Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Supercharger or turbo for street racing a 6 speed ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2017, 05:12 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Guess I'm just 2BAD4U All... Or maybe I'm stating FACTS!!! Fact that I OWN and built both as I've said over and over... I "live " it and drive it... Daily... So there for I have room to speak here. Let alone all the other cars I've built for people. So fact is turbos have lag, not greatest for daily driving, especially 6 speed cars. Blower simply works better for daily driving. Much easier install. less head aches ect. Once again Turbos will be faster and make more hp per pound of boost. But they do have lag and their down faults. So on TOPIC here... Blowers kick *** for daily driven cars. especially with a manual transmission car. Turbo cars love automatic transmissions end of story. I love both my cars but for daily driving my blown car has INSTANT gobbs of power. When I had my turbo car with 6 speed. It didn't have near the low end or acceleration off idle. It felt more gutless then when it was heads and cam car. felt like a potato was shoved up my exhaust then around 3,400 POWWWWW So flipping violent. Was like a sling shot... Blower car boost is leanure, car is more controllable. Still very fast, but not as fast on top end. But my friend and I both said my procharger car would eat my S480 car from a 0 to 100 or 20 to 100 when it had manual in it, and yes it had 2 step. but With auto now that's all changed. However, now it has a auto in it, it's less fun to drive too. So I drive blower car everywhere... A.C. is nice too.
Old 06-27-2017, 05:29 PM
11 Second Club

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by The ******
Mine isn't a drag car, I campaigned a BBC nitrous car for many years, I wanna go auto-crossing now so that's what mine is set up for.
I think my last outing was 12.23 @126 mph, not fast but fun lol.
I admit, sitting in the staging lanes with the AC on is much nicer than sweating my ***** off in a fire suit and black race car. Winning!
A/C should be off in staging lanes. I've seen people get fucked from someone else dripping water down the track. Don't get mad, just noting.
Old 06-27-2017, 05:30 PM
TECH Addict

Received 502 Likes on 388 Posts

Originally Posted by 2BAD4U
Guess I'm just 2BAD4U All... Or maybe I'm stating FACTS!!! Fact that I OWN and built both as I've said over and over... I "live " it and drive it... Daily... So there for I have room to speak here. Let alone all the other cars I've built for people. So fact is turbos have lag, not greatest for daily driving, especially 6 speed cars. Blower simply works better for daily driving. Much easier install. less head aches ect. Once again Turbos will be faster and make more hp per pound of boost. But they do have lag and their down faults. So on TOPIC here... Blowers kick *** for daily driven cars. especially with a manual transmission car. Turbo cars love automatic transmissions end of story. I love both my cars but for daily driving my blown car has INSTANT gobbs of power. When I had my turbo car with 6 speed. It didn't have near the low end or acceleration off idle. It felt more gutless then when it was heads and cam car. felt like a potato was shoved up my exhaust then around 3,400 POWWWWW So flipping violent. Was like a sling shot... Blower car boost is leanure, car is more controllable. Still very fast, but not as fast on top end. But my friend and I both said my procharger car would eat my S480 car from a 0 to 100 or 20 to 100 when it had manual in it, and yes it had 2 step. but With auto now that's all changed. However, now it has a auto in it, it's less fun to drive too. So I drive blower car everywhere... A.C. is nice too.
Triggered lol.
Old 06-27-2017, 05:37 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by SoFla01SSLookinstok
A/C should be off in staging lanes. I've seen people get fucked from someone else dripping water down the track. Don't get mad, just noting.
Why would I get mad?
I typically race with other guys on regular street tires since my local track runs the guys with bias ply and radial drag tires separately.
I will certainly file that away though because last thing I want to do is hurt someone.
Old 06-27-2017, 07:51 PM
8 Second Club

Received 944 Likes on 700 Posts

100mph isn't even an 1/8th mile hit, what about the back half? What did each setup run? Not sure about you but my blower and turbo setups 60' almost identically but the turbo just dicked the blower on the top end.

Couple good examples: my buddies Ctsv, ran high 9's with a 427 and a 2.9 blower, had a violent low end but fell flat up top. He swapped to a 5.3 turbo and ran bottom 9's 10mph faster. My car ran mid 10's with a 6.0L and a blower, swapped to 5.3 turbo and ran mid 9's 15mph faster.

With both setups the blower "felt" faster down low until you looked at the slips or clicked it into 4th and felt the pull. Turbo for sure is top end king.
Old 06-27-2017, 08:50 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

Seems that with supercharger being king as far as down low power is concerned, you would think that companies such as Volvo, Freightliner, Detroit... and various others would ditch these lame turbos. Gonna tell my boss to order me a F1-x so that I can be more productive.
Old 06-27-2017, 11:48 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Game ova
Seems that with supercharger being king as far as down low power is concerned, you would think that companies such as Volvo, Freightliner, Detroit... and various others would ditch these lame turbos. Gonna tell my boss to order me a F1-x so that I can be more productive.
Did you just really go there??? COMPARE a turbo on a diesel motor VS gas??? Wow... Now that's hilarious

Last edited by 2BAD4U; 06-28-2017 at 07:28 AM.
Old 06-27-2017, 11:53 PM
On The Tree

But seeing how your dumb *** just did... I'll school ya lil boy...

read in weep...

Don't forget the bold...

Why Supercharge? A Broad Power Curve, with Instant Response!

lol btw you might want to show this to your boss...

http://www.trucktrend.com/how-to/expert-advice/1208dp-supercharge-your-diesel-truck/

Last edited by 2BAD4U; 06-28-2017 at 07:29 AM.
Old 06-28-2017, 12:01 AM
10 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

TURBO > Supercharger for performance PERIOD
Old 06-28-2017, 12:23 AM
TECH Junkie

But seeing how your dumb *** just did... I'll school ya lil boy...

read in weep...

