Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Supercharger or turbo for street racing a 6 speed ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2017 | 10:37 AM
TECH Addict
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by SLOW SEDAN
Most all of them have the capability, some call it temporary overboost, scramble mode, etc.. AEM, eboost, NLR, etc just depends how much you want to spend. I like the built in Holley controller but they all seem to use the same solenoid. The solenoid defaults to normally open so its whatever your wastegate spring pressure is. The only failures I've seen are from dipshits installing a controller and cranking the boost over what the engine or fuel system can handle. You use the controller to control the solenoid duty cycle which restricts the boost signal to the wastegate so you can run more boost then the spring pressure. Blocking the boost signal until desired boost is reached usually results in faster spool as well.
That's what I've learned recently as well, faster spool and a some incorporate an O2 sensor to cut boost when the engine goes lean which I like.
I wouldn't mind having just a couple settings. (6 lbs./10 lbs./12-13 lbs. on a button perhaps)
I'd be curious to know how it helps the turbo spool faster as well.
Old 06-28-2017 | 11:39 AM
TECH Regular
10 Year Member

You use the controller to control the solenoid duty cycle which restricts the boost signal to the wastegate so you can run more boost then the spring pressure.
"more boost then the spring pressure." I don't understand. It goes above spring pressure boost then reverts to spring boost? How much more boost and for how long until it reverts back to spring pressure boost?
Old 06-28-2017 | 12:50 PM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by The ******
That's what I've learned recently as well, faster spool and a some incorporate an O2 sensor to cut boost when the engine goes lean which I like.
I wouldn't mind having just a couple settings. (6 lbs./10 lbs./12-13 lbs. on a button perhaps)
I'd be curious to know how it helps the turbo spool faster as well.
Yes some have a 5v input/output that can link to an oil pressure, fuel pressure, or o2 sensor and provide a fail safe.

It helps spool because its blocking the boost signal from the wastegate until your desired setting. If you run a normal vacuum line to your wastegate it will start to crack before the total open pressure which slows spool. You can also add boost pressure to the top port to keep the wastegate closed, sometimes in a high backpressure setup can lead to slow spool.

Originally Posted by gsteele
"more boost then the spring pressure." I don't understand. It goes above spring pressure boost then reverts to spring boost? How much more boost and for how long until it reverts back to spring pressure boost?
The point of a boost controller is to run higher boost then your installed spring pressure, pretty much boost 101. Multiple ways to set these up with 3 port, 4 port, dual solenoids, etc.. Either way the solenoid makes the wastegate "see" less pressure on the bottom "opening side" port by bleeding some off from the pressure source. Other setups add the boost pressure to the top "closing side" port to clamp the wastegate shut until desired boost level is reached. When you have a safety setup then it can revert to spring pressure, and if its tied into software it can also pull timing or totally cut ignition in an overboost situation.
Old 06-28-2017 | 01:04 PM
TECH Regular
10 Year Member

The point of a boost controller is to run higher boost then your installed spring pressure, pretty much boost 101.
You keep saying higher boost then it changes to spring boost. Why? I thought a boost controller would put the boost wherever you wanted it whether it was higher than or equal to spring pressure. It did not have to revert to spring pressure which you imply by saying "run higher boost then your installed spring pressure."
Old 06-28-2017 | 01:57 PM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by gsteele
You keep saying higher boost then it changes to spring boost. Why? I thought a boost controller would put the boost wherever you wanted it whether it was higher than or equal to spring pressure. It did not have to revert to spring pressure which you imply by saying "run higher boost then your installed spring pressure."
You must be missing something, the boost controller has no issue holding boost higher then the spring pressure. It only reverts to spring pressure when you have a safety setup or you have the boost controller turned off.

For example you can have 3 boost settings even with a cheap controller: controller off - spring pressure, setting 1 - 50% duty cycle (~1.5x spring pressure) and setting 2 - 100% duty cycle (2x spring pressure). During setting 1 or 2, if you have a safety setup (oil-fuel-A/F,etc) on the controller it can revert to spring pressure to help save the engine.

