Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

3" Downpipe limitations on 6.0

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2017, 09:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default 3" Downpipe limitations on 6.0

Curious if anyone has really pushed a 3" dp and a 76/75 turbo on a 364 ci engine. It seems like they'll go Lil further on a smaller engine. Guesstimating that I'm around 800 rw running 141 @ 3750 lbs. I really like my full exhaust to the axle and don't wanna do a fender exit. Seen some people run a bigger dp through stock k as well but I prolly would need a large frame turbo to really benefit.
Old 06-12-2017, 11:01 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by laytoncamaroz28
Curious if anyone has really pushed a 3" dp and a 76/75 turbo on a 364 ci engine. It seems like they'll go Lil further on a smaller engine. Guesstimating that I'm around 800 rw running 141 @ 3750 lbs. I really like my full exhaust to the axle and don't wanna do a fender exit. Seen some people run a bigger dp through stock k as well but I prolly would need a large frame turbo to really benefit.
Made 820/910 with the ls2 and 3 inch downpipe out the back with stock location exhaust.... with a magnaflow muffler. And that was on a fairly safe tune.
Old 06-12-2017, 11:08 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

If that 141 was on a clean pass, leaving in boost with no spinning... you might be estimating a bit high.
Old 06-12-2017, 11:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

I believe it's close to 800, 780 no doubt. Made 700 on prior setup and ran 131. Just doing lil math and using some calculators and seems to be close to 800. She's pretty heavy so that don't help. But none the less, if losing weight was easy I'd just do that. But I'm gonna add a roll bar so gonna have to add some power since the weight is so hi.
Old 06-13-2017, 03:06 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I saw an interesting thread on an Evo forum about a guy who had reached the limit of what he could flow through his dump pipe, so he added a wastegate to it, which he could run in a more convenient location, and plumbed it up so it would only open under boost anyway.

The end result was more total exhaust flow, but he didn't have to cut up the car or put up with any more noise when driving normally.
Old 06-13-2017, 07:17 AM
Staging Lane

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Ben.
I saw an interesting thread on an Evo forum about a guy who had reached the limit of what he could flow through his dump pipe, so he added a wastegate to it, which he could run in a more convenient location, and plumbed it up so it would only open under boost anyway.

The end result was more total exhaust flow, but he didn't have to cut up the car or put up with any more noise when driving normally.
I did the same thing on my RX7. I had a 4" downpipe but a very restrictive and quiet 3" catback. I added a Chinese 60mm wastegate right to the side of the downpipe and plumbed it to open in boost. It made almost 60whp more on the dyno with the wastegate open. Another solution would be those Loudvalves. They'd definitely flow more than the wastegate. This was on a rotary engine at over 500whp, which is closer to 650whp of air flow on a piston engine.

Old 06-13-2017, 10:00 AM
TECH Apprentice

That is a very very interesting idea. And I appreciate it. I'm gonna definatly have to try that.
Old 06-13-2017, 10:53 AM
TECH Addict

Received 195 Likes on 162 Posts

Why not just run a loud valve and set it for x boost vs another wastegate? Isn't it basically doing the same thing? It would certainly flow better. The loud valve would be cheaper than a decent wastegate, but I guess not a Chinese copy. To me, at that point, it's splitting hairs.
Old 06-13-2017, 10:57 AM
TECH Addict

Received 497 Likes on 384 Posts

I'm currently running a 3" down pipe into a full 3" crimp bent exhaust with the biggest Magnaflow I can fit in the stock location.
Its very quiet which is great for cruising but is definitely choked up.
I added a 3" QTP Electric Cutout right under the driver floor board under my feet and it made a huge of difference.
I don't have any dyno figures yet but when its open its like having a higher boost setting lol.
I feel like if you run the cutout down stream from the turbine a bit your not hitting it with that super hot exhaust and it may extend its life. $.02
Old 06-13-2017, 11:00 AM
Staging Lane

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by rpturbo
Why not just run a loud valve and set it for x boost vs another wastegate? Isn't it basically doing the same thing? It would certainly flow better. The loud valve would be cheaper than a decent wastegate, but I guess not a Chinese copy. To me, at that point, it's splitting hairs.
When I did the wastegate, the Loudvalves weren't really popular yet. The form factor of the wastegate also worked well and required less space. I think I spent $110 on the wastegate and had to return it for a replacement after it blew into 20 pieces on the dyno. The bolts holding the top portion to the stainless body were too short and it seperated. I replaced the bolts on the replacement gate and it didn't give me any problems.

That said, I bought 2 roudvarves on Aliexpress and put one in each downpipe in the LS :/

Quick Reply: 3" Downpipe limitations on 6.0