Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Supercharger or turbo for street racing a 6 speed ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2017, 07:00 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by gsteele
You had two combinations with the same vehicle where the only variable was the compression ratio? Did you just change pistons and what were the two ratios?
Same vehicle, high 8:1 compression 347ci to a 10.2:1 compression 383ci. Only pistons and crank were changed. Everything else stayed the same, heads, cam, exhaust, intake, pulley combo, ect.

Last edited by conan; 06-17-2017 at 07:26 AM.
Old 06-17-2017, 10:16 AM
TECH Resident

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

It seems like the only guys that are voting supercharger haven't had experience with a properly setup turbo car.

Turbos take quite a bit more work to get to hook on the street. Control boost well and have a good suspension setup with a decent tire and your good to go

Last edited by stoverz28; 06-20-2017 at 08:27 AM.
Old 06-20-2017, 08:09 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 70 Likes on 62 Posts

Maybe, ask the local police chief which power adder is on most of the cars they stop??
Old 06-21-2017, 09:11 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sweet99ss
Lol at "low end torque" with a procharger kit. If you think torque from a procharged car is brutal you haven't driven a turbo car...
WTF are you talking about? Should I post you a Dyno graph from My turbo car vs my Procharger car? Dip ****... I'm the one who build and has both. Do you???? nope... so stfu
Old 06-22-2017, 12:23 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not trying to step into the brawl, but I think you'd be hard pressed to find a supercharged setup make more low end torque than a setup with a lit turbo on the low end. Superchargers are lineal to engine rpm remember? Turbos only need exhaust gas/heat to spin to the moon at whatever rpm ESPECIALLY with a 2 step
Old 06-22-2017, 02:06 AM
9 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

After being around a zr1 and ls9 ctsv that would be hard to beat for a 6 speed Street car. I daily drove a 6 speed ls1 with a precision 76/75 setup for a long time. It was a ton of fun but really wasn't great at anything. I don't street race but I made enough power to run 9s but could only run mid 10s while breaking lots of ****. I think manuals are a lot more fun with procharged or lsa , ls9 type blowers. My auto car on the other hand I enjoy the hell out of on the street and even more on the track. But I'm a person who likes to see the upgrades I make result in better ets and mph. Not many people argue on a car that will hook 900 rwhp in 1st gear on the street.
Old 06-22-2017, 03:58 AM
10 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 37 Posts

What type of racing? I like my ProCharged setup overall especially with the manual. I had a auto/nitrous f body and it was ok but love this setup way more.

Turbo will make more torque and be a little more unpredictable but the centri will be more manageable.
Old 06-22-2017, 09:01 AM
TECH Resident

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 2BAD4U
WTF are you talking about? Should I post you a Dyno graph from My turbo car vs my Procharger car? Dip ****... I'm the one who build and has both. Do you???? nope... so stfu
Well that seems to be the consensus around here. Please do post them, with details.
Old 06-22-2017, 06:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

If you actually go out racing you already see the answer and who's faster in your area.

Unless you're so ******* slow you can't even see their tail lights....
Old 06-22-2017, 08:38 PM
9 Second Club

Not everyone lives in Texas. There is 0 street racing scene in my area. Cops throw your *** in jail and impound your car here. The charges are almost worse than murder.
Old 06-23-2017, 09:12 AM
TECH Addict

Received 496 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by imma_stocker
If you actually go out racing you already see the answer and who's faster in your area.

Unless you're so ******* slow you can't even see their tail lights....
The autos have the majority in my area but almost all are turbo cars with a few centri cars.
Myself and a couple other guys are holding down the man pedal life lol.
My buddy runs a 4th gen 408/PT8096/T56 combo and would be a mid to low 9 sec car easy with an auto but the manual is too much fun, I'm in the same boat lol.
I have a buddy go from T56 to 4L80 in his TT 4th gen and while he missed the shifting the car pulled endlessly and was still just as fun for him.
$.02
Old 06-23-2017, 09:13 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Nitroused383
Not everyone lives in Texas. There is 0 street racing scene in my area. Cops throw your *** in jail and impound your car here. The charges are almost worse than murder.
Where in Washington you from boss, I have an idea with your comment on street racing lol.
Old 06-23-2017, 03:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by The ******
The autos have the majority in my area but almost all are turbo cars with a few centri cars.
This is my point.