But really we have been able to get 35PSI out of even 12lb springs with a controller set the bottom port so the 2x rule isn't set in stone, just a guideline.
Old 06-28-2017 | 06:30 PM
TECH Resident

To add to that, boost controllers work by adding pressure to the top of the wastegate (ie increasing spring pressure) or by bleeding boost off to the bottom so that the gate is sort of fooled into thinking the system is seeing less pressure. Controllers cannot, due to mechanics, go below spring pressure.
Old 06-29-2017 | 10:06 AM
TECH Junkie
20 Year Member

Originally Posted by sweet99ss
TURBO > Supercharger for performance PERIOD

Only if your definition of Performance is defined as long straight line acceleration
Old 06-29-2017 | 11:32 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 30th t/a
Only if your definition of Performance is defined as long straight line acceleration
Nope that's a big part of it and what 90+% of people on here do, but just get a smaller turbo and it will spool instantly and still make more then most blower setups without any belt slip... I know my T7878 makes more power sooner at the same boost level as any of my procharged setups, so I don't know why it wouldn't be used for auto-x or something else.
Old 06-29-2017 | 01:07 PM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by 30th t/a
I think Germany tends to disagree... M3, M4, M5 all turbo, lots of turbo Benz's, plenty of turbo VW/Audi's, even the ATS-V is turbo and it competes well in GT3.
Old 06-29-2017 | 01:11 PM
8 Second Club

Nope that's a big part of it and what 90+% of people on here do, but just get a smaller turbo and it will spool instantly and still make more then most blower setups without any belt slip... I know my T7878 makes more power sooner at the same boost level as any of my procharged setups, so I don't know why it wouldn't be used for auto-x or something else.
Rally racing doesn't seem to have any issues with turbos, almost all have antilag to stay in boost even when the wheels aren't on the ground.

I've raced multiple turbo cars in auto-x as well as road races, hardly an issue. Do some data logging and you can dial in the setup nicely.
Old 06-29-2017 | 02:17 PM
On The Tree

Fastest cars in the world... And check out that TURBO.... LMAO Wouldn't want to use a blower because of belt slip, rob power and slower then turbo car. Blower cars can't be faster then a turbo and they are just So..... Inefficient. 😃😄😅🤣😂

Last edited by 2BAD4U; 06-29-2017 at 02:24 PM.
Old 06-29-2017 | 03:59 PM
10 Second Club

Post's terrible picture of all out race car that gets torn down and rebuilt every pass LOL... I can't count how many times I watch those guys throw blower belts while making a pass....

"Take that you 9 second turbo street cars!!!"
Old 06-29-2017 | 04:07 PM
10 Second Club

Belt slip whats that?
Old 06-29-2017 | 04:12 PM
10 Second Club

You wouldn't know you have a vette kit lol
Old 06-29-2017 | 04:16 PM
TECH Junkie

post's terrible picture of all out race car that gets torn down and rebuilt every pass lol... I can't count how many times i watch those guys throw blower belts while making a pass....

"take that you 9 second turbo street cars!!!"
×10!!!
Old 06-29-2017 | 05:07 PM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by Detoxx03
Belt slip whats that?
Its what happens when you take your bitch mittens off and run 25+ PSI.
Old 06-29-2017 | 05:50 PM
TECH Addict
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by Game ova
×10!!!
Lol.
My car doesn't even make enough to power to run that blower at the power level those guys run.
Old 06-29-2017 | 06:05 PM
10 Second Club

Its what happens when you take your bitch mittens off and run 25+ PSI.
Bitch mittens is a new one. Not sure I need 25psi to achieve anything.
Old 06-29-2017 | 06:11 PM
10 Second Club
20 Year Member

Originally Posted by 2BAD4U
Fastest cars in the world... And check out that TURBO.... LMAO Wouldn't want to use a blower because of belt slip, rob power and slower then turbo car. Blower cars can't be faster then a turbo and they are just So..... Inefficient. 😃😄😅🤣😂
Top fuel dragsters run turbos too.....oh wait!!!!!
Old 06-29-2017 | 06:43 PM
9 Second Club

People here use top fuel motors on their road cars ?

Quick Reply: Supercharger or turbo for street racing a 6 speed ?