03:38 AM
8 Second Truck Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The post above about the new mopars being speed density takes me back to the mid-90's when it was all the rage to have the best MAF money could buy for your 5.0 mustang. So much **** was talked about the 1986 models because they were speed density. You didn't want to be caught dead at a friday/saturday night parking lot meet with the hood up on your 86. lol
Old 06-12-2017, 06:57 AM
TECH Addict

Received 604 Likes on 443 Posts

i was still wearing diapers in 86
Old 06-12-2017, 07:56 AM
TECH Addict

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by ddnspider
OR the both of you can lighten up and realize there are other people on this site who dont know a ton about this stuff and are happy we're bickering cause they're learning.
Other guys point is taken, but I do agree with you as well. New info for me so all good. As long as it doesn't get ugly.
Old 06-12-2017, 08:09 AM
TECH Addict

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Blown06
The post above about the new mopars being speed density takes me back to the mid-90's when it was all the rage to have the best MAF money could buy for your 5.0 mustang. So much **** was talked about the 1986 models because they were speed density. You didn't want to be caught dead at a friday/saturday night parking lot meet with the hood up on your 86. lol
I was out of diapers in 86, but not for too many years. Any knowledge I have - or had before I came here a few years ago - about MAf vs SD actually comes from the 5 liter fox mustangs. I had a 91 sometime around 2000 and was OBSESSED with everything and anything about 5 liter mustangs. And while my car never went very far as far as modifications go, I read anything and everything about them. And MAF, as you point out, was waaaaaaaaay better than the older SD cars. And I recall reading about the horror stories people had trying to get an SD car to run with a new cam, hell even new intake manifolds IIRC. So I found it very odd a couple of years ago when I came across someone looking to go SD. It was Actually Dr. Wighams now sold Camaro. He was at like 460RWHP and was going to get it retuned and go SD. I was like WTF? I think he gained 5rwhp.

Anyway, it seemed like those 5.0 MAF cars could handle all sorts of mods without tuning, so I've come to think of MAF as the right way to go as it senses how much air and figures out what to do with it. I had a friend around then that put a HCI 342 is his car. It ran amazing, I don't recall him ever having to tune it.

I "grew up" in the late 90's early 2000's. Then got married, bought a house, sold my 5.0, started driving my stock Silverado and started buying new VW's for the wife every few years. I read all the new car mags, but stopped reading anything about hotrod type stuff. Then I said F it - ten years with no car, I'm getting back in. And bought the TA in my sig because I wanted one since they came out in 93 before I could even drive.

Long story short, I do not claim to be an expert because I'm not and don't want internet bragging rights. So threads like this help people like me.

Quick Reply: what's the secret