Down here in mexico.... dig cars are mostly nitrous through an auto. Rollers are mostly boosted using whatever fits best to produce their silly hp goal.
Old 06-23-2017, 04:23 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by The ******
Where in Washington you from boss, I have an idea with your comment on street racing lol.
I'm in Spokane, what part of the state are you in?
Old 06-23-2017, 08:21 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

This is done in Texas as well. I used to live in Texas, and I believe it is now a felony to get caught street racing .....they're not playing.
Old 06-23-2017, 09:30 PM
TECH Addict

Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

lol I love how everyone watches videos on YouTube and on tv and think Texas is just so relaxed as far as street racing goes. Well it's not, atleast not in my area. There are cops literally everywhere. From my house to Autozone is 5 miles and you will see no less than 3 cops on the way. There is a cop like every 2 miles in every direction. It really blows, but on the other hand we have a very low crime rate.
Old 06-26-2017, 06:29 PM
TECH Addict

I'm in Spokane, what part of the state are you in?
HA!
I knew it, I'm on the other side of the hill in Tacompton. (Tacoma)
I used to frequent the Kent street races but when they started using helicopters to bust people I could see the writing on the wall lol.
Old 06-26-2017, 07:02 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1,736 Likes on 1,297 Posts

Being in the camp whose actually owned and driven a blown fbody and a turbod fbody....LOL at anyone who thinks a turbo has more low-end than a blower. Turbos have this thing called lag and a boost threshold whereas blowers are rpm dependent and will get into positive pressure before a turbo. Blower cars are much snappier off throttle unless you're a Bentley and make full boost at 2000rpms. If you want to argue the boost curve and mid-range and torque curve of a turbo is better than a blower thats fine, but low-end(idle-3500) its all blower.
Old 06-26-2017, 08:48 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ddnspider
Being in the camp whose actually owned and driven a blown fbody and a turbod fbody....LOL at anyone who thinks a turbo has more low-end than a blower. Turbos have this thing called lag and a boost threshold whereas blowers are rpm dependent and will get into positive pressure before a turbo. Blower cars are much snappier off throttle unless you're a Bentley and make full boost at 2000rpms. If you want to argue the boost curve and mid-range and torque curve of a turbo is better than a blower thats fine, but low-end(idle-3500) its all blower.
AMEN... That was my whole point but sweet99ss just doesn't know Jack from crap and crap left town. If I'm putting in 2nd gear 1,600 rpms and punch it with my procharger car it will light up 315 Mickey Thompson street radials and make them beg for me to let off the throttle. My other car that had same cubic inch motor with T4 S480 1.10 AR 6sp before I went auto and bigger set up with 275 Mickey Thompson street radials would kinda almost bog. just gutless until about 3,200 then game on and game over. The instant snap and power from blower car is quite fun on the street. hell even when you drop from 4th to 2nd in a turbo 6 so there's that like full second of lag before it spools and comes alive. Procharger 6sp hang on for the ride. it's going to go sideways or pull instantly. depending on set up. Now im not saying I hated my 6sp turbo car. because once spooled it was a Vicious animal. Pulled extremely hard. felt like twice the G force of my procharger car. just violent. But low end off idle, not near as fun as blower car. so overall... I like my procharged A.C. car for street. Track I wouldn't have it any other way but my turbo auto car. My experience with both my cars and .02 cents. Now I'm waiting for haters to say... Oh you had it set up all wrong... bla bla ..bla.. If set up right.... bla bla bla... Then they'll try and claim they've had both bla bla bla... yet I TRULY do... And few other of my buddies have to... And said same thing. but they swapped it out in same exact car. 1 went d1sc to precision 76mm another from F1 to pt88 both 6 speed cars. So...... Take it for what you will. Both will be fun. But I'm telling you procharger and 6sp for daily street is where it's at.

Last edited by 2BAD4U; 06-26-2017 at 08:51 PM. Reason: spelling error
Old 06-26-2017, 09:02 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by ddnspider
I surreee wish that I lived in Florida....

Quick Reply: Supercharger or turbo for street racing a 6 speed ?