Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

How much HP will I lose, reducer on inducer?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2017, 09:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default How much HP will I lose, reducer on inducer?

Just installed a Huron ac kit... as I'm sure you all know it's very cramped between the radiator and engine for the turbo and hotside... with that said, the kit places the filter to the turbo inlet right in the middle of the hotside with not much room at all... in order to route the filter out of the area I believe I'll need to run a reducer from 4" to 3" because of limited space, and get the filter into some cooler air.... How much power will I give up with a reducer on the inlet of the turbo? Or any other routing configurations would be appreciated! Thanks
Old 07-12-2017, 10:29 AM
TECH Addict

Received 496 Likes on 383 Posts

Hola, I'm currently running a Huron V1 AC kit with a Turbonetics T7875 turbo too.
I used a Spectre tapered filter right off the turbo and even at 11-12 lbs. with my CX Racing intercooler my IAT's rarely ever get above ambient temp. so I wouldn't invest a bunch of time and money in finding a remote location for the turbo.
Throw an air filter on the turbo inlet and see what your IAT's look like.
As for power I don't think you'd see enough of a difference to matter much, I don't anyways lol.
Old 07-12-2017, 10:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by The ******
Hola, I'm currently running a Huron V1 AC kit with a Turbonetics T7875 turbo too.
I used a Spectre tapered filter right off the turbo and even at 11-12 lbs. with my CX Racing intercooler my IAT's rarely ever get above ambient temp. so I wouldn't invest a bunch of time and money in finding a remote location for the turbo.
Throw an air filter on the turbo inlet and see what your IAT's look like.
As for power I don't think you'd see enough of a difference to matter much, I don't anyways lol.
thanks for the experience.... in case I misspoke, I'm not looking to move the turbo or any of the hotside, was just curious if it was beneficial to get the filter out in some cooler air before going into the inlet
Old 07-12-2017, 03:57 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I know what your asking...which will make more power:

1. Hot air with turbo right on filter
2. Cooler air with small plumbing

I typically run right on the compressor if I cannot plumb the size of the compressor inlet somewhere acceptable. Some resent data I can provide is on my ecoboost truck: With the SAME intake plumbing and air filters between both tests, I ran open filters on the side of the engine bay first, and then now run it with an enclosure around it with vents on the bottom of the enclosure near the wheel and behind the headlight. The difference in my manifold temperatures is ~20 degree F consistently under boost. Not huge considering its like 140 deg F without the plastic enclosure and 120 deg F with the enclosure.
Old 07-12-2017, 06:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by roastin240
I know what your asking...which will make more power:

1. Hot air with turbo right on filter
2. Cooler air with small plumbing

I typically run right on the compressor if I cannot plumb the size of the compressor inlet somewhere acceptable. Some resent data I can provide is on my ecoboost truck: With the SAME intake plumbing and air filters between both tests, I ran open filters on the side of the engine bay first, and then now run it with an enclosure around it with vents on the bottom of the enclosure near the wheel and behind the headlight. The difference in my manifold temperatures is ~20 degree F consistently under boost. Not huge considering its like 140 deg F without the plastic enclosure and 120 deg F with the enclosure.
exactly! Thanks for that info, 20 degrees is quite a bit but like you mentioned, it's not great considering how hot the iats still are in both instances, I'll probably run it off the compressor and see how hot it gets, summer is here in Florida so it should be a good test
ps I live down the street from you haha
Old 07-12-2017, 06:54 PM
TECH Addict

Received 496 Likes on 383 Posts

I attempted to relocate the inlet filter but using the 4" pipe just wasn't feasible with where the turbo was situated and the sway bar and all that.
I also didn't want to place the filter in a spot where it could suck up water should I get stuck in a down pour so right on the turbo was really my only option.
I'm using the CX Racing 4" Core universal intercooler and it actually seems to work quite well despite pulling hot air from behind the radiator.
Old 07-13-2017, 12:18 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

I made 703rwhp @ 16psi with a 3.5" pipe about 30" long to put a 3.5 x 6" filter in my bumper.

i ditched that setup for a turbo screen and made 76xrwhp @ 13psi. I don't recall IAT's, but they were under 100F in both scenarios with my IC and meth.
Old 07-13-2017, 01:58 AM
9 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

My s476 has a 5.5" inlet and I reduce it to a 4" pipe to a knn filter. Only removing the pipe I went from 885 rwhp to 907. The thing this doesn't account for is picking up hot engine bay air as the hood is open. It's not even worth removing the pipe/filter as it pulls cool air in.
Old 07-13-2017, 06:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

Wow I guess you guys answered my question, filter off the turbo ftw and just let the intercooler do it's job!
Old 07-13-2017, 09:37 AM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

This probably goes without being said but install the physically largest possible filter on the compressor housing that fits in the bay to maximize your airflow

Quick Reply: How much HP will I lose, reducer on inducer?