Don't forget the bold...

Why Supercharge? A Broad Power Curve, with Instant Response!

lol btw you might want to show this to you boss...

http://www.trucktrend.com/how-to/expert-advice/1208dp-supercharge-your-diesel-truck/
Dude....its a joke. Sheezus, it's like a bunch of 8 year old kids in here..
Old 06-28-2017, 12:31 AM
TECH Junkie

Did you just really go there??? COMPAIR a turbo on a diesel motor VS gas??? Wow... Now that's hilarious
It's compare.This guy can't spell, and has the nerve to capitalize the ****. Grab yourself a McMillan 4th grade spelling book and study. Superchargers and turbos aren't something you need to be focused on.
Old 06-28-2017, 12:41 AM
10 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

lol... Somebody is taking this to seriously
Old 06-28-2017, 12:52 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by sweet99ss
lol... Somebody is taking this to seriously
Who, me?? NEVER!!!
Old 06-28-2017, 06:43 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1,737 Likes on 1,298 Posts

Originally Posted by SLOW SEDAN
100mph isn't even an 1/8th mile hit, what about the back half? What did each setup run? Not sure about you but my blower and turbo setups 60' almost identically but the turbo just dicked the blower on the top end.

Couple good examples: my buddies Ctsv, ran high 9's with a 427 and a 2.9 blower, had a violent low end but fell flat up top. He swapped to a 5.3 turbo and ran bottom 9's 10mph faster. My car ran mid 10's with a 6.0L and a blower, swapped to 5.3 turbo and ran mid 9's 15mph faster.

With both setups the blower "felt" faster down low until you looked at the slips or clicked it into 4th and felt the pull. Turbo for sure is top end king.
Isn't the 2.9 undersized for a 427? I would imagine thats why it ran out of breath up top, while the 5.3 had a turbo properly sized for top end.
Old 06-28-2017, 07:51 AM
8 Second Club

Who, me?? NEVER!!!
Haha bullshitting about cars makes the work day go faster! I like how too bad skipped over my post and didn't post any details to back his claim.

Originally Posted by ddnspider
Isn't the 2.9 undersized for a 427? I would imagine thats why it ran out of breath up top, while the 5.3 had a turbo properly sized for top end.
Not really it made good power to 7k rpm. However it was being spun to the max to make ~800whp. Without going to the 4L unit wasn't really an easy way to step up and dealing with pulley setups sucked. I just found it funny these little 5.3's are out performing larger engine and blower setups that are supposed to be the bees knees.

I haven't seen boost control brought up for a street car. In cabin boost control is worth it's weight in gold for a turbo car. You can do gear based boost control fairly easily or time based ramp is built into most controllers as well to dial in the hit. Plus if you happen to find a good race you can hit overboost button for the win!
Old 06-28-2017, 08:00 AM
10 Second Club

Haha bullshitting about cars makes the work day go faster! I like how too bad skipped over my post and didn't post any details to back his claim.

Not really it made good power to 7k rpm. However it was being spun to the max to make ~800whp. Without going to the 4L unit wasn't really an easy way to step up and dealing with pulley setups sucked. I just found it funny these little 5.3's are out performing larger engine and blower setups that are supposed to be the bees knees.

I haven't seen boost control brought up for a street car. In cabin boost control is worth it's weight in gold for a turbo car. You can do gear based boost control fairly easily or time based ramp is built into most controllers as well to dial in the hit. Plus if you happen to find a good race you can hit overboost button for the win!
You ever mess with a wastegated setup on a blower?
Old 06-28-2017, 08:30 AM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by ddnspider
You ever mess with a wastegated setup on a blower?
I haven't, but that's mainly due to nobody in our group wanting to run less then 20psi so we don't need to bleed any off we just wanna send it!
Old 06-28-2017, 09:09 AM
10 Second Club

I haven't, but that's mainly due to nobody in our group wanting to run less then 20psi so we don't need to bleed any off we just wanna send it!
LOL nice.
Old 06-28-2017, 09:20 AM
TECH Addict

I haven't seen boost control brought up for a street car. In cabin boost control is worth it's weight in gold for a turbo car. You can do gear based boost control fairly easily or time based ramp is built into most controllers as well to dial in the hit. Plus if you happen to find a good race you can hit overboost button for the win![/QUOTE]

Now this interests me, I've been considering a boost controller being that I'm on the gate spring only but was unsure where to start.
I've read about several people who's controller failed and over boosted the engine resulting in engine damage.
How does one select a good boost controller with that over boost button you mentioned?
Old 06-28-2017, 10:08 AM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by The ******
Now this interests me, I've been considering a boost controller being that I'm on the gate spring only but was unsure where to start.
I've read about several people who's controller failed and over boosted the engine resulting in engine damage.
How does one select a good boost controller with that over boost button you mentioned?
Most all of them have the capability, some call it temporary overboost, scramble mode, etc.. AEM, eboost, NLR, etc just depends how much you want to spend. I like the built in Holley controller but they all seem to use the same solenoid. The solenoid defaults to normally open so its whatever your wastegate spring pressure is. The only failures I've seen are from dipshits installing a controller and cranking the boost over what the engine or fuel system can handle. You use the controller to control the solenoid duty cycle which restricts the boost signal to the wastegate so you can run more boost then the spring pressure. Blocking the boost signal until desired boost is reached usually results in faster spool as well.

Quick Reply: Supercharger or turbo for street racing a 6 speed